PDA

View Full Version : The skinny on Patron tequila

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I learned this from a bartender at a tequila bar last week. Can't find anything on the web about it -- I'll keep looking.

But here's what Patron is in a nutshell. It's marketed by Paul Mitchell, the hair guy. He bought a small, boutique distillery that made good tequila, and marketed that. Then, thanks to his marketing prowess, demand exceeded the capacity of that distillery so Mr. Mitchell bought or made other, poorer quality distilleries. And that's the tequila we drink today. Please add details if you can.

This fits exactly with my tequila experience. When I'd do Patron shots (what else do you usually do? That tequila is sooooo trendy!), my impression was that it tastes like throw-up. Literally. It always went down with the impression of "this is gonna take some effort to get down and keep down."

About a week ago I had a shot of Herradura. What a DIFFERENCE! THAT tequila is smooth and rich and oh, sooooo good. And it was presented uniquely. The bar had it frozen into a cake of ice.

So....try Herradura. I think you'll like it a LOT better than Patron!

Cheers! :cheers:

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm taking it off the bar immediately!

NQ6U
08-31-2010, 07:34 PM
So....try Herradura. I think you'll like it a LOT better than Patron!

Been drinking Herradura for 30 years now, starting back when it was still being imported by Bing Crosby and Phil Harris. Good stuff. Which version are you drinking? the Aņejo used to be my favorite but now I find the Silver more to my taste. It's cheaper, too.

w3bny
08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Tequilla Patron...Urino de burro! Toma eso perras!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/mezcal-gusano-rojo-70cl.jpg

kc7jty
08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
silver tequila has no flavor. I've tasted very high end Aņejo gold tequilas in Algodones, BC at their promotion parties. If I had the buck$ I'd pursue them for they are quite good.

KA5PIU
09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Hello.

Silver, or clear, Tequila, un aged, is what I prefer, it is cheap.
I also prefer good quality cheap Vadka.
That chocolate with cheap rum inside? very happy camper.

suddenseer
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't know much about tequila brands. The market is flooded. I only know when drinking shots the 100% aquave, and 2 years aging in a barrel tastes better to me. When mixed with strong flavors I cannot tell. The cheaper brands are not 100% aquave, and who knows how many hours of aging.

KG4CGC
09-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't really care for the taste of Mezcal but the buzz is nice.

w3bny
09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
And trust me Gusano Rojo is rough...and gets the jhay-oh-bee done!

NQ6U
09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
And trust me Gusano Rojo is rough...and gets the jhay-oh-bee done!

Do you eat the worm?

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Do you eat the worm?
Don't they use chorizo in that brand?

w3bny
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Do you eat the worm?

Of course! By the time you get to the bottom of the bottle it dont matter anyhow. Oh and dont eat that spice crap that comes with it. <sudder> Quetzalcoatl still shows up every now and then!

Don't they use chorizo in that brand?

Dont know about that...but I can truly tell you that this stuff will knock your chorizo in the dirt!