PDA

View Full Version : I Left in Disbelief !!

n2ize
09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
A co-worker/friend of mine has began telling me three years ago that he is teaching his wife how to play the drums and, how she seems to have a natural talent for drumming. For the past year and a half he has been bragging to everyone about how good she plays and how she has far surpassed his percussion skills.

Well, I finally got to hear the little lady play. Now, I'm not an expert on drumming, but, as a general music listener, and as an avid jazz listener, i have an ear for skilled drumming.

Well, she was at first a bit embarrassed to play for a small audience and, frankly I don;t blame her. hate to say it but...she is pretty bad. Her timing is way off, she can't seem to hold a basic rhythm for very long and she seems weak in the most basic drum rudiments. Of course I was polite and I didn't voice me actually feelings about her playing but, the end result...she needs a good drum instructor and a lot of practice. And, if he was her teacher and she has , according to him, surpassed even his skills, well, it doesn't bode well for his skills or teaching ability. What she really needs, is a real drumming teacher who can help her to develop a sense of timing and rhythm and also make her fluent in the basic rudiments of drumming.

The thing that puzzles me, what drives people to believe that a familiy member is talented at something when in reality they are not. reminds me of these guys who would tel me that their kids are baseball or football stars. But when i would watch them play it was immediately obvious they are not.

Am I being too critical or, has anyone else experienced this with people bragging about talent where it simply does not exist ?

In any event I hope she finds herself a real teacher who can teach her to play the drums right.

NQ6U
09-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Just tell her the six little words aspiring musicians love to hear:

"Don't give up your day job!"

n2ize
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Just tell her the six little words aspiring musicians love to hear:

"Don't give up your day job!"

HAH !!! In her case... very good advice.

W5GA
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
People see what they want to see in those close to them. They hardly ever see what is. All babies are beautiful in Mom's eyes.

KA5PIU
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Hello.

Kind of like that in any profession.
In truck driving, some are a natural, get the concept very quickly.
Others can hardly handle a car.
Yet, to hear it, some people can drive anything.
Construction equipment operator, here a high school dropout can excel.
There is very little in the form of formal training, it is almost all OJT.
People who can hardly read can do well.
But the guy who has a few years of college, like an engineer? nothing but trouble.
It is more feel and less study.
The machine I hate the most is the one I am best at, the motor grader.
In fact, I was very upset, when as a kid, I discovered that I really suck at the guitar, practice my arse! I really suck!
What I am good at is operating machinery, that is my talent.
High school,,,
Football, too small.
Band, suck.
Tennis, suck.
But I could out drive everyone else!

N7RJD
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
People see what they want to see in those close to them. They hardly ever see what is. All babies are beautiful in Mom's eyes.

That or telling his wife that was cheap insurance to never have to whine about his wife not giving him any. Not that anything like that would ever be posted on
a family oriented AR website.

N2NH
09-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Apparently beauty is not the only thing that is in the eye of the beerholder.

ki4itv
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Yeah, but dad on the other hand, wouldn't waste a minute telling me my code fist sux.
'Don't cut out your tongue boy'
'Your code is like Chinese water torture... slow, steady, but grows increasingly more painful with prolonged exposure.'

:lol:
"all in fun, of course?"

KC2UGV
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
All babies are beautiful in Mom's eyes.

And I can attest there are some ugly fucking babies out there...

W4RLR
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
And I can attest there are some ugly fucking babies out there...And as case in point, I refer to my avatar.

KA5PIU
09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Hello.

Ugly?!
You want ugly!?

VK3ZL
09-09-2010, 02:06 AM
And as case in point, I refer to my avatar.

Yeah well, I wasn't really gunna mention it here, but....:dunno:

Bob..VK3ZL..