PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Cheese

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Just found a recipe with a twist - dry white wine - at cooks.com (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,198,132188-240193,00.html)

It's not bad. I used dry vermouth for the wine (a tip I learned from Julia Child), and it adds a really nice touch to the sauce.

Next time I'll use sweet butter and shallots rathern than salted butter and onions.

kc7jty
09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Gourmet Mac & Cheese!? Geezus, I guess if it's still orange it's ok.

W3MIV
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Sounds too much like an up-scale variant of high-school cafeteria macaroni and cheese to me. Way too much fat (not that you can really make the stuff without fat, but there oughta be some limit).

I make a very simple macaroni and cheese using only diced tomatoes (fresh if you can get 'em and have the time to scald, skin and chop 'em -- but canned works OK for me; remember, it's usually a winter dish), grated cheese (I like Irish cheddar, but any sharp cheddar will do in a pinch, or provolone). Crushed red peppers, some Eye-tye herbs (or just basil, either fresh or dehydrated at your pleasure). Dash of salt.

Two and a-half cups macaroni, cooked a bit longer than you would usually cook it. Put half in the bottom of a "Pam-ed" bowl of about two and a-half quarts that is Trumanized (can stand the heat). Spoon about half the tomatoes over the macaroni, sprinkle with the herbs, red pepper and a dash of salt; cover with a layer of grated cheese. Add another layer of macaroni (the balance) and the remainder of the tomatoes. Again, a spritz of herbs, salt and red pepper. Cover with a nice cap of cheese. Don't neglect to add the tomato juice if from a can of diced, or add a bit of tomato juice (and use the rest to make a bloody mary to ease the wait).

Bake the whole magilla for about forty-five minutes or an houah at 350° F, mid oven. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before hacking into it.

Still a load of milk fat from the cheese, but what the hell. Life is too long anyway.

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
That sounds delicious -- gonna try it. "Trumanized" -- :rofl:

W3MIV
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I should have pointed out that I use a deep bowl and not a flat, "lasagna" style dish. Mine are antiques the A&P used to give away back in the Thirties, but I imagine something from Corning would work -- just deeper than wide so that the baked macaroni has some depth. It will serve four generously, six to eight as a side with real food.

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I've got both types and didn't know which to use. I'll try the deep on next time.

NQ6U
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/maccheese.jpg

Mac & Cheese

W3MIV
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Just about any cheese in that pic would work for me in the macaroni save the bleu, the camembert, the glue sticks and the stack of yellow rubber (or are they thick Post-Its?). Swiss is very nice and nutty in a macaroni, as is Jarlsberg.

WØTKX
09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I cook the pasta on the stove, then layer up goodies in a big glass bowl. Feta and Parmesan are the preferred cheeses. Sometimes left over veggies, such as Chinese take-out leftovers.

The big difference is, I use the microwave to melt the goodies in layers, then stir it. Use beer, wine, and other sauces to "tweak", never the same twice, but I know what I like.

Bachelor Chow, Now With Flavor! :dunno:

http://theinfosphere.org/images/9/93/Bachelor_Chow_Bag.png

kc7jty
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't do M&C, gourmet, or Kraft kit.
Barilla Rigatoni w Barilla sauce in a jar poured over it with EV olive oil, red pepper, and fresh grated Pecorino Romano.
If my hand keeps improving I'm goin back to making French bread pizzas in the toaster oven with my homemade sauce.

W4RLR
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I lived on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese while in college, much like our amateur brother Pat lives on ramen. I ate so much of it that I can't stomach the stuff now.

KG4CGC
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I lived on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese while in college, much like our amateur brother Pat lives on ramen. I ate so much of it that I can't stomach the stuff now.
Oooo. I bet you got tape worms often.

WØTKX
09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
I don't do M&C, gourmet, or Kraft kit.
Barilla Rigatoni w Barilla sauce in a jar poured over it with EV olive oil, red pepper, and fresh grated Pecorino Romano.
If my hand keeps improving I'm goin back to making French bread pizzas in the toaster oven with my homemade sauce.

I buy Barilla a lot, and it's cheap. Usually the Penne or Rigatoni, 'cause I like the way tubes hold the sauce.

The "day old" bakery area at my local King Stupors usually has discounted gourmet bread, and I use that to make "french bread pizzas"... usually more like garlic bread with goodies, and very little sauce. Good mushrooms with olive oil and cheap small shrimp is really good.

When I was younger I used to eat the cheap box M&C, usually with a can of mushroom soup and hamburger.

ki4itv
09-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Gourmet Mac & Cheese!? Geezus, I guess if it's still orange it's ok.

Some sins are worth tweaking, Bill.
Just think what our society would be like without BDSM giving our self-appointed moral elite an outlet for their passions of control and psychological domination.
;)

WØTKX
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
"Make me write bad checks" @ 9:06. :snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3-2HgQZcs

W1GUH
09-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Mac and Cheese, while not a "fancy" or gourmet dish, is IMHO one of those iconic comfort foods. I hated it as a kid because it was so plain and tastless -- now I realize that was probably because the crap I ate as a kid was very bland and tasteless. But I can also imagine mac & cheese with a really rich and creamy sauce that wouldn't bear any resmblance to that other crap...and that's what I'm looking for. This particular recipe was a step in the right direction with the wine...but the sauce wasn't as creamy as I'd hoped. Still looking...or probably I'll experiment and see what I can come up with. I don't consider wine in food particularly "gourmet" and "fancy." After all, in this recipe it's "just another indredient." I keep a bottle of dry vermouth like I keep that ubiquitous box of Morton Salt (When it rains, it pours). What I call fancy and gourmet are dishes like Chicken Supremes in a white wine cream sauce with a garnish of julienned mushrooms and carrots or Coq au Vin or Beef Bourgenon. Yea, I LOVE french food.

The recipe with tomatoes that Albi posted looks good & I'm going to try that...but I'd say that strays from "pure" M&C because of the tomatoes. Nevertheless, M&C&T does titillate my tastebuds! I love griled cheese and tomato sandwiches.

Related to Mac and Cheese as a comfort food are Chili Mac and Meatloaf!

WØTKX
09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I make a wicked Salmon Loaf. :mrgreen:

W1GUH
09-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Sounds good, but tell me, (can't help myself), how do you make a "wicked salmon loaf?" Get him/her drunk?

WØTKX
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Oxygen depletion... :snicker:

Just a can of pink salmon, cut up bread (rye and pumpernickel are faves), some nuts and grains like oatmeal, buckwheat, pecans, walnuts, etc. Zucchini and sprouts are really good to mix in. Dill, salt and pepper. One or two eggs depending on size and consistency, it should "slump" like a "normal" meatloaf. Again, I never fix this stuff the same way twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1GvDWtccI

W3MIV
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
When I was younger I used to eat the cheap box M&C, usually with a can of mushroom soup and hamburger.

Wow! Now, THAT's a load of saturated fats! :shock:

WV6Z
09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Mmmmm, Mac 'n' Cheese!

WV6Z
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Ooooo, cool, I just noticed I have been demoted from Grand Exalted Poobah to Master Navigator!

AA0CX
09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok, it's been a few days since I've logged in: The Food and Beverage section is about my favorite -- I don't have much to bitch and carp about except for my upstairs neighbors here who have a plasma television that gets into everything. Well, I key on the Mac and Cheese thread here, and I realize I eat it several times a month. The Kraftbox. And I know I have a box or two lurking in the cupboard. The only additive I've ever put in it is hamburger. But thanks for ideas. Not going to do it tonight, but tomorrow I think I'm going to pick up some 'shrooms, peppers, other stuff when I cruise over to the neighborhood CashWise (supermarket) for my weekly shopping. Tnx for the ideas. Tonight, it will be leftover roast beef...hmmmm...that doesn't sound like a bad additive, either. I need a beer.

kf0rt
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
The only additive I've ever put in it is hamburger..

The gourmands here will cringe, but one of our faves while camping (tents, Coleman stove, etc.) was the Kraftbox of M&C with tuna. Just drain a can or two and mix it in. Gourmet? Albacore in water. :yes:

W3MIV
09-15-2010, 04:41 PM
The gourmands here will cringe, but one of our faves while camping (tents, Coleman stove, etc.) was the Kraftbox of M&C with tuna. Just drain a can or two and mix it in. Gourmet? Albacore in water. :yes:

Were I merciful, I would shoot you before Bill gets here.

kf0rt
09-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Were I merciful, I would shoot you before Bill gets here.

Thank God for small favors! Actually, Albi... your recipe looks pretty tempting. It's in the "must try" category.

WØTKX
09-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Tuna and mac, and even canned crab... :yes:

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Ooooo, cool, I just noticed I have been demoted from Grand Exalted Poobah to Master Navigator!

Life can suck at times, Hi Tom....

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Delete123delete456delete789

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Looks like I'm in with the Ritz crackers and Cheese Whiz crowd here:
http://www.jozev.com/images/categories/Nabisco_Ritz_Crackers_Box-16_oz.jpghttp://www.somethingyoushouldread.com/images/randoms/cheeze_whiz1.jpg

and for 0cx: According to my calculations, the closer you are to Canada the more likely one is to give up on acquiring anything even remotely close to decent in the food and drink arena.

http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/velveeta.jpg
OOOH, YUMMY!
"You just can't beat Velveeta"
I've got news for you sugar, I shit at least once a day....

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/velveeta

kf0rt
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Looks like I'm in with the Ritz crackers and Cheese Whiz crowd here...

Yeah, but don't give up!

NQ6U
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Just WTF is Cheez Whiz anyway? "Pasteurized process cheese food?" What does that mean in English?

AA0CX
09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Just WTF is Cheez Whiz anyway? "Pasteurized process cheese food?" What does that mean in English?

I don't know what it is, precisely. But the Cheese Whiz in a jar isn't bad on crackers. Typically, you find it cupboard-scrounging late at night when you're bored, don't want to drink, and want to watch a little tv before crashing. So you grab the jar in cupboard, or if opened, out of the fridge, and the box of saltines, knife and plate, glass of milk, and head for the tube.
Do they still make the stuff you squeeze from a plastic bottle? I tried it once. Not recommended. I prefer the jar. But back to the question at hand: what is it? Some things are best left unasked, I think.

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 10:31 PM

kc7jty
09-15-2010, 10:33 PM
the stuff you squeeze from a plastic bottle? I tried it once. Not recommended. I prefer the jar.
Tasting notes?

I bet if you ever were offered some really good, funky French brie you wouldn't like it. Smells like classic, extra ripe, summertime, 3 days with the same sox on, toe jam.

W1GUH
09-16-2010, 07:50 AM
For Ritz crackers, there this great, easy, and "can't stop eating it" bar cheeze....

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup horseradish
1 lb Velveet cheese, cubed.

Melt the whole mess in the microwave, stir it up to make it nice and smooth, and refrigerate. Betcha ya can't stop eating it on Ritz Crackers!:yum::yum:

WØTKX
09-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Tasting notes?

I bet if you ever were offered some really good, funky French brie you wouldn't like it. Smells like classic, extra ripe, summertime, 3 days with the same sox on, toe jam.

Brie, the original stinky cheese whiz. :yes:

PA5COR
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Brie and Camembert if you pick the right ones are delicious.
Same goes for the original Dutch cheeses.

But that is personal, nothing beats sitting in the French landscape, void of French peeps, eating a fresh hot Baguette with some real butter, camembert/brie and some fresh orange juice and coffee.....

Does taste good at home too ;)

W3MIV
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Betcha ya can't stop eating it on Ritz Crackers!:yum::yum:

I believe I could safely make that bet.

W3MIV
09-16-2010, 09:51 AM

But that is personal, nothing beats sitting in the French landscape, void of French peeps, eating a fresh hot Baguette with some real butter, camembert/brie and some fresh orange juice and coffee.....

Does taste good at home too ;)

Some of your Dutch cheeses are among my faves, Cor, as are both Brie and Camembert. Also a fan of Roquefort and other French bleus. French peeps ain't so bad; or, maybe they're just an acquired taste, like those cheeses. [;)]

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I love Brie and Camembert, although it can be difficult to find the good stuff. Once you get out of the Paris area, French people are not that different than anyone else.

PA5COR
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
We can get the good brands of Brie and Camembert quite easy here, logically...

Mostly we bake off our baguette's in our oven here, slap on the hot baguette real butter or garlic butter fresh made,and the cheese of choice.
I'm personally not in the blue cheeses, but my wife is, so now and then i pick up a fresh piece for her.

Luckily our shops have an abundancy of food products from all over Europe, so we really can dig in.
My waistline protests, then it's time to ween myself of all the nice goodies...for some time then ;)

Since i will start tomorrow with another business fair, lots of calories will be burned the next week or so, no playing time, but then i can indulge in some food after the fair is over :)

French people are not that bad, speaking their language is a must, my wife does that perfectly, i can get by with basics.
Mostly we rent a house as far away from tourist places as we can get, somewhere on a hill where i can put up a decent OCF and my ham radio.
Looking at your S meter and see S0 on 80 gives DX a new meaning ;)

W1GUH
09-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I pretty much like all cheese (never tried limburger, tho'. Should I?)(well, with the exception of toe cheese and frumunda cheese)...latest discovery for me was goat cheese. Mmmm...so creamy and tasty!

W3MIV
09-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Limburger is an excellent cheese, though quite stinky to most people.

You should not let your olfactory senses stand between you and a new treat, however. It is mild and very flavorful.

A good cheese shop should be able to guide you, Allgäuer is a common brand from Germany and Mohawk is a domestic -- there are better brands, but they may be hard to find. Ask your fromager to make a recommendation. I recommend you cut the rind away from one end, and scoop the soft, inner cheese out for your first venture -- the rind can have a strong taste to which some object. Rye crisp crackers are a good match to Limburger, IMO.

kc7jty
09-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Most of the really good soft ripened cheeses are BANNED here Cor. It's OK to weigh 350 pounds and dine regularly at Micky D's though.

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Some of your Dutch cheeses are among my faves, Cor

Just watch out for the Dutch Gouda cheesecake, Albi!

http://www.daydreamersfancydress.co.uk/acatalog/dutchgirl5.jpg

W1GUH
09-17-2010, 02:32 AM
'COR said:

Just add a great wine from a local winery and a double shot of espresso and that's heaven! Someday I'll get there -- that scenario is a beautiful image!

W3MIV
09-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Just put a batch in the oven.

Made this batch by adding a teaspoon of dried basil to the water in which I cooked the macaroni prior to adding it to the bowl. Subtle, but adds a wonderful piquancy to the tomatoes. Thought about dicing some chorizo cesaro, but the xyl caught me preparing to knife it up. Sometimes it is best to play the Dave-Garroway role (peace, friends) even though it would not have added that much spiciness. I luv sausages; the xyl does not.

Had a nice, though humble, extra-sharp yellow cheddar so used it in thickish (1/4") slabs to seal the top. Now baking for about fifty min.

:yum::yum::yum:

kc7jty
09-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Did you ever spent time in Canada?

W3MIV
09-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Did you ever spent time in Canada?

I am not sure to whom the question is directed, but I have been in Canada a number of times, but only for a week or less at a time. Eastern Canadians are vastly different from their Western counterparts, as are the Québécois and the Atlantic Canadians. Luv 'em all, but the Albertans can be a bit trying at times -- must be something in the name... ;)

kc7jty
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
It was a subtle way of putting your culinary abilities into question.

W3MIV
09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
It was a subtle way of putting your culinary abilities into question.

Way too subtle.

kc7jty
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Years ago I was in Trail, BC Canada. Ordered a pepperoni pizza at a local establishment for dine in. It came with sliced up hot dogs on it. Not to be completely taken I took it up to the counter and said "I ordered a pepperoni pizza, this is a hot dog pizza".
The reply I got was:
"In Canada that is pepperoni".

GTFO!

W3MIV
09-19-2010, 08:46 PM
You were in the wrong end of Canada. I have eaten pepperoni pizza in Toronto. It may not have been a memorable pizza, but it was pepperoni and not severed wieners.

NQ6U
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
You were in the wrong end of Canada. I have eaten pepperoni pizza in Toronto. It may not have been a memorable pizza, but it was pepperoni and not severed wieners.

Just seeing the words "severed wieners" makes me uncomfortable, Albi.

W3MIV
09-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Just seeing the words "severed wieners" makes me uncomfortable, Albi.

You think I may be Lorena Bobbit in drag?

n2ize
09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I pretty much like all cheese (never tried limburger, tho'. Should I?)(well, with the exception of toe cheese and frumunda cheese)...latest discovery for me was goat cheese. Mmmm...so creamy and tasty!

No. You'll die from the stench. My grandma threw it out of the window it was so bad.

n2ize
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I reccomend skipping the cheese whiz, skipping the Mac & Cheese and just going with a couple tall glasses of whiskey.

NQ6U
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
You think I may be Lorena Bobbit in drag?

One never knows...

http://www.ricklatona.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/picresized_1229584137_youreadog.gif

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Only if he's communicating with humans.

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Only if he's communicating with humans.

Maybe...

"On the Internet, nobody can sniff your butt."

n2ize
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Years ago I was in Trail, BC Canada. Ordered a pepperoni pizza at a local establishment for dine in. It came with sliced up hot dogs on it. Not to be completely taken I took it up to the counter and said "I ordered a pepperoni pizza, this is a hot dog pizza".
The reply I got was:
"In Canada that is pepperoni".

Ugggghhhhh. NO WAY !!