PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Island 2010 NFL Thread

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, the best part of my year is back. I love to participate in gladiator sports by proxy.
Today, I will be watching Bengals @ Pats. I am not sure of the later game. I may try to stay awake for Redskins/Cowboys action. Any predictions? Would anyone else want to post a weekly pool type sheet tba Tuesday morning? Just for fun of course. Maybe for an 'offcial' Island football guru header? I love Sept/Oct. Baseball season ending. High school football on Friday nights. College on Saturdays, NFL, Baseball Suundays. I dont leave the tv these months.

N2CHX
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Go Bills. I have to say it, even though they suck.

NQ6U
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Feh. Football puts me to sleep.

W4GPL
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Go Bills. I have to say it, even though they suck.Only football team in New York State! Squish the fish! Yeah, yeah, it's a mammal -- looks like a damn fish though. :P

With my Bucs on track to have another season below .500 and the embarrassing amount of man love for Tim "The 3rd String QB & Not Even Jesus Can Fix That" Tebow, I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach an entire football season.

kf0rt
09-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Feh. Football puts me to sleep.

:agree:

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
It was painful to watch the Bengals get stomped by the Pats. 38-24. I had the Reds/Pirates game on the little second screen. I switched over to catch the last inning. The reds were ahead 1-0 top of the 9th based loaded, full count. The relief staff could not slam the door shut. The Pirates went on to avoid the sweep 3-1. Not a good day for Cincinnati big leauge teams.

W2NAP
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
i guess the colts got beat i would assume, turned it off b4 it was over

W3WN
09-12-2010, 07:59 PM
It was painful to watch the Bengals get stomped by the Pats. 38-24. I had the Reds/Pirates game on the little second screen. I switched over to catch the last inning. The reds were ahead 1-0 top of the 9th based loaded, full count. The relief staff could not slam the door shut. The Pirates went on to avoid the sweep 3-1. Not a good day for Cincinnati big league teams.

Considering that the Reds won both the first two games of the series in extra innings by one run... get over it.

The bullpen blowing the lead in the late innings? Been there, done (watched enough of) that this season alone...

kb2crk
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
i am happy as the steelers started off this season right.

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Considering that the Reds won both the first two games of the series in extra innings by one run... get over it.

The bullpen blowing the lead in the late innings? Been there, done (watched enough of) that this season alone...Yea, you guys have hit the tragic number.... The reds may be 7 games ahead if St, Louis loses. It has been 20 years since I have heard magic number and Reds in the same sentence. I am a happy camper. Hey this is a NFL thread!!

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 08:12 PM
i am happy as the steelers started off this season right.:agree:

W3WN
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I am happy as the steelers started off this season right.
Jeff Reed's life might have been in danger after the end of regulation. Mr. Automatic missing a 40 yarder?

That said... of course my wife was watching the Pirate game, and was flipping back and forth. And since they won, she had to watch the post game show. So when a commercial hits and she flips to see what's happening in OT... the network had already switched to the late afternoon game, and was just replaying the winning play for the rest of the world. By the time she calls me to run inside and see what happened, and I drop everything, of course I missed it.

I'm sure it will be on the 11:00 news though.

These things happen when you live with a baseball fanatic.

W3WN
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Yea, you guys have hit the tragic number.... The reds may be 7 games ahead if St, Louis loses. It has been 20 years since I have heard magic number and Reds in the same sentence. I am a happy camper. Hey this is a NFL thread!!

It's not that I'm rooting FOR the Reds... but I'm definitely rooting AGAINST the Cardinals, specifically, La Russa and his hitting coach.

And it's nice to know that it's possible for a small market team to stockpile enough talent to make a run for the playoffs and succeed. To bad that despite their lip service, that's clearly not the Nutting's goal.

But like you said, this IS a football thread.

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Jeff Reed's life might have been in danger after the end of regulation. Mr. Automatic missing a 40 yarder?

That said... of course my wife was watching the Pirate game, and was flipping back and forth. And since they won, she had to watch the post game show. So when a commercial hits and she flips to see what's happening in OT... the network had already switched to the late afternoon game, and was just replaying the winning play for the rest of the world. By the time she calls me to run inside and see what happened, and I drop everything, of course I missed it.

I'm sure it will be on the 11:00 news though.

These things happen when you live with a baseball fanatic.There is an October cure for that...I bet you have already figured that one out. Does your wife understand that the bucos have already reached the tragic number?

W3WN
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
There is an October cure for that...I bet you have already figured that one out. Does your wife understand that the bucos have already reached the tragic number?
A True Fan(atic) doesn't care about the, ah, tragic number (good name for it).

We concentrate on the few positives. For example: How about that Neil Walker? And to think that the current management tried to bury him in the minors because he was drafted by the previous managment (the schmucks).

I think that by the end of spring training, between him, McCutcheon, Tabata, Alvarez, and recent trade acquisition Chris Snyder, we're back to having half of a great team. Of course, that's the problem... we only have half of a great team.

But we really should start a different thread on the tragedy across the river, and let this one get back to foooootball.

suddenseer
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM
A True Fan(atic) doesn't care about the, ah, tragic number (good name for it).

We concentrate on the few positives. For example: How about that Neil Walker? And to think that the current management tried to bury him in the minors because he was drafted by the previous managment (the schmucks).

I think that by the end of spring training, between him, McCutcheon, Tabata, Alvarez, and recent trade acquisition Chris Snyder, we're back to having half of a great team. Of course, that's the problem... we only have half of a great team.

But we really should start a different thread on the tragedy across the river, and let this one get back to foooootball.Well the pirates used to be a partially owned by the city so the records were public. I was a kid during the Big Red Machine days. It was easy to be a reds fan.

The Steelers are looking good so far.... for sure.

W3WN
09-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Well the Pirates used to be a partially owned by the city < snip > And look where it got them.

But don't get me started.

W1GUH
09-13-2010, 08:41 AM
NFL? You mean the season starts before the World Series....well, I'll be!

WØTKX
09-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Well... y'all are gonna hate me now. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWvxjbKoWE

suddenseer
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Well... y'all are gonna hate me now. ;) He is 24 years too late. I did a similar rant at the local comedy club on open mic night. I won $100 for it.