PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here smoke their own meat?

al2n
09-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I am going to upgrade to a better smoker pretty soon. Just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen own a smoker.

Been looking at the Bradley smokers or a Masterbuilt. Both have their positive and negative aspects and was hoping one of my fellow gadget nuts could chime in.

Looking forward to some nice ribs and pulled pork this winter.

K7SGJ
09-02-2010, 01:35 AM
I have what is called the big green egg. I've used it for years. I believe it is made in Japan and it is all porcelain and fired something or other. I use mesquite off the trees out front, or use charcoal. When usuing charcoal I soak hickory, apple, or others for a few hours, wrap it well in heavy tin foil, fork a few hole in the foil and add it in after the coals get going, and before the meat goes on. It starts smoking like crazy about an hour in and lasts quite awhile. I've done just about every kind of poultry, prime rib, steak, veal, and even fish. It all comes out great. Like any cooking platform there is a learning curve, but it's not.. well you know. Always use a charcoal chimney or electric starter to get it going. Never fluid as it will crack the crock. I even do pizza in it on a pizza stone because you can maintain 700-800 degrees f. It holds about 20 lbs of charcoal, and if you don't close all the dampers when your finished. the coals will still be hot 5-6 days later. It is amazing cookery. You can probably find some info on line if your interested. I'm not familiar with the other two you are looking at. Good luck and happy smoking.
eddie

n2ize
09-02-2010, 04:11 AM
I am going to upgrade to a better smoker pretty soon. Just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen own a smoker.

Friend of mine has a son who smokes a lot. I don't know it he smokes home grown or not though.

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 04:43 AM
I've tried smoking using a gas grill as a heat source. I actually placed a small smoker over the grill over one side. Blocked off the other side. Loaded the wood, etc. It was not efficient. Used a lot of gas and didn't give me what i was looking for.

n2ize
09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
My father knew a guy from where he worked who used to smoke his own meats. He recommended using an old refrigerator as a smoker. He would yank out the compressor and all the electrical stuff, yank out the plastic, and use it for smoking meats. Claimed it worked great. I tasted some of the product and it was damned good. Matter of fact since my Mom was on a salt free diet he made us a salt free smoked bacon. It was excellent.

w0aew
09-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I think smoking your own meat is illegal here.

W1GUH
09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I think smoking your own meat is illegal here.

And even where legal, only the most double-jointed can accomplish that feat!

w3bny
09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
And even where legal, only the most double-jointed can accomplish that feat!

Ron Jeremy could smoke his own meat.

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Ron Jeremy could smoke your meat.

W3WN
09-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I think smoking your own meat is illegal here.And even where legal, only the most double-jointed can accomplish that feat!
Wouldn't that hurt?

kf0rt
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Might check out the Brinkmann (http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills.aspx) line too, Mike. Not an expert here, but they seem reasonably priced and the one we have has served us well. In fact, we're on our second one. Replaced the burner once and the water pan once before replacing the whole thing (bottom rusted out after 7-8 years). Not Brinkmann's fault -- we leave it out in the weather 24/7/365.

al2n
09-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a Tall Totem, made by the same folks who produce the Big Chief smokers. 10 racks, can smoke about 55 pounds of fish at once. Had it some 16 years and it has finally started to give out on me. It is great for fish, but I want to smoke pork and brisket and need higher temps in order to do that. For sausage making I will also need pretty tight temp control that my old smoker cannot give.

I am looking at the Bradley due to the self feeding of the wood. I am looking at placing it in the garage with a vent pipe to take the smoke outside. That way I can smoke year round with no worries. The Masterbuilt can do the same thing with a simple and cheap mod, but I am having trouble finding the model I am interested in locally.

WØTKX
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJlBLYGNcs

al2n
09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I have seen some good how to vids and posts on making a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum. Been tempted to make one to use during the summer months. Not sure how well the heat would stay steady in the winter. The drum smokers make some awesome BBQ.