PDA

View Full Version : Power management in appliances.

KA5PIU
09-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Hello.

Saw this and think it is cute.
http://www.microfridge.com/consumer/features/safe_plug.html
What it is.
A microwave uses a lot of power, but only for a short time.
A refrigerator uses a bit of power, but only when it is actually cooling.
So the refrigerator plugs into the back of the microwave.
While the microwave is cooking the refrigerator is off, limiting the amount of power used at that moment to a safe value.
This is not all that uncommon in Japan but an innovation in the US.
Also, in Japan this can be a part of a complete power management system, with a small air conditioner and perhaps a water heater being part of the package.
This does not decrease the use of energy, just manages it over time.

N2NH
09-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Not a bad idea. Now how cheap is it? Living in a recession you know and...

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! It's up there. Not astronomically so, but up there...

When it becomes cheap enough, it'll have a better chance of going mainstream. Looks like the kind of stuff hotels would be interested in.

One thing... if you're charging via the plug set up and it's constantly going on and off isn't that exactly what you don't want to do to the battery in your Cell, H/T or other electronics?

KA5PIU
09-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Hello.

It would appear that the cellphone and other appliances of low current are kept on.
And, there is no reason you could not make your own, the relay that energized the microwave would need to have 2 throw positions.
The position that is normally closed would provide power to the refrigerator.
The power bar for charging would be connected to the input proper.

KA5PIU
09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Hello.

For some reason,,,,.
I got the microwave put back together, this unit does indeed have a relay with a SPDT contact set.
It took all of an hour to drill a hole and add a junction box.
Now, when the microwave is on standby the refrigerator socket is hot.
The accessory socket that runs a power strip is always hot, 2 amp circuit breaker.
When the microwave is running the refrigerator is off.
The refrigerator now has a 3 minute delay after power is reapplied to prevent short cycle.
The power junction has an 11 amp breaker and AFCI/GFCI plus 5 and 2 amp breakers for the sockets.
This is mounted on a cart and so was very easy to do, diabetic bachelor.

W1GUH
09-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Speaking of appliances, I need a service manual for my microwave - a recent RCA. I've found sites where you can pay to get one -- are there any where they're free? If not, who can recommend a site where you get your money's worth.

Back to topic --

OK...fridge turns off when you're nuking. How much does that save, really? I use my microwave with such a tiny duty (:bbh:) cycle that it doesn't seem like I'd ever notice the reduced energy use. Besides, it'd only save if the compressor is running on the fridge. Or do I have something wrong here?

NQ6U
09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
What I want is "microwave" refrigerator. That is, a device in which you can place something that is at room temperature and have it cool down in a matter of seconds. Think of how useful that would be.

Yes, I do understand that it's impossible, at least with current technology, but that doesn't keep me from wanting one anyway.

w3bny
09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
What I want is "microwave" refrigerator. That is, a device in which you can place something that is at room temperature and have it cool down in a matter of seconds. Think of how useful that would be.

Yes, I do understand that it's impossible, at least with current technology, but that doesn't keep me from wanting one anyway.

Yeah but not a lot of folks have a dewar of liquid nitrogen in the kitchen to cool down leftover chickens.

PA5COR
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
We have 20 Amp fuses and 230 volts.
4600 watts per group, i have 5 groups.
No need to switch off a device because another one is running too

;)

kf0rt
09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Speaking of appliances, I need a service manual for my microwave - a recent RCA. I've found sites where you can pay to get one -- are there any where they're free? If not, who can recommend a site where you get your money's worth.

Back to topic --

OK...fridge turns off when you're nuking. How much does that save, really? I use my microwave with such a tiny duty (:bbh:) cycle that it doesn't seem like I'd ever notice the reduced energy use. Besides, it'd only save if the compressor is running on the fridge. Or do I have something wrong here?

Seems like it'd only really be useful for places where there isn't enough current to power both, or for demand metering, where they add a surcharge for peak current used.

W4GPL
09-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Back to topic --

OK...fridge turns off when you're nuking. How much does that save, really? I use my microwave with such a tiny duty (:bbh:) cycle that it doesn't seem like I'd ever notice the reduced energy use. Besides, it'd only save if the compressor is running on the fridge. Or do I have something wrong here?Check your PM..

W4GPL
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
My apartment complex recently upgrade all of our appliances to "Energy Savers". Dish washer, washer/dryer, even the wall shaker A/C unit. It easily cut my power bill by a noticeable amount each month. It takes easily twice as long to run the dishwasher, but I'm ok with that if it's using far less electricity. The idea is counter intuitive, but it works.

kf0rt
09-07-2010, 04:26 PM

;)

Only 15 Amp / 120 here, though some outlets are 20 Amp.
Most houses here are wired for 240, but only have 240 V outlets for stove/oven and clothes dryer.
1800 watts per circuit, but most houses have 12-15 circuits.
We practically invented electricity. ;) :lol:

PA5COR
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Standard is 16 Amps, we upgraded to 20.( depends on the wiring which was new here)
Most homes have 380 volts 3 phase for electric cooking already installed just needs a cooker installed to get it to work.
Even with 16 Amps running a P.A. is no problem, The Heathkit SB-1000 doesn't make a dent in the voltage running flat out.

All underground lines, 10 KV and lower.
No power poles to worry about, just the odd transformer house, well shielded.
In the 24 years i live in this house we had 2 times a power out, one lasting all of one hour, the other 15 minutes...( what took them that long?)

Looks like you need to upgrade there :)

KA5PIU
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello.

In some places like a dorm or motel room you only have one outlet to work with, for everything.
The last thing you want to have happen is a breaker opening, as there may be a policy against cooking in the room.
So you limit the power you use, one way or another, I prefer the one way.
With OTR trucking I had a Kenworth T-600 B that had a dedicated inverter for the refrigerator.
For cooking I would use a small microwave and AC power from the dock, the connectors for block heaters.
The 400 watt microwave I bought was so small and the refrigerator so tiny that power management was not an issue.
Even with everything going I was under 10 amps.
But if I were to do power management I could have easily limited that to under 5 amps.
That is now within the realm of the built-in power inverter or engine driven AC generator.
And one of the reasons I did not eat healthy while on the road was my inability to get good food cheap enough.
Truck stop food is both expensive and not that healthy.
Since I have a Exprs card as well as a TWIC card, and hold Hazmat and class A, Mexican work permit and Canadian clearance and have hauled pretty much everything there is, I could make to money now, if only hauling old machinery into Mexico and pipe out.
But I am now a diabetic, diet controlled, and that is the key, diet.

W4RLR
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM

;)Another trip down memory lane. That and the hefty transformers we military types had to use to step down Euro voltage to U.S. specs. Eventually I just bought Euro appliances and got rid of the transformers. Then the military closed Soesterberg Air Base and I had to sell all of my Euro appliances....

KA5PIU
09-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Hello.

Now nearly everything is AC/DC 110/220 50/60Hz.
But I made it a point to buy stuff with "Universal" motors and 110/220 option.
Even my Panasonic TV has a knob on it for NTSC/PAL in several flavors.
I bought pocket portables with FM that was in 2 or more bands or the whole thing, 76 to 108 MHz, with Soviet 65 to 74 MHz being a simple and quick mod.
But if I was in a Soviet bloc country I did not carry a radio, not that it might draw attention but that it might get stolen!
In Communist countries everything was a luxury.

W1GUH
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Only 15 Amp / 120 here, though some outlets are 20 Amp.
Most houses here are wired for 240, but only have 240 V outlets for stove/oven and clothes dryer.
1800 watts per circuit, but most houses have 12-15 circuits.
We practically invented electricity. ;) :lol:

"Most houses here are wired for 240, but only have 240 V outlets for rock-crusher amp, stove/oven and clothes dryer.

kf0rt
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
"Most houses here are wired for 240, but only have 240 V outlets for rock-crusher amp, stove/oven and clothes dryer.

When I was a mere lad, I had to run an extra 240 line from the dryer for the "rock crusher." It was either that or set the rig up in the laundry area.

WØTKX
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
The fun happens after :50 :snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jLpd-_gdY

KA5PIU
09-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Hello.

Kind of like killing a CB radio in your front lawn.

PA5COR
09-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Still using a 230/110 volt trannsformer for the cartridge cleaner ( US made).
Got it cheap on E Bay, nice to get cleaned brass again.

Another trip down memory lane. That and the hefty transformers we military types had to use to step down Euro voltage to U.S. specs. Eventually I just bought Euro appliances and got rid of the transformers. Then the military closed Soesterberg Air Base and I had to sell all of my Euro appliances....

W1GUH
09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
When I was a mere lad, I had to run an extra 240 line from the dryer for the "rock crusher." It was either that or set the rig up in the laundry area.

Did that myself at first. But then added a sub-panel in the shack. That was a really fun project.

W3WN
09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
The fun happens after :50 :snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jLpd-_gdY

Now what did that poor flower bed do to deserve that?