PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

W3WN
09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
We just got back a little while ago from seeing a performance of The Phantom Of the Opera.

For years I've heard about what a great play this was, and since this is one of the last stops on the official tour (which ends this season), we went ahead and got tickets.

I must be missing something. I don't get it.

The plot was vague and hard to follow. It didn't help that we couldn't make out half the dialog (so much for the great acoustics in the Benedum Center. Hah!). But I really felt like they figured everyone knew the story or had seen the play before, so they took a few shortcuts here and there...

I walked out of there disappointed. Same feeling I had the last time they had the "Broadway Tour" of Fiddler on the Roof (which my in-laws surprised us with tickets for, not that I haven't seen it a hundred times) which turned out to be a non-Equity cast that, well, stunk.

So what am I missing here?

NQ6U
09-11-2010, 11:38 PM
It's a Broadway musical--you can't expect it to make sense. Just watch and dig the music, assuming you're into show tunes. If you aren't into show tunes, then don't bother going.

Personally, I prefer a real opera (ideally one sung in Italian, although French is also acceptable), over a pop musical about them.

kb2crk
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
i just saw phantom on broadway in july and even in the nose bleed seats the acoustics at the majestic were excelent and i missed no dialog. andrew lloyd webber is a little off his rocker so yes sometimes the story line can get blurred.

W4RLR
09-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I much preferred "Cats". Even my parents loved it. Despite what you may hear, we do get the Broadway touring companies in this little piece of the Redneck Riviera, we have a beautiful venue called the Mattie Kelly Arts Center at Northwest Florida State College. Great acoustics and not a bad seat in the house.

W2NAP
09-12-2010, 12:47 AM
i see cats everyday... they allways sit on the other side of the fence and tease the dogs

WX7P
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I felt the same way about Les Miserables, when I saw it in SF in the late '80's. We had great seats, right in the 3rd row, but I just couldn't get into the play at all. The production and pit orchestra were far more interesting than the show itself.

w2amr
09-14-2010, 03:36 AM
We just got back a little while ago from seeing a performance of The Phantom Of the Opera.

For years I've heard about what a great play this was, and since this is one of the last stops on the official tour (which ends this season), we went ahead and got tickets.

I must be missing something. I don't get it.

The plot was vague and hard to follow. It didn't help that we couldn't make out half the dialog (so much for the great acoustics in the Benedum Center. Hah!). But I really felt like they figured everyone knew the story or had seen the play before, so they took a few shortcuts here and there...

I walked out of there disappointed. Same feeling I had the last time they had the "Broadway Tour" of Fiddler on the Roof (which my in-laws surprised us with tickets for, not that I haven't seen it a hundred times) which turned out to be a non-Equity cast that, well, stunk.

So what am I missing here?Stop wasting your money on Broadway shows , People will start to think you're gay.:mrgreen:

W3WN
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Stop wasting your money on Broadway shows , People will start to think you're gay.:mrgreen:

It wasn't my money. OK, I paid for parking, but that's only $5.

I can't control what the boss spends her money on.

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Stop wasting your money on Broadway shows , People will start to think you're gay.:mrgreen:

Uh-huh. Last one I saw was Chicago. I'll be charitable and say it's probably a mistake to go to any Broadway show that was a smash and has been there way too long. Seems that after the initial rush is over and the play's established as a "tourist" show, they really, really skimp on the quality of the cast. Same words for Cats.

OTOH, Hughie (http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=4796)(Al Pacino, Paul Benedict), Solome (http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=13498), Take Me Out (http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=13460), and Long Day's Journey into Night (http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=13474) were outstanding, transcendant performances. Not to mention right over the heads of the average tourist.

In other words, stay away from the "hits", they usually suck. That's a pity. I'd love to see Jersey Boys, but by now, I'm sure it sucks big time. And I won't even consider "cover band concerts" like Mama Mia and Movin' out.

The BEST Broadway show I think I've ever seen was Evita in '81. (no relation to the movie with the talentless actress) Or maybe the original How to Succeed with Robert Morse.

Off Broadway is excellent, too. The last one I saw was Children of Childern (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/madmendreamers), a very outstanding rock opera. I'll find a better link for that. You can probably find it on Youtube, too. The great, great, great things about off Broadway is that the productions are almost always much more energetic than on Broadway -- the performers really put their hearts into their art, the venues are small, and the tickets are very affordable.

W1GUH
09-14-2010, 08:22 AM
I saw this version of Phantom of the Opera (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056347/) (1962), and I thought it was great. Sounds like it was much better done that the play.

KC2UGV
09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Rent, Twisted, and Phantom were phenomenal broadway shows. Phantom's story line was pretty easy to follow (It does fade in some areas), but not sure how, especially you (Being a pretty sharp tack and all), found it hard to follow :shock:

Girl is in stage show, as second rate performer. The Phantom doesn't like the lead, so causes an accident, bringing the second rate into the lime light. Phantom's fav is already is in love, but finds herself torn by her love.

People now hunt down the Phantom, he sacrifices himself so she could escape.

Simplistic rendering, sure. But easy enough to follow.

w2amr
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
It wasn't my money. OK, I paid for parking, but that's only $5.

I can't control what the boss spends her money on.
Ok. I guess if I was in your position and had to choose between a nite out watching your baseball team, and watching a broadway show...................:lol: