PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like They Found The Oil The Microbes Ate...

PA5COR
09-13-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/9/13/901573/-Looks-Like-They-Found-The-Oil-The-Microbes-Ate...

Ooops....:roll:

Scientists on a research vessel in the Gulf of Mexico are finding a substantial layer of oily sediment stretching for dozens of miles in all directions. Their discovery suggests that a lot of oil from the Deepwater Horizon didn't simply evaporate or dissipate into the water — it has settled to the seafloor.
The Research Vessel Oceanus sailed on Aug. 21 on a mission to figure out what happened to the more than 4 million barrels of oil that gushed into the water. Onboard, Samantha Joye, a professor in the Department of Marine Sciences at the University of Georgia, says she suddenly has a pretty good idea about where a lot of it ended up. It's showing up in samples of the seafloor, between the well site and the coast.

Joye describes seeing layers of oily material — in some places more than 2 inches thick — covering the bottom of the seafloor.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6523/thickoiledlayercustom38.jpg
"It's very fluffy and porous. And there are little tar balls in there you can see that look like microscopic cauliflower heads," she says.
It's very clearly a fresh layer. Right below it she finds much more typical seafloor mud. And in that layer, she finds recently dead shrimp, worms and other invertebrates.
(heavysigh) So basically the dirt on the ocean floor is soaking up the oil as it settles. Oh well, I suppose the hungryhungry Microbes dream was nice while it lasted. I'm glad at least that scientists are finding out just what happened. Hopefully some bright engineers will be able to come up with half-decent ways of getting more of it cleaned up. On BP's dime, of course.

NQ6U
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Not at all surprised. I never bought that "the microbes ate it" thing anyhow.

N2NH
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Too bad BP has declared "Mission Accomplished", taken their toys and gone home...

Time to nationalize their assets and liquidate them to offset their debt.

n2ize
09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
All oil and energy research and production should be nationalized. We should take a hint from Hugo Chavez. As for the microbe thing, I highly doubted the microbes at the massive amounts of oil that spewed out of that thing for weeks and weeks and weeks.

W4RLR
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
And all the while, BP issued checks to vendors and claimants, and then stopped payment on the checks.

I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.

As for nationalizing oil exploration, refining, and distribution, while that may be the wet dream of the liberal left and a prospect that makes Maxine Waters positively orgasmic, just take a look at how efficiently other government programs are run. The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O.

KC2UGV
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
And all the while, BP issued checks to vendors and claimants, and then stopped payment on the checks.

I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.

As for nationalizing oil exploration, refining, and distribution, while that may be the wet dream of the liberal left and a prospect that makes Maxine Waters positively orgasmic, just take a look at how efficiently other government programs are run. The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O.

Yeah, because we can't do anything right, like:

* National Defense
* Dept. of the Interior
* FCC
* The FDIC program
* Tricare

et al

There are a number of government programs that are incontestably, ran very well. Some, are subject to debate (Like Social Security).

KC2UGV
09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
As an aside, I think the best way to clean this "loose oil" up would be to put up a sign in the gulf:"If you can get oil without drilling, it's free for the taking"

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 09:23 AM

"I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience."

Would've been better to leave it whole and add "sideways".

"The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O."

I'm with 'UGV. The political leaders F-up all the time. The people actually doing the work have a lot of very talented, dedicated and skilled workers among them. I've known many personallly.

ab1ga
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Shrimp, worms, microbes, and crude oil.
Give McDonald's two years and they'll make it into a new fast food - the McSlurry.

n2ize
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM

* National Defense
* Dept. of the Interior
* FCC
* The FDIC program
* Tricare

et al

There are a number of government programs that are incontestably, ran very well. Some, are subject to debate (Like Social Security).

Not to mention the development of the Internet. A total gubmint failure.

NQ6U
09-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Not to mention the development of the Internet. A total gubmint failure.

Hey, that wasn't the gubberment, that was Al Gore, remember?

yeah, yeah, I know he didn't really say he invented it, he just delivered the funding, but where's the fun in that?

W2NAP
09-15-2010, 12:23 AM

* National Defense
* Dept. of the Interior
* FCC
* The FDIC program
* Tricare

et al

I sure wouldnt consider the FCC ran well.

KC2UGV
09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I sure wouldnt consider the FCC ran well.

Depends on who you ask, and from what perspective. Sure, from the Ham radio and CB side of things, sure it doesn't. From the broadcast and land mobile perspective, they run a pretty tight ship.

W2NAP
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Depends on who you ask, and from what perspective. Sure, from the Ham radio and CB side of things, sure it doesn't. From the broadcast and land mobile perspective, they run a pretty tight ship.

id still have to disagree a bit on the broadcast side. as they are allowing every bible banger around to toss up these translators everywhere thus killing the FM band like the AM band has been killed. how they relaxed the ownership rules giving the likes of clear channel and others to destroy radio.

KA5PIU
09-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Too bad BP has declared "Mission Accomplished", taken their toys and gone home...

Time to nationalize their assets and liquidate them to offset their debt.

Hello.

If the government has anything to do with it the Republicans will put Dick Chaney in charge, give the contract to Halliburton, and have Blackwater USA providing goons.

KG4CGC
09-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Hello.

If the government has anything to do with it the Republicans will put Dick Chaney in charge, give the contract to Halliburton, and have Blackwater USA providing goons.I could see that.

N8YX
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Blackwater (now Xe) is being dismantled and sold off piecemeal.

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Blackwater (now Xe) is being dismantled and sold off piecemeal.

Not true at all. The owner has created a number of shell companies in order to cloak any association with the former Blackwater but the company is still under the same ownership.

N8YX
09-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Not true at all. The owner has created a number of shell companies in order to cloak any association with the former Blackwater but the company is still under the same ownership.
Interesting. I read that those assets were on the block.

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting. I read that those assets were on the block.

Nope--it's nothing but a sleazy move to avoid scrutiny of contracts.