PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal???

n0iu
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
So my wife hands this to me the other day and asks, "Is this a good deal?"

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/renewal.jpg

WA4TM
09-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Personally I don't think it is bargain... Since you can do it for free on the FCC site... YMMV

W5RB
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Absolutely NOT ! Who's it from ? W5YI does a thing like this , but regardless who it is , it LIES . You can do this yourself on the ULS for free . Or , if you're a ARRL member , just call Newington and they'll handle it . In no case is a SSN needed , since every existing licensee already has a FRN , which serves the same purpose . Run away from this offer .

n0iu
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
OK, let me get my tongue out of my cheek! Yes, it was from W5YI. Obviously (or maybe not!) I already know the answer. I don't begrudge Fred Maia from making a living, but I am amazed that people would actually do this.

K7SGJ
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
No way in hell I'd put my SSN on it. There's already enough crooks out there with it, including the IRS.

W5RB
09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
If he continues telling that lie about the FCC requiring a TIN , he may find his outfit's status as a VEC under review .Obviously , he has his own reasons ?? for collecting those .

N8YX
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Run - don't walk - away from that.

W3WN
09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
So my wife hands this to me the other day and asks, "Is this a good deal?"

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/renewal.jpg
Someone sends your wife a form to renew her license. and do all the work for her, for a mere $7 fee.

When you can do it yourself online at the FCC ULS database for free.

Nope. Not a good deal.

But thanks for the "Stray" -- I always need newsletter fillers.

W3WN
09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
OK, let me get my tongue out of my cheek! Yes, it was from W5YI. Obviously (or maybe not!) I already know the answer. I don't begrudge Fred Maia from making a living, but I am amazed that people would actually do this.Fred W5YI no longer owns the W5YI Group. He sold it a few years ago.

And yes, there are people who fall for it everyday. "This way to the egress!"

N2CHX
09-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Social Security Number? Why on earth would they need that? Unless.....

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey, I've been to Wentzville! I picked up 40,000 lbs of pasta there once and took it to Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania.

n0iu
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Do we want to know what you did with 20 tons of macaroni???

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wcQqAuTWa-4/SfT6byxgfoI/AAAAAAAAB6c/P26usfOYCPc/s400/DC+2009+Flaming+Lips+011.JPG

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Do we want to know what you did with 20 tons of macaroni???

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wcQqAuTWa-4/SfT6byxgfoI/AAAAAAAAB6c/P26usfOYCPc/s400/DC+2009+Flaming+Lips+011.JPG

I took it to Pennsylvania and left it there. I assumed that they sold it to someone else but I couldn't say for sure because, being a truck driver, I have a very small brain.

WA4TM
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I took it to Pennsylvania and left it there. I assumed that they sold it to someone else but I couldn't say for sure because, being a truck driver, I have a very small brain.

I hear that's not all that's small!!!:lol:

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
You heard wrong, my friend! I wear a size 13 shoe and XL gloves--and you know the old saying about what big hands and big feet mean.

n0iu
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Wow! I thought the only trucks that came through town were headed to or from --

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/13621462.jpg

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow! I thought the only trucks that came through town were headed to or from

Not this one:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/vovlo.jpg

KA9MOT
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
That sure is an ugly truck.......I'll see if I can find some pictures of my old Pete.

n0iu
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
KJ6BSO, you really need to talk to your disptacher and ask for routes on paved roads!

n0iu
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
That sure is an ugly truck.......I'll see if I can find some pictures of my old Pete.

You know what they say, "Old truck drivers don't die, they just get a new Peterbilt!"

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
>groan<

NQ6U
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM

I've driven Peterbuilts. I liked the Volvo better.

W5RB
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
KJ6BSO, you really need to talk to your disptacher and ask for routes on paved roads!

That's the 40 acres from the song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYaajFkxrE

PA5COR
09-03-2010, 05:36 AM
M.A.N, Hanomag Henschell, Mercedes, Volvo, Magirus Deutz, some brands i drove in through Europe.
But that was 30 years back.

KA9MOT
09-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I've driven Peterbuilts. I liked the Volvo better.
I can't find the pictures of my old Pete.... :( Too many crashed hard drives between then and now....Funny, I always manage to back-up my Ham radio stuff, but never my pictures or my music. The last time I lost a hard drive, I lost almost 70 gigs of music.

I'd drive and old Freightliner Cab-Over before I'd drive a Volvo................Isn't Volvo the High End Soccer Mom's choice of Station Wagon.......LOL :)

KA9MOT
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
You know what they say, "Old truck drivers don't die, they just get a new Peterbilt!"

My wife tells me there is no truth to that old saying....that and that if it were true she'd have a bigger Peterbilt............

NQ6U
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd drive and old Freightliner Cab-Over before I'd drive a Volvo................Isn't Volvo the High End Soccer Mom's choice of Station Wagon.......LOL :)

Have you ever driven one? They're really sweet: unlike a Peterbilt, they ride nice, have all the controls and gauges laid out in a way that actually makes sense and turn like a cab-over. The only thing I didn't like about the one I drove was that it was short on interior storage space but that was only because Knight was too cheap to buy the larger model.

KG4CGC
09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I can't find the pictures of my old Pete.... :( Too many crashed hard drives between then and now....Funny, I always manage to back-up my Ham radio stuff, but never my pictures or my music. The last time I lost a hard drive, I lost almost 70 gigs of music.

Note for future reference. Often it is the OS that crashes. I've saved my files in the past by replacing the main HD and backing up the "crashed" drive after I hooked it back up as a storage unit. Only thing is that you will not be able to get into those old Windows files unless you're some super genius Doogie Howser type, like Corey.

KA5PIU
09-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Hello.

The Volvo tends to ride smoother, and have more creature comforts in all the right places.
Small brain? try a Heavy Equipment Operator, most are people who can not get or keep a CDL.
In fact, at one sitework company they have this notice that If you become incarcerated within 6 months of employment we will hold your check to pay for employment expenses.
Convicted felons, sometimes an issue with the trucking industry, are the norm for HEO's.
Drug related offenses and DWI are the most common.
So, no, most truck drivers are not that dumb, there is an entire industry filled with bigger dummies!

KA9MOT
09-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Note for future reference. Often it is the OS that crashes. I've saved my files in the past by replacing the main HD and backing up the "crashed" drive after I hooked it back up as a storage unit. Only thing is that you will not be able to get into those old Windows files unless you're some super genius Doogie Howser type, like Corey.

Not this time, It was my back-up hard drive and was only about a year old. Fortunately, I had previously copied all of my Radio stuff to a DVD and threw it in a desk drawer.

I sure do miss all of that music though. A buddy of mine in Pennsylvania (where I am originally from (WIlkes-Barre area) converted all of my old LP's (and his) to .mp3 in the late 1990's. A little over 300 LP's from the 1960's to the early 1980's (69.7Gig) GONE!!!!!
I almost cried, you ever see a 400 pound old bastard cry? It aint pretty, I'm telling ya'!

KA9MOT
09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Have you ever driven one? They're really sweet: unlike a Peterbilt, they ride nice, have all the controls and gauges laid out in a way that actually makes sense and turn like a cab-over. The only thing I didn't like about the one I drove was that it was short on interior storage space but that was only because Knight was too cheap to buy the larger model.

Dang! I had a nice truckin' story all typed and now it is GONE!!!

So, short story, In 1989 I drove a brand new one for a week.......That was enough for me. The new ones have a nice interior, and that is where you spend all of your time, but that car like dash sux. A truck should have a truck dashboard..........Plus, the Volvo is UGLY! The only people who like the look are newbies and kids. LOL :)

NQ6U
09-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Dang! I had a nice truckin' story all typed and now it is GONE!!!

So, short story, In 1989 I drove a brand new one for a week.......That was enough for me. The new ones have a nice interior, and that is where you spend all of your time, but that car like dash sux. A truck should have a truck dashboard..........Plus, the Volvo is UGLY! The only people who like the look are newbies and kids. LOL :)

Uh, so you're judging the Volvo based on driving one 20 years ago? Let me tell you this: unlike a Peterbilt, which is pretty much the same truck as it was 40 years ago, the Volvo has improved immensely since the last time you drove one. That dashboard thing is a matter of opinion and as for the looks, well, I didn't drive a truck to look good, I drove a truck to make money, period. Whatever made my job easier and potentially more lucrative was fine with me. I found I could be more productive in the Volvo than I could in a Peterbilt, which is essentially 1960s tech.

KA9MOT
09-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Uh, so you're judging the Volvo based on driving one 20 years ago? Let me tell you this: unlike a Peterbilt, which is pretty much the same truck as it was 40 years ago, the Volvo has improved immensely since the last time you drove one. That dashboard thing is a matter of opinion and as for the looks, well, I didn't drive a truck to look good, I drove a truck to make money, period. Whatever made my job easier and potentially more lucrative was fine with me. I found I could be more productive in the Volvo than I could in a Peterbilt, which is essentially 1960s tech.

Dang dude! You sound angry.

The part where you say you drove truck to make money is funny. It has been a very long time, since anybody ever made money driving truck. Some manage to make a little more then others, but NOBODY makes any money. Some Union drivers maybe.

And so ya' know...26 years, 3,000,000 accident free miles. I don't know why guys who drive ugly trucks are so damn touchy.

The difference between the 2 trucks is styling......not Tech. Styling and Profiling, when was the last time you could say that in your Volvo? LOL :) Aerodynamics aside, what matters on a big truck is under the bodywork.

The money is the same, for you as a company driver and me when I was a company driver, you got paid by the job, whether mile, percentage or flat rate. It doesn't matter to your paycheck what you drive. How long were/are you a trucker? You don't have a very good grasp on the industry.

N8YX
09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
As penance for (whatever transgressions we can invent), I hereby sentence BOTH of you to OTR duties in B-model Macks... :whistle:

KA9MOT
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
As penance for (whatever transgressions we can invent), I hereby sentence BOTH of you to OTR duties in B-model Macks... :whistle:

I'd rather be spanked! LOL! :)

NQ6U
09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd rather be spanked! LOL! :)

I Agree With You Completely.

n0iu
09-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Jeez! All I wanted to know is if my wife should send W5YI $7.00 to renew her license and this is where we end up???

Welcome to the Island!

NQ6U
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Jeez! All I wanted to know is if my wife should send W5YI $7.00 to renew her license and this is where we end up???

Welcome to the Island!

Would you want to come here if it was any other way?

n0iu
09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Would you want to come here if it was any other way?
Hell no! My question (which was of course rhetorical in the first place) was answered on Page 1!

And I have never driven a Volvo, whether it be a passenger vehicle or OTR tractor!

KG4CGC
09-05-2010, 02:24 PM
With dual differential manual gear boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3cFz9wzGPw

NQ6U
09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Man, I'm glad I never had to drive one of those SOBs. Give me a nice Eaton 13-speed any day.

ad4mg
09-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Actually, it's pretty simple. You run an administrator account on your machine, and assume ownership of the folders. There are instructions on Microsoft's site for doing this. You may have to make a change in the file sharing, and it will not work on XP Home Edition, or XP Media Center. It must be XP Pro.

Or, pop in a live CD of your Linux flavor of choice, mount the drive, and copy away. All of this assumes the files and folders were not encrypted, which almost nobody ever does.

WA4TM
09-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Damned if he ain't busier than a cat covering sh*t on a marble floor!!!!:lol:

KG4CGC
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Damned if he ain't busier than a cat covering sh*t on a marble floor!!!!:lol:
Again, ILOLIRL!

n0iu
09-10-2010, 09:09 AM

The video resolution is a bit fuzzy... what kind of CB is that???

N8YX
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
The video resolution is a bit fuzzy... what kind of CB is that???
That's no CB...that's an export radio! :shock: