PDA

View Full Version : Solar power beacon on 13.560 mHz

N2CHX
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I have temporarily put up my beacon. It transmits "L" at 10 WPM on 13.560 mHz (Part 15) and puts out about 5 mW into a 1/4 wave vertical.

I'm testing its new solar power system I built for it. About 20 sq in of solar cells and 6 AA NiMH 2500 AH batteries should keep it going 24/7 even if it's cloudy.

Let me know if you hear it. Antenna isn't set up very well right now but I'll move it later today possibly.

N8YX
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
So what the L does that stand for?

And if the Taylorsville Pirate ever fires back up on or around that frequency you're gonna get QRMed fiercely.

W3WN
09-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I have temporarily put up my beacon. It transmits "L" at 10 WPM on 13.560 mHz (Part 15) and puts out about 5 mW into a 1/4 wave vertical. < snip ?>
13.560 milli Hertz?

(I know, I know, but technically, that's what a small "m" means!)

Sorry to say, it's too far out of band for me to hear on either the Omni or the Corsair.

N2CHX
09-07-2010, 11:26 AM
So what the L does that stand for?

It's the only lesbian beacon in the US. :yes::lol:

N8YX
09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Did you get Lizzie to help subsidize the outfit? :-P

W3WN
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Uh, sure.

But since you brought the subject up...

Went to the Pirates game with our son last Saturday; he came up from DC to participate in the annual fantasy football draft with his HS pals, and this was the first time he'd gone to a game with us at PNC Park since he started working for the Nationals (save for his bachelor party, but he didn't go to that game with us. Well kinda, but that's another story.) His buddies at the Pirates comped him some really nice seats, and we enjoyed the game even though the Nats crushed the Pirates. Even the Pirate Parrot came up to see him, even teased him a little by making elbow references (Bud was wearing a Stephen Strasburg jersey, and he just underwent Tommy Johns elbow reconstruction surgery, but I digress)

It was also a "Skyblast" fireworks & concert night. Well, the people sitting behind us left in the 7th inning. Right before the Skyblast actually starts (it takes about 20-25 minutes to set up after a game) these four pretty, college age bimbos come over and take the seats behind us.

Note to KG4CGC: No, I don't have pictures, I forgot the damn camera. Wish I hadn't.

3 of the 4 were very drunk. 1 wasn't. She's the one who kept apologizing. She's also the one who kept grabbing her one blonde friend and pulling her shorts back up (she was wearling lime green underwear with pink elastic... wasn't hard to miss when she kept swinging her hips into the back & side of my head) and her t-shirt back down (she had a very interesting series of brown stars on her side... like I said).

They were also, ah, quite friendly with each other. Let's just say kissing and groping and first base. Now personally, I really don't care... but between the dancer nailing me in the head with her hips, elbowing my wife and daughter, and getting Bud in the back of his head with her knees (not all at the same time, mind you, but still), and turning around to ask her to stop and then getting to witness the, ah, friendliness...

Like I said, the sober one (designated driver?) kept apologizing. I started to politely ask them to change seats, but the boss stopped me; she didn't want to see me get in a fight with drunks, not in front of my daughter at least). And fortunately, they left right before the concert & grand finale ended.

Afterwards, my daughter asked us "were they gay or something?" I said something on the lines of "looks like it, but they were too drunk to ask." And she then vowed never to touch a drop of alcohol in her life.

NQ6U
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Must be lonely...

KG4CGC
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
W3WN de KG4CGC: noted.

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll check this when I get back to the house.

N8YX
09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Coming soon to a Girls Gone Wild! DVD near you...

NQ6U
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Coming soon to a Girls Beacons Gone Wild! DVD near you...

Fixed that for you.

kf0rt
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Uh, sure.

But since you brought the subject up...

Went to the Pirates game with our son last Saturday; he came up from DC to participate in the annual fantasy football draft with his HS pals, and this was the first time he'd gone to a game with us at PNC Park since he started working for the Nationals (save for his bachelor party, but he didn't go to that game with us. Well kinda, but that's another story.) His buddies at the Pirates comped him some really nice seats, and we enjoyed the game even though the Nats crushed the Pirates. Even the Pirate Parrot came up to see him, even teased him a little by making elbow references (Bud was wearing a Stephen Strasburg jersey, and he just underwent Tommy Johns elbow reconstruction surgery, but I digress)

It was also a "Skyblast" fireworks & concert night. Well, the people sitting behind us left in the 7th inning. Right before the Skyblast actually starts (it takes about 20-25 minutes to set up after a game) these four pretty, college age bimbos come over and take the seats behind us.

Note to KG4CGC: No, I don't have pictures, I forgot the damn camera. Wish I hadn't.

3 of the 4 were very drunk. 1 wasn't. She's the one who kept apologizing. She's also the one who kept grabbing her one blonde friend and pulling her shorts back up (she was wearling lime green underwear with pink elastic... wasn't hard to miss when she kept swinging her hips into the back & side of my head) and her t-shirt back down (she had a very interesting series of brown stars on her side... like I said).

They were also, ah, quite friendly with each other. Let's just say kissing and groping and first base. Now personally, I really don't care... but between the dancer nailing me in the head with her hips, elbowing my wife and daughter, and getting Bud in the back of his head with her knees (not all at the same time, mind you, but still), and turning around to ask her to stop and then getting to witness the, ah, friendliness...

Like I said, the sober one (designated driver?) kept apologizing. I started to politely ask them to change seats, but the boss stopped me; she didn't want to see me get in a fight with drunks, not in front of my daughter at least). And fortunately, they left right before the concert & grand finale ended.

Afterwards, my daughter asked us "were they gay or something?" I said something on the lines of "looks like it, but they were too drunk to ask." And she then vowed never to touch a drop of alcohol in her life.

Next time you forget your camera, we'll pass on the 1,000-word substitute. :rofl: :rofl:

(C'mon, you KNOW you were thinking it!)

N2CHX
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Did you get Lizzie to help subsidize the outfit? :-P

Lizzie is listening to it all the way over in the UK.

N2CHX
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I doubt they were really gay. I know a lot of straight women who get "friendly" with each other when drunk. Then there's the "get guys all hot by getting it on with each other" types. Silliness and annoying if you ask me.

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I doubt they were really gay. I know a lot of straight women who get "friendly" with each other when drunk. Then there's the "get guys all hot by getting it on with each other" types. Silliness and annoying if you ask me.

It's called "Bar Trendy". A take from bi-trendy, which is acting "bi-sexual" because it's "cool".

I think De came up with that terminology, if I'm not mistaken.

WØTKX
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Next time you forget your camera, we'll pass on the 1,000-word substitute. :rofl: :rofl:

(C'mon, you KNOW you were thinking it!)

What the hell and so what? These are better than stories on the 'ZeD. ;)

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Very faint here.

WD4ICJ
10-27-2011, 01:00 AM
You guys on 13.560mhz seem to be really few and far between! Any more of you out there? I plan to try it myself soon. How do I keep from going over the radiation limit without a good feild strength meter? How did you arrive at 5mw into a 1/4 wave vertical as being safe? Could you go 10mw without going over? Listening for "L's" here in FL! Ron

KC2UGV
10-27-2011, 06:35 AM
You guys on 13.560mhz seem to be really few and far between! Any more of you out there? I plan to try it myself soon. How do I keep from going over the radiation limit without a good feild strength meter?

You can't be sure without one. But a "good" field meter only runs about 30 40 bucks :) Rat Shack's is pretty decent, actually:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036239&filterName=Category

Nevermind, that's not the rat shack meter I thought. The one I have also has a FS meter mode on it, with antenna connector.

How did you arrive at 5mw into a 1/4 wave vertical as being safe? Could you go 10mw without going over? Listening for "L's" here in FL! Ron

I think this question would be best answered by Kelli :)

WD4ICJ
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Loved hearing about the "L Beacon". Kelli - How did you arrive at the 5mw power level being safe, without a field strength meter to measure the FCC's uv/m limit? Or, maybe you have a meter. ??? Please advise.

Also, was your beacon really heard in the UK? Any other reception reports? Thanks! Ron WD4ICJ

WØTKX
11-09-2011, 01:04 AM
I keep forgetting to listen for the "L", so I finally saved it as a "memory" on my Flex 3000. Pop it into VFO "B" and I can listen for it when I'm farting around on other frequencies. Keep listening for it, nothing so far. With the current conditions I should listen at night too, even tho I get home at about 12:00 AM MST from work.

Been OTA for about an hour every other day or so, just on 10 or 12 meters. BANG, I keep working DX... barefoot with a lowly Gap Titan.