PDA

View Full Version : The "Little Ice Age"

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I keep seeing programs on the History Channel about this "little ice age" that happened, generally, around the 17th century. Don't really know many details about it except that it caused disruptions and upheaval in Europe and, presumably, North America.

The burning question about this is, "Why am I only learning about this now?" I never heard of it before the last 2 or 3 years. WTF?

KA5PIU
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello.

The "Little Ice Age" may be part of a natural cycle of events.
We also know that the sun had a lot more events at that time.
MeThinks that there is a connection, that the ozone layer and all that are part of a cycle that the solar system does over a long period of time.
If I am right, the sun will spew forth and the ozone layers will get real thick, drawing in matter from space.
The enlarged ozone layer will also insulate earth from some of the sun, lowering the overall temp on earth.
The only thing that has changed is that new we have a bunch of satellites that may get knocked down by this action.
But this is only a theory with little but history to back it up.

N7YA
08-31-2010, 06:08 PM
We didnt hear about it because Fox didnt issue an all-important Orange Alert for it.

n2ize
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
I keep seeing programs on the History Channel about this "little ice age" that happened, generally, around the 17th century. Don't really know many details about it except that it caused disruptions and upheaval in Europe and, presumably, North America.

The burning question about this is, "Why am I only learning about this now?" I never heard of it before the last 2 or 3 years. WTF?

Because you probably never read about it. It's been a part of meteorological and climate science for many many years.

al2n
08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I read about it in school. Was not part of the normal classes, I did a report on it. Got an A+ on that one if I remember correctly. Had a report due in science and history class, so I did one report that covered both. :)

I find it interesting to read about the weather before the eruption. Seems we still have not fully recovered from "the year without a summer".

suddenseer
08-31-2010, 08:08 PM

The burning question about this is, "Why am I only learning about this now?" I never heard of it before the last 2 or 3 years. WTF?The History Channel is one of my favs. However, they have aired programs about 2012, predictions in the bible, Nostradamus predictions, etc. Not much history there. They did air a very good 2 hour production about Thomas Jefferson. I will forgive them on the other stuff.

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
I read about it in school. Was not part of the normal classes, I did a report on it. Got an A+ on that one if I remember correctly. Had a report due in science and history class, so I did one report that covered both. :)

I find it interesting to read about the weather before the eruption. Seems we still have not fully recovered from "the year without a summer".

"Seems we still have not fully recovered from "the year without a summer"

After I posted the question I realized that that quote answers it. Thanks! And thanks to all who have been aware of this before I was.

Does this have important implications or what? Gives me goose bumps!!!!

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 11:35 PM
The History Channel is one of my favs. However, they have aired programs about 2012, predictions in the bible, Nostradamus predictions, etc. Not much history there. They did air a very good 2 hour production about Thomas Jefferson. I will forgive them on the other stuff.

"Not much history there" is a matter of opinion. Yes, the premise of some of those shows is of questionable "history" value...BUT...it IS literature from people whose writing has been significant to some people -- and is valuable as a factor in "completeness". There are also shows that report shit that nobody else is publicizing. May be of "questionable scientific value" but it IS a deep part of current culture, and is ALWAYS presented as such in a balanced way.

And, yes, some of the implications of what has been said, and I've noticed a noticeable shift towards cutting edge stuff in the last couple of years, is very disturbing. But then, aren't these days disturbing? This is in the category of, whether or not the stuff is valid, whether or not there's "science" behind it, it IS stuff that's current and useful to be aware of. Just a sign of the times, IMHO.

KC2UGV
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
The History Channel is one of my favs. However, they have aired programs about 2012, predictions in the bible, Nostradamus predictions, etc. Not much history there. They did air a very good 2 hour production about Thomas Jefferson. I will forgive them on the other stuff.

That's all history :) On 2012, and a study of the Mayan Calendar, the writing of Nostradamus are texts that have survived the test of time, etc.

suddenseer
09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
"Not much history there" is a matter of opinion. Yes, the premise of some of those shows is of questionable "history" value...BUT...it IS literature from people whose writing has been significant to some people -- and is valuable as a factor in "completeness". There are also shows that report shit that nobody else is publicizing. May be of "questionable scientific value" but it IS a deep part of current culture, and is ALWAYS presented as such in a balanced way.

And, yes, some of the implications of what has been said, and I've noticed a noticeable shift towards cutting edge stuff in the last couple of years, is very disturbing. But then, aren't these days disturbing? This is in the category of, whether or not the stuff is valid, whether or not there's "science" behind it, it IS stuff that's current and useful to be aware of. Just a sign of the times, IMHO.The history of past people speculating on the future is a stretch at best. 2012 has not happened yet, so we cannot call it history yet. I do not like some of their programming, but I won't go to their office armed.

al2n
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Pawn Stars is a fav of mine.

Consider it the antiques roadshow with realistic prices.

n2ize
09-02-2010, 08:21 PM
The history of past people speculating on the future is a stretch at best. 2012 has not happened yet, so we cannot call it history yet. I do not like some of their programming, but I won't go to their office armed.

A friend of mine was terrified of the 2012 prophecy. Until I explained it to him in a numerical way..

N2NH
09-02-2010, 11:48 PM
That's all history :) On 2012, and a study of the Mayan Calendar, the writing of Nostradamus are texts that have survived the test of time, etc.

There's also the "history" of the Great Pyramid code where they believe the internal path symbolically signifies humanities path. I find that much of this stuff doesn't stand the test of time. Cayce is interesting but many believe the attempts that have been made to discredit him. OTOH, IF interpreted with a clear eye, Revelations is pretty accurate. Unnervingly so.

kc7jty
09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
the rants of a madman are often open to many interpretations.

KC2UGV
09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
There's also the "history" of the Great Pyramid code where they believe the internal path symbolically signifies humanities path. I find that much of this stuff doesn't stand the test of time. Cayce is interesting but many believe the attempts that have been made to discredit him. OTOH, IF interpreted with a clear eye, Revelations is pretty accurate. Unnervingly so.

If you make something open-ended enough, of course it is :)

"There's is someone out there, who has been through a rough spot in life. A loss of someone close, maybe."