PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation of Italian Dishes

W1GUH
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I was told by an Italian man from Fort Lee, NJ, that to properly pronounce Italian foods, you should drop the final vowel.

Calamar
Manicot
etc.

A few years later I was talking to some other Italian people who had never heard of that, so I was probably learning "Italian with a New Jersey accent." As it turned out, that's how Tony Soprano, et al, talked. Probably is a Jersey (especiall NE Jersey) thing. I even heard one of them refer to his car as a "Maserat".
Could it be that calling sauce "gravy" also comes from Jersey?

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Italians--especially those who come from Napoli and other places in southern Italy--frequently drop the last vowel from certain words but it's not really "proper" Italian pronunciation. They often substitute G for C and B for P, too, but it's a regional thing, sort of like a Brooklyn accent.

W1GUH
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks! I did notice the "g for c and b for p" from Tony Soprano, also.

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
tagliatelle
con formaggio
e carne
con salsa

kc7jty
09-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Not proper pronunciation, I used to frequent an Italian grocery in Spokane. The woman, who was from the other side, would often frown and moan in pain at my south Philly pronunciation, but always took the time to teach me to say it correctly.
Darn if I don't get into trouble when visiting Philly now, and pronounce the words correctly there.

One of my favs:
Philly slang = Gabagool
Correct pronunciation = Capacola (cah-pa-cola)

another:
PS = Mah-knee-GOAT
CP = Mah-knee-CO-tee

WØTKX
09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSFIdYcClrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_POKdVd5Jns

kc7jty
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Ahma gonna tella you summa thing...
Please a no squeeza the banan.

http://dietrecipesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/calories-in-a-banana.JPG

N2NH
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
PS = Mah-knee-GOAT
CP = Mah-knee-CO-tee

Italian = Ma-na-GORT/GOT.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
The Italian nationals that can speak English sound so cool with all the flare and melody of their first language applied to English.

NQ6U
09-03-2010, 12:06 AM
The Italian nationals that can speak English sound so cool with all the flare and melody of their first language applied to English.

For sure. My grandparents were like that but there's a local ham I sometimes talk to on the repeater. Listening to him speak English is like listening to music.

W1GUH
09-03-2010, 05:55 AM
[re-run]

Once overheard a tourist from Italy describe how to spell Mississippi--

Emma comes first, then I come. Then Essa comes twice then I come again. Then Essa comes twice again, then I come again. The PP, then I come last.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
[re-run]

Once overheard a tourist from Italy describe how to spell Mississippi--

sounds like an orgy

ab1ga
09-03-2010, 07:58 PM

The same usage occurs here in New England, and I've been told there is a culinary difference between "sauce" and "gravy", one having meat in it, the other not. This distinction only seems to be made on the East Coast, however.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Anyone ever hear what sounded to me as Jill n Don? An older Italian I worked with said it once and remarked hey!! it sounds like Jill and Don.

n2ize
09-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Well it must be because it sure as heck wasn't called gravy in the Bronx or Brooklyn. Nor was it called gravy by anyone in my family.

n2ize
09-04-2010, 06:03 AM
The same usage occurs here in New England, and I've been told there is a culinary difference between "sauce" and "gravy", one having meat in it, the other not. This distinction only seems to be made on the East Coast, however.

I dunno. my grandma used to put all sorts of stuff, meatballs, chicken, lamb... but still called it sauce.

ab1ga
09-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I dunno. my grandma used to put all sorts of stuff, meatballs, chicken, lamb... but still called it sauce.

Oddly enough, it's the gravy that isn't supposed to have meat in it! Some colleagues I eat lunch with look at my spaghetti with meat sauce (it's got hamburger in it) with a jaundiced eye, calling it barbaric.They insist on marinara made only from tomatoes, which they call "gravy."

I just call it delicious and tuck in.

kc7jty
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
loose hamburger in tomato sauce is a no no where I was raised in suburban Philadelphia, but the norm here in N Idaho.

KG4CGC
09-05-2010, 03:36 AM
loose hamburger in tomato sauce is a no no where I was raised in suburban Philadelphia, but the norm here in N Idaho.
Put it between two slices of bread and call it a Loose Meat Sammich. Be sure to throw in a lot of innuendo and double entendre.

n2ize
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Oddly enough, it's the gravy that isn't supposed to have meat in it! Some colleagues I eat lunch with look at my spaghetti with meat sauce (it's got hamburger in it) with a jaundiced eye, calling it barbaric.They insist on marinara made only from tomatoes, which they call "gravy."

I just call it delicious and tuck in.

The term "gravy" must be regional. I grew up around Italians and never heard the term and many of them tell me the same. Only thing I can figure is some call it "gravy" and others don't. Interesting.

n2ize
09-05-2010, 11:13 AM

+100000000000000000 Loose crumbled hamburger is what comes in some of the prepackaged meat sauce. Round here is was always made with meatballs (which are basically chopped meat flavoured with cheese, spices, etc. Pieces of lamb and chicken are also ok. And what I also like thrown in is some nice braciole.

NQ6U
09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Loose crumbled hamburger is what comes in some of the prepackaged meat sauce.

And is an abomination in the eyes of the LORD. People who put hamburger in pasta sauce are doomed to an afterlife where the menu consists of nothing but Kraft plastic cheese on white bread.

Round here is was always made with meatballs (which are basically chopped meat flavoured with cheese, spices, etc. Pieces of lamb and chicken are also ok. And what I also like thrown in is some nice braciole.

My grandmother made meatballs that would knock your socks off. And braccioli is da kine, although most non-Italians don't even know what it is.

kc7jty
09-05-2010, 03:10 PM
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/09/17/GL0810_Beef_Stuffed_Cheese_med.jpg
The Italians I worked with in South Philly called it Beef Bra-ziole.

Another was a Bon-ZET. I think it was a stuffed pork roast.

n2ize
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Yeah, it's made with what my Mom calls "Braciole (or braz-iole) Steaks"... basically a tender slice of beef cut thin and pounded down with a meat hammer to tenderize it and make it thin so that it can be rolled and tied to make the braciole. My Mom puts cheese, assorted spices, and even a few raisins inside ties them closed and then they cook along with the sauce for several hours. Most Italian butchers and deli's round here sell them either ready made or just the sliced beef for making them yourself. Thus far I prefer the home made ones.

AA0CX
09-05-2010, 04:04 PM

I've never seen one; never had one, but I want one! It looks awesome\!

n2ize
09-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Once you try one you'll be hooked.

kc7jty
09-05-2010, 07:20 PM

I was raised Catholic in suburban Philadelphia, and was very fortunate to be fully exposed to really good, all home made, Italian cookery. Mom (or often grandma) would spend the entire day making the evening meal.
My brother is married to a Sicilian woman. When they invite anyone over you know she will be busy at least most of the day making all sorts of homemade goodies.