PDA

View Full Version : It's official -- alcohol is very good for you!!!

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Well, a lot of us already knew that....here's some evidence.

One link of many turned up by searching "drinkers live longer" (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2014332,00.html)

Barternder! A round for all in the house -- for me, pour in in directly!!

:-D:-D

KA5PIU
08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Hello.

http://www.bevshots.com/
It is also a proven fact that people who consume limited amounts of alcohol live quite a bit longer.
But most of the medical community do not want to endorse this, as it can easily lead to hard core alcohol problems.
A shot of whiskey or a glass of wine sure beats a day of whine, with or without cheese. ;)

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
:agree::cheers:

n2ize
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Assuming this study is valid (see below) I would think that in the case of heavy drinkers versus abstainers I think it's more a matter of what you end up dying from and how long it takes to kill you. Perhaps those who abstain tend to be more prone to stress related ailments and that comes on quicker and tend to kill faster than diseases associated with heavy alcohol consumption i.e. liver cirrhosis, kidney disease, etc.

Note, the study also claims that those who tend to be moderate in their alcohol consumption tend to live longer.

BUT Before I believe the results of this (or any other study) I would need to see details regarding exactly how the data sets were obtained, how they were compared, and how the final expectations were computed. I have seen all too many studies (done by experts) which were wrong because the researchers made a certain assumption(s) that were not mathematically valid. I have seen this happen not once but MANY times, in studies done by persons who should have known better. I suspect the samme may be afoot here.

So, until I see the details I remain skeptical of this study, as I would be of any study.

NQ6U
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
BUT Before I believe the results of this (or any other study) I would need to see details regarding exactly how the data sets were obtained, how they were compared, and how the final expectations were computed. I have seen all too many studies (done by experts) which were wrong because the researchers made a certain assumption(s) that were not mathematically valid. I have seen this happen not once but MANY times, in studies done by persons who should have known better. I suspect the samme may be afoot here.

So, until I see the details I remain skeptical of this study, as I would be of any study.

Exactly, John. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
A good reason to have a do it yourself open bar day.
Now don't bitch at me if your drinks are too strong.
Always happens on DIYOBD! :rofl:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/stockedbar.jpg

n2ize
08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Exactly, John. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

True, but unfortunately I don't have a subscription to the journal in which the study appears. And I don't feel like shelling out $1000.00 bucks just for this article. So, I guess I'll have to remain a contented skeptic... LOL:-D

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
And I'll stay a contented drinker. Unfortunately, by the definition "2 or 3 drinks a day is moderate" I have to be contented with "moderate."

n2ize
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually I don't trust people who don't drink, use drugs, or use tobacco. People who have no vices are not right in the head. Usually they are self righteous, high strung types, and usually very boring to be around. people who regularly get drunk, high, stoned, or trip are much more interesting people to hang out with. They tend to be more honest, more down to earth, less stuck up, and all around better company. They also tend to be more creative and intellectual. Give me a drinker, a drugger, or a stoner any day.

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Actually I don't trust people who don't drink, use drugs, or use tobacco. People who have no vices are not right in the head. Usually they are self righteous, high strung types, and usually very boring to be around. people who regularly get drunk, high, stoned, or trip are much more interesting people to hang out with. They tend to be more honest, more down to earth, less stuck up, and all around better company. They also tend to be more creative and intellectual. Give me a drinker, a drugger, or a stoner any day.

Amen, brother.

kc7jty
08-31-2010, 03:08 PM

do prescription pain killers count?

w3bny
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
So I can trust Rush then?

n2ize
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
do prescription pain killers count?

Sure, why not.

n2ize
08-31-2010, 03:24 PM
So I can trust Rush then?

No, Rush is an exception to the rule.

w3bny
08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Juuust checkin.

kc7jty
08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
No, Rush is an exception to the rule.

HAAH!

suddenseer
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
What he said!!!

KA5PIU
08-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello.

I usually do not drink, but when I do,,,,,,,. ;)

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
... "I only drink, Dos Equis."

kf0rt
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM

+ a Brazilian