PDA

View Full Version : I keep losing my connection for 10/15 seconds

kc7jty
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Time Warner cable told me to unplug the modem, then plug back in. No luck.
What is it?

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 12:47 AM
I contacted them again, and they will "refresh" the modem. Have to unplug it again to find out if it worked. If not I have to bypass the router. can't really do that laying on the couch with the laptop.

ad4mg
09-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Are you losing connection to the internet, or just the wireless connection? And, it looks like you have a separate wireless router? If so, it may be overheating. Some of those things are notorious for this!

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not able to find out cause I can't stand/sit at the hardwired desktop for any amount of time. I'm gonna try keeping the desktop turned off (the router is sitting on top of it).
Tnx Luke.

kc7jty
09-04-2010, 01:36 AM
If overheating was the problem will it be ok if I keep it cool or is the damage already done?

It's a Linksys WRT160N

ad4mg
09-04-2010, 05:26 AM
If overheating was the problem will it be ok if I keep it cool or is the damage already done?

It's a Linksys WRT160N
Linksys is pretty good stuff, I doubt any permanent damage has been done. And, the desktop probably isn't putting off any significant heat, but I'd wonder about it emitting RFI that could affect the wireless? May relocating the router a few feet would help.

kc7jty
09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
k tnx again. I had a paper lined plastic case on top of the router to darken the flashing lights (it's in the bedroom) with some luck the taking of it off will fix the bug.

KG4CGC
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
k tnx again. I had a paper lined plastic case on top of the router to darken the flashing lights (it's in the bedroom) with some luck the taking of it off will fix the bug.
What was the result? After going through 2 linksys routers in about 6 months, the D-link I've been using has been spot on with nary a problem, KNOCK ON WOOD. It is stuck on the wall as in the new cable modem. I traded out modems after 4 years. The older one was, well, old. And it did heat up, heat up pretty good before the new modem. Now, both the modem and the router are room temperature. Before, both got warm enough to incubate geologic samples.

Just adding my notes on this topic if heating is a concern. I have not done any experiments on cooling these devices. The easiest thing would be to add a fan.