PDA

View Full Version : Almost gave up on Rock 'n' Roll

kf0rt
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
No offense to the musicians hereabouts, but it's hard to find good music for someone who is so narrow-minded about as moi. (sorry.)

Dropped a note in the listening thread here a few days ago, but been listening to KYEN a lot lately. This station kicks ass. Little 16.5KW FM station; transmitter in Rist Canyon, west of Ft. Collins; a good 50-60 mile haul to the NW burbs of Denver, but I can get it in the car.

No advertising - just a semi-regular callsign ID; appears to be completely automated, but whoever is doing the programming is a GOD. Seems like maybe someone with a little money decided to "do it their way."

Anything like this going on in other BC markets?

103.9 here, and they have a web feed at http://rocktherockies.com/listenOnline.php.

NQ6U
09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Not here in San Diego. I had to break down and go to satellite radio. Sirius is Da Kine.

W2NAP
09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
only rock stations i get is the Crapchannel owned Q95 and X103 more commercials then music... and when its music its the same songs over and over and over.

then have the local 96.7 but again seems same songs over and over...

since they allowed the (LPFM) bible banger on 99.1 i cant get 98.9 the bear out of ft wayne anymore.

N7RJD
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Don't feel bad, I gave up on music as a whole years ago.
My first step when I get to work each morning is to turn the Muzak off
which I find to be the most comfortable listening volume.

They say music calms the savage breast but really, who wants calm boobs?

KG4CGC
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I like the college stations here. Furman 85W and Clemson 600W. Did not even know they existed until I made a flat directional antenna for FMBCB and mated it with an old Yamaha receiver. Atlanta GA puts out some strong signals in this direction but I'm more interested in the offerings from the Asheville NC direction. Those are harder as I suspect there are area market agreements. Many stations inbetween here and Atlanta. I mean a lot! Not much coming out of the east with the exception of a DX catch from time to time. One Charlotte station and an occasional Fayetteville. A little out of the south as far down as Columbia and that is further away than Asheville. Highlands NC is only 34 air miles and there is a well placed Mom & Pop Easy Listening station there that operates under 10KW.

I realize you asked about the music, so let's just say the college stations as they are the most eclectic. Everything else is just commercial.

KJ3N
09-15-2010, 09:16 PM
My tastes run a little broader.

WOGL (http://radiotime.com/station/s_21686/981_WOGL.aspx) out of Philadelphia is about the only radio station I listen to when I'm in the car.

The "other half" tends to leave WMGK (http://www.wmgk.com/listen-live/) set on her car radio.

NA4BH
09-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Not here in San Diego. I had to break down and go to satellite radio. Sirius is Da Kine.

Everybody get Sirius or XM. I need my stock to be above $2.59. As of right now, I HAVE A CASE OF THE GONE ASS!!!!!!!!!

I am losing my ass, but my Grandson is rich (bought him a BIG shist load at $0.15 per share).

Do it for the children

NQ6U
09-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Everybody get Sirius or XM. I need my stock to be above $2.59.

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of Sirius/XM stockholders were subscribers before they purchased their shares. That's an interesting statistic.

NA4BH
09-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh,

I have been a subscriber for a LOOOOOONG time (I have 4 Sirius and 2 XM subscriptions). The merger was coming about, so I sez, buy heavy. I have been through several mergers before and have come out smelling like a rose. BUY HEAVY, I SEZ. So I bought at $2.59. Lost my collective ass. When it got down to $0.15 per share, I bought my Grandson a shistload of shares, he is doing very well and I am still losing my collective ass.

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like Philadelphia (WMMR) around 69/70. David Dye.
I can't listen to the radio in the car, I end up cursing at the programs about 3 minutes after I turn it on.
Thought about burning some CDs.

W4RLR
09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Everybody get Sirius or XM. I need my stock to be above $2.59. As of right now, I HAVE A CASE OF THE GONE ASS!!!!!!!!!

I am losing my ass, but my Grandson is rich (bought him a BIG shist load at $0.15 per share).

Do it for the childrenWith five receivers authorized to my account, Bob, I am doing my part.

WØTKX
09-16-2010, 07:50 AM
I like rock and roll, and have a lot in my own collection.

But as far as radio goes, it's KUVO Jazz 89 (http://www.kuvo.org/)

Excellent web streaming... :stickpoke:

KC2SIS
09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I like satellite radio, no matter where you travel you can listen to your favorite stations. A few years back when I was helping my Dad (WS2L) move from Florida to New Jersey he brought his XM receiver. It's nice to not have to stumble through the stations on the dial every half hour when you have passed through a descent signals range.

W1GUH
09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Question about XM (and maybe an admission that I'm too lazy to look it up myself). What do extra receivers cost on an existing account? The same 12.95/mo that I'm paying for one receiver?

I'd love to get a car radio with XM built in (using my portable is a PITA), but not if it's going to double my XM bill.

WØTKX
09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I like satellite radio, no matter where you travel you can listen to your favorite stations. A few years back when I was helping my Dad (WS2L) move from Florida to New Jersey he brought his XM receiver. It's nice to not have to stumble through the stations on the dial every half hour when you have passed through a descent signals range.

Heh, tell your Dad "Flinx" sez hey. Ex-Shacker here. :)

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Question about XM (and maybe an admission that I'm too lazy to look it up myself). What do extra receivers cost on an existing account? The same 12.95/mo that I'm paying for one receiver?

I'd love to get a car radio with XM built in (using my portable is a PITA), but not if it's going to double my XM bill.

No, they give you a break on the second receiver.

N2NH
09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
**Unthinkable!**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY0vGOzCSA

kf0rt
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I enjoyed XM for the year or two I had it (several years ago). Seems like BC radio has gotten a lot better in these parts since then -- less advertising and talk, more tunes. KYEN really caps this with no talk, no advertising and great programming. Besides, I'm starting to think I pay too much per month on "electronic subscriptions" of one sort or another.

KG4CGC
09-16-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.photochopz.com/forum/sinfo.php?f=10215