PDA

View Full Version : In a shocking blow to toe tapping politicians every where, CL dumps adult-services..

W4GPL
09-06-2010, 04:19 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/05/craigslist.censored/?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Online classified service Craigslist's decision to censor its adult services section is a "good step but a continuing battle has to be fought," a leader in the fight against prostitution ads said on Sunday.

"I'm very pleased by this very solid and significant apparent step in the right direction," said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who spearheaded a recent letter from 17 attorneys general urging Craigslist to discontinue its adult services section.

"I say apparent because we have received no definite or definitive word from Craigslist that the shutdown is permanent or complete," Blumenthal told CNN's Tom Foreman.

----

Brush up on your toe tapping signals, anonymous sex will have to be found the old fashioned way for awhile. :(

Not that it matters to me.. :shifty:

Really...

Stop judging me!

W4GPL
09-06-2010, 04:21 AM
..a continuing battle has to be foughtHrm.. why? Who here has ever been harmed by a prostitute? -- unless that's what you wanted. :shifty:

suddenseer
09-06-2010, 05:48 AM

(CNN) -- Online classified service Craigslist's decision to censor its adult services section is a "good step but a continuing battle has to be fought," a leader in the fight against prostitution ads said on Sunday.

"I'm very pleased by this very solid and significant apparent step in the right direction," said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who spearheaded a recent letter from 17 attorneys general urging Craigslist to discontinue its adult services section.

"I say apparent because we have received no definite or definitive word from Craigslist that the shutdown is permanent or complete," Blumenthal told CNN's Tom Foreman.

----

Brush up on your toe tapping signals, anonymous sex will have to be found the old fashioned way for awhile. :(

Really...

Stop judging me!No judgement here bro.

KG4CGC
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Just a few short months ago, the police were in love with Craigslist because they said it was an excellent resource for following and tracking down all the sex criminals that advertised and responded to the ads. Now, the lawmakers are shooting the cops in the foot, the arm and the face by taking away such a valuable resource. This will make it harder for law enforcement to find and prosecute these people as they will move to more obscure methods that will take years for the cops to pick up on.
Lawmakers are voting against their own best interest by politicizing this and creating more bullshat feelgood legislation that is NOTHING MORE THAN A GRAND SHOW FOR THE DUMBASS VOTERS whom they not only consider to be of sub-par intelligence, but smelly and truly gullible.

N8YX
09-06-2010, 02:42 PM
The stuff will just migrate to "Casual Encounters" or somewhere else on the site. Code phrases and words will be invented and utilized...

Nothing more than a giant game of Wack-A-Mole, and by passing such a measure our legislators showed how really out of touch they are with regards to the 'Net's workings.

suddenseer
09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
On the Larry Craig thing. I found a related funny maybe phony advice column in Gay.com.

Dear Dick,
I love cruising public restrooms.
I know some guys think it's old-fashioned or dangerous, that there’s the Internet for hookups so I don't need to do that. But I can’t help myself. I love the rebellious act of using a public space to get off in. I love the nervous energy of the other guys who are there cruising too. I love showing off at a urinal (I’m big), and I love the quick, dirty, action that follows.
I know that there's the downside of being arrested. I've been arrested twice for lewd conduct, myself, but I don’t really care about that. It’s not like I’m running for government office. My problem is that my friends think it’s gross, and they’re all judging me for what I do.
How do I tell them to shut up? It’s my life, isn’t it?

Toilet Guy

Dear George Michael,
Yes, it is your life so you can do whatever you want no matter what judgments are tossed your way. Yes, famous playwright Joe Orton was a champion of the public toilet and all the many gay delights that come with it (pardon the pun). And yes, there are other guys who still cruise public restrooms and love it just as much as you do.
But here’s the thing: Other people need to use that place just because they have to pee really badly. And if you’re in there hogging the urinal just because you’re hoping to see some action then you’re kind of being rude by disallowing others to use the place for its actual intended purpose. That’s right, it’s simply not polite. Some guys, gay or straight, just need to pee and you're in there making them uncomfortable with your willy wagging.
Now, about that other stuff. Yes, it’s totally dangerous and you can be arrested or robbed or murdered or wind up in the middle of some media circus sting if your chosen partner happens to be a senator himself (those guys seem to love cruising public toilets). Your STD risk is higher because anonymous sex tends to lower the participants’ regard for each others’ well-being, and frankly it’s all just too fraught with terrible potential consequences.
Many cities offer places to enjoy public sex that don't involve public parks, restrooms, or driveways where you can run into some innocent person who's just trying to jog, pee, or park his car. Sex clubs and bath houses do exist in some cities, so stop being cheap and pay the cover to get in and get off. You can also cruise someone online and set up a public sex fantasy scenario in their driveway or backyard. Be creative and you can still get the adrenaline rush you love without bothering innocents and risking danger.

W3WN
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Just a few short months ago, the police were in love with Craigslist because they said it was an excellent resource for following and tracking down all the sex criminals that advertised and responded to the ads. Now, the lawmakers are shooting the cops in the foot, the arm and the face by taking away such a valuable resource. This will make it harder for law enforcement to find and prosecute these people as they will move to more obscure methods that will take years for the cops to pick up on.
Lawmakers are voting against their own best interest by politicizing this and creating more bullshat feelgood legislation that is NOTHING MORE THAN A GRAND SHOW FOR THE DUMBASS VOTERS whom they not only consider to be of sub-par intelligence, but smelly and truly gullible.
Well, it was thanks to the hard work of the Attorney General's of about a dozen or so states that led to this action. So they have no one to blame but themselves.

Besides, there was a news story last night on this very subject. The section may be closed, but the ads live on elsewhere. You can find them if you really want to...

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I've got one question:

Who the fuck cares?

As long as it aint kids being pimped out, who cares who pays who for sex? How is getting a $50 blow job from a hooker any different than going out on a date, spending $100 in the hopes of getting something?

One difference: It's cheaper to get the hooker, and there's no questions about what is going on, and drama.

The real difference-maker would be to legalize prostitution, and then have them unionize.

KJ3N
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
The real difference-maker would be to legalize prostitution, and then have them unionize.

"Look for the union label....." :rofl:

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Unionization in many fields is absurd, however; when applied to fields where the workers are generally exploited (Collections, sex workers, et al) it is very appropriate until such a time that labor laws catch up.

NQ6U
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I think you may have inadvertently hit on the real reason that prostitution is illegal: the Powers That Be are worried about them organizing. No doubt that unions scare them much more than sex workers do.

KC2UGV
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I think you may have inadvertently hit on the real reason that prostitution is illegal: the Powers That Be are worried about them organizing. No doubt that unions scare them much more than sex workers do.

Yep. For some reason, people in power tend to objectify and maltreat the opposite sex. And, truth be told, this is still a "man's world"...

I'll declare, whoever votes to legalize prostitution nationwide will have secured a voting block that will win the election...

N7YA
09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
So....$50 is the going rate for a blowjob these days?? :chin::lol:

W1GUH
09-15-2010, 07:45 AM

----

Really...

Stop judging me!

Even if the judgement is positive? ;)

W1GUH
09-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Especially if a heath certificate is required to get that union label!