PDA

View Full Version : Latinos in the USA, "We do not feel that we belong".

KA5PIU
09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Hello.

I make no bones about it, I do not like the the Republicans.
I feel far more at home in the Latino community than at any "white" functions.
I am afraid of the police, just my hangup.
But when asked, a group of 70+ Latinos said that "We do not feel that we belong".
When I listed off my hangups and issues nearly everyone agreed with me.
For the rest of the evening I spoke nothing but Spanish and by the end was applauded for several minutes.
Finally it hit me, "I" do not belong!
I have grown up afraid of the white kids and have adopted the Latino community, or the other way around, take your pick.
Most want to support America, it is just that it seems like the US is giving preference to every place but the US.
Jobs and aid are being sent out of the country and immigrants are being given preference over people who have been here the entire time.

There were other issues brought to the table but the bottom line is that there was massive support for quite a few common goals.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 12:17 AM
¡Qué lástima!

W4RLR
09-03-2010, 12:39 AM
When I was overseas, I did not belong until I made the effort to at least learn survival level of the local language, explore the places that tourists did not, and actually made the effort to try to live as the natives did.

Many of those who feel that they do not belong also alienate those who have lived here for generations, with demands for services in their language instead of the language of the native populace, cries of taking back territory "wrongfully stolen" from them, and honoring the flag of their native country instead of the one they say they want to "belong to". And they wonder why they get the cold shoulder.

KA5PIU
09-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Hello.

Yes, but there was no Mexican flag, and I started in Spanish, nearly a shock to at least half of them who simply assumed that I speak only English.
The meeting, if you want to call it that, was about the direction America is taking.
This was all a bunch of people who were born in the United States and quite a few of who have ancestors who were here before there was a United States.
Quite a few know little Spanish so it was a surprise to find that I can speak Spanish.
I am the one who carries the Mexican flag at the MLK marches.
I am the one who mounted a Mexican flag on a motor grader in the late 1970s in Houston.
But to be fair, I carried an American flag in the Zocalo square in Mexico City, nobody cared one way or the other.
It is all in how you see it.
I look at the globe and at pictures from space of planet earth.
From space it is pretty much a marble, land and water, that is it.

n2ize
09-03-2010, 04:11 AM
When I was overseas, I did not belong until I made the effort to at least learn survival level of the local language, explore the places that tourists did not, and actually made the effort to try to live as the natives did.

Many of those who feel that they do not belong also alienate those who have lived here for generations, with demands for services in their language instead of the language of the native populace, cries of taking back territory "wrongfully stolen" from them, and honoring the flag of their native country instead of the one they say they want to "belong to". And they wonder why they get the cold shoulder.

That's true... many people will give someone the cold shoulder when that someone forces them to face the truth.

KC2UGV
09-03-2010, 07:39 AM

It appears the local language in many areas of the Mid and Southwest is Spanish...

WX7P
09-03-2010, 08:06 AM
It appears the local language in many areas of the Mid and Southwest is Spanish...

Bullshit.

The percentage of undocumented latinos (that's what you meant) in those areas is not appreciably higher than anywhere else.

I'm getting really tired of the latino bashing that goes on in our society. If the jobs weren't here, they wouldn't come. Why not put more pressure on the business community that hires these people?

Even in racist Modoc County where I used to live, most of the field workers are undocumented, and the big farmers get away with treating the workers like shit. The community hates the field workers, but without the money they put into the local economy, that place would dry up and blow away. The local white people are either rich or on some bullshit disability or on welfare and won't take the field jobs. I trusted the Mexicanos more that the white people up there because I knew they wouldn't rip me off. They are hard working REAL people, much like the white immigrants that came to California during the Dust Bowl era.

KC2UGV
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Bullshit.

The percentage of undocumented latinos (that's what you meant) in those areas is not appreciably higher than anywhere else.

I'm getting really tired of the latino bashing that goes on in our society. If the jobs weren't here, they wouldn't come. Why not put more pressure on the business community that hires these people?

Even in racist Modoc County where I used to live, most of the field workers are undocumented, and the big farmers get away with treating the workers like shit. The community hates the field workers, but without the money they put into the local economy, that place would dry up and blow away. The local white people are either rich or on some bullshit disability or on welfare and won't take the field jobs. I trusted the Mexicanos more that the white people up there because I knew they wouldn't rip me off. They are hard working REAL people, much like the white immigrants that came to California during the Dust Bowl era.

And, what does that have to do with local language and customs of an area? There are parts of Buffalo where the local language is Puerto Rican dialect of spanish, and if you drive down some of the streets, it would remind one of certain areas of San Juan.

And, you'll note, I didn't mention if they were hard working or not. However, given the trouble illegal (and legal) immigrants face to even get into this country, I'll work on the assumption they are; and would make fabulous additions to our American population.

WX7P
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
And, what does that have to do with local language and customs of an area? There are parts of Buffalo where the local language is Puerto Rican dialect of spanish, and if you drive down some of the streets, it would remind one of certain areas of San Juan.

And, you'll note, I didn't mention if they were hard working or not. However, given the trouble illegal (and legal) immigrants face to even get into this country, I'll work on the assumption they are; and would make fabulous additions to our American population.

It was the way you presented your comments. Since when is speaking another language other than English a crime? You made it sound like speaking Spanish is some kind of infraction.

This is the kind of crap the country used to hear in the early part of the last century with the "invasion" of Italian immigrants. They're white, and we don't hear about them now, do we?

KC2UGV
09-03-2010, 09:16 AM
It was the way you presented your comments. Since when is speaking another language other than English a crime? You made it sound like speaking Spanish is some kind of infraction.

This is the kind of crap the country used to hear in the early part of the last century with the "invasion" of Italian immigrants. They're white, and we don't hear about them now, do we?

My only comment was "It appears the local language is spanish in many parts of the mid and southwest." That was in response to "Many of those who feel that they do not belong also alienate those who have lived here for generations, with demands for services in their language instead of the language of the native populace".

If I came across as that being a crime, I'm sorry. Must have been a disconnect somewhere there. I am well aware there is no Official Language in the US.

WX7P
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Okey dokey. This is why the intertubes can sometimes suck. My apologies.

KG4CGC
09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Why not put more pressure on the business community that hires these people?
Shhh. Don't let the Beck Nation know about that. It would make their heads explode and frankly I'm tired of paying more for duct tape because these people use up so much of it.

KA5PIU
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Hello.

A classic example of this crap is HansCo, located at 1255 Austin Hwy, San Antonio, Texas 78209 (210)669-2002
They had a problem with someone stealing the mail and suspected a former employee.
I was asked by a friend of mine to look into this, as I was looking for a construction job anyway.
I was able to track this down and present the evidence to the "Mr. Hans", who referred me to his right hand man.
He said that "We already hired all our Mexicans".
A few months later I met this man again, this time being introduced by his employer.
He wanted me to work for him, after all of that?!
I was also asked by my friend to meet with the contact at HansCo, a San Antonio police officer.
I told him that I was not interested in any more police work.
A year later one of his buddies decided to have some fun at a government facility, the firearms thing.
The common thread to all of them is both the Republican party and the San Antonio Livestock Exposition.
I am a Democrat who uses the nickname Cowthief, not that I have a criminal history, I just do not like these people.
Another time I was told by Bill Cunningham of the San Antonio Express-News newspaper that "You do not look or act like a Mexican, why do you want to be one?".
Curtis Gunn Jr told the Republican leaders of San Antonio that "I will take care of it, we will go hunting and everything will be just great!".
Like I am going to go with that idiot anywhere with him having a weapon?!
I have all of the needed documents to carry a firearm in Mexico, for whatever reason, and do not hunt there.
I have been with some friends to Colorado who went hunting, I hated the very thought.
I see a firearm as the absolute last resort, not as an instrument of sport, yet my target skills are well above average.
And still the Redneck Hick Hillbilly Bastards can not get this concept into their beady little minds, I prefer the Latino community and would prefer that the rednecks stick their guns,,,,.