PDA

View Full Version : Paging Mr. Popeil

W3WN
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I've been passing along some of my tomato output from the garden to a co-worker (who happens to be married to KB3RVI, but that's another story). So the other day, she tells me that she wants to give me something in thanks for all of the fruit (you did know tomatoes are actually a fruit, didn't you?)

So Saturday afternoon, she shows up at my house with a Popeil Rotisserie, since she knows I like to cook, and she doesn't have room for it.

I'm just not entirely sure what to do with it, cooking wise. Any suggestions? (As in what to make in it, wise guys)

NQ6U
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Does it slice, dice, make hundreds of julienne fries and mounds of cole slaw?

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
No, But it does do roasts, chicken, leg of lamb.......

W1GUH
08-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I've been passing along some of my tomato output from the garden to a co-worker (who happens to be married to KB3RVI, but that's another story). So the other day, she tells me that she wants to give me something in thanks for all of the fruit (you did know tomatoes are actually a fruit, didn't you?)

So Saturday afternoon, she shows up at my house with a Popeil Rotisserie, since she knows I like to cook, and she doesn't have room for it.

I'm just not entirely sure what to do with it, cooking wise. Any suggestions? (As in what to make in it, wise guys)

"I'm just not entirely sure what to do with it, cooking wise."

"SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!!!"

Or, you could use it to cook what you catch with this (https://www.ronco.com/PocketFisherman/Default.aspx). "Buy one, get one free!"

Guys, you all better treat me nice because I met Mr. Popiel IN PERSON!!! Yep, he was hawking his pasta maker in the Lecther's (remember them? They had [mostly] good stuff. No wonder they went out of business! The even sold Whip-its!) down the street from me. Gawd!!!! What a slick huckster that man is! Took a few days to get over the trauma of being that close to him.

Enjoy your rotisserie! Set it and Forget it!

"...and she doesn't have room for it."

Or maybe would be embarassed to be seen using it?

W3WN
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
* sigh *

It's not a Vegematic.

W3WN
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Or, you could use it to cook what you catch with this (https://www.ronco.com/PocketFisherman/Default.aspx). "Buy one, get one free!"

Guys, you all better treat me nice because I met Mr. Popiel IN PERSON!!! Yep, he was hawking his pasta maker in the Lecther's (remember them? They had [mostly] good stuff. No wonder they went out of business! The even sold Whip-its!) down the street from me. Gawd!!!! What a slick huckster that man is! Took a few days to get over the trauma of being that close to him.

Enjoy your rotisserie! Set it and Forget it!

"...and she doesn't have room for it."

Or maybe would be embarassed to be seen using it?
No, she doesn't have room for it. I've been to her house, it's small. And John's MS has flared up again, he gets around mainly on an electric scooter at the moment... she really doesn't have room in her kitchen for it.

I see I wasn't explicit enough, not that any of you guys would ever pass up a straight line, and you didn't.

I was seeking suggestions as to recipes to try out in the thing. I know there's always someone around here who has one or two... but wait! there's more! not available in any store!

W1GUH
08-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Didn't I hear Mr. Popiel say that it comes with a recipe book?

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
No, she doesn't have room for it. I've been to her house, it's small. And John's MS has flared up again, he gets around mainly on an electric scooter at the moment... she really doesn't have room in her kitchen for it.

I see I wasn't explicit enough, not that any of you guys would ever pass up a straight line, and you didn't.

I was seeking suggestions as to recipes to try out in the thing. I know there's always someone around here who has one or two... but wait! there's more! not available in any store!

Notice, I mentioned that you could do chicken, roasts, leg of lamb etc as possibilities BUT no where do I see mention what TYPE of recipe you are looking for..............what are YOU in a mood for, something as simple as some lemon pepper chicken breasts fixed in the basket to lime glazed leg of lamb?

W3WN
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Didn't I hear Mr. Popiel say that it comes with a recipe book?I haven't looked through the documentation yet, so I don't know.

I take it you don't have any recipe suggestions then?

W3WN
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Notice, I mentioned that you could do chicken, roasts, leg of lamb etc as possibilities BUT no where do I see mention what TYPE of recipe you are looking for..............
Ah, not that I want to get into circular reasoning here, but...

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
If he has the recipe book it would be a small red paperback sized book. I like the memphis rub recipe for my beer butt chicken. just don't know where it disappeared to though.

BTW since wifoid 1.0 is disabled I'm into collecting crock pot recipe books ...

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
If you like rotisserie chicken your in like flint.

8-12 pound turkey? Pork Roasts, salt it up cram it on the "Forks" and go for it.

Leg of lamb with mint jelly added during the last minutes of cooking for glaze.

(use a small ceramic bowl & pot holders to lift the assembly out of the rotisserie)

Salmon fillets with lemon slice & onion, chicken breasts, or some hot dogs in the basket?

I don't recommend doing hamburgers in the basket even if they do show it being done in the commercials!

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
not looking to get into a circle jerk on recipes myself just more specifics as to meat preferences.

I'm sure your not wanting to fix a dozen different recipes on the same day so whats your yen? what would you want to fix for your first try at the rotisserie? beef pork poultry fish......

for instance i doubt if you would want a pork recipe if you would rather have beef.....
Just about any recipe you can do outside on a BBQ rotisserie (size considerations) you can do in that thing.
you can always add a little liquid smoke....Do you have the rib rack accessory?

KG4CGC
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
This is a good day for chicken, yes? Go to your favorite butcher, buy one of the birds his cousin's daughter raised by hand, season, skewer, set it and forget it.
Just remember,Ron. R. Popeil is the same guy that was "hocking" that damned bald man's hair spray cover up crap.

W1GUH
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Whatever recipe you use, make sure it calls for the flavor injector!

KG4CGC
08-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Whatever recipe you use, make sure it calls for the flavor injector!
Sea water marinade?

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't forget to buy a pocket fisherman to catch something to put in the rotisserie, that way the picture is complete!! :)

W3WN
08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
This is a good day for chicken, yes? Go to your favorite butcher, buy one of the birds his cousin's daughter raised by hand, season, skewer, set it and forget it.
Just remember,Ron. R. Popeil is the same guy that was "hocking" that damned bald man's hair spray cover up crap.
I was wondering when that hair paint spray was going to come up.

I'm probably going to go for something chicken first. Then look into beef and lamb dishes. No interest in, ah, the other white meat... if I can't eat it, I'm certainly not going to buy it! :lol:

kd8dey
08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Perhaps a whole chicken using that Italian dressing marinade thingy I've heard about?? The flavor injector is now your new buddy :)

WØTKX
08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
It's good for anything that will basically spin in it. It's just a timed rotisserie that has a temperature control... so any spinnin' stick recipe, unless serious flame searing is desired.

Fer crying out loud, look at this URL. http://www.ronco.com/rco_manuals1.aspx :roll:

Stay thirsty and centered, ya turkey. :-P

Roast Turkey
One 6 to 10 Pound Turkey Fresh or Completely Thawed
1 Tablespoon Salt and 1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning if Desired

Thoroughly wash with warm water. Cut away all extra fat and skin so hot air can get into the cavity. Rub Salt and Poultry Seasoning into the cavity. Tie with string in 4 places. Place centered on spit rods and cook for 10 minutes per pound. Enjoy the best turkey you can imagine. Be sure nothing hangs over or extends beyond the Gear Wheels. Always center turkeys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beef Tenderloin Roast with Horseradish Sauce
One 3-Pound Beef Tenderloin Roast
Salt and Pepper To Rub On Roast
Horseradish Sauce: ¾ Cup Whipping Cream
4 Tablespoons Prepared Horseradish
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
½ Teaspoon Salt

Thoroughly coat the beef with salt and pepper. Place the beef tenderloin on Spit Rods. Rotate for 30 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 140ºF for rate on the mat thermometer. Remove roast and slice into ½ inch thick slices and serve with Horseradish Sauce. Serves 6.

Marinated Top Sirloin Steak

One 1¾ to 2 Pound Sirloin Steak
½ Cup Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper to Taste

In a flat baking dish stir together the ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours. Remove the steak from the marinade. Place the steak in the Flat Standard Basket. Tighten lid and cook for 18 minutes for rare or 25 minutes for medium. If not brown enough, position the basket facing the Heating Element and turn the switch to “Pause-to-Sear” for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and slice thinly across the grain. Serves 4.

Merlot Marinated Leg of Lamb
One Leg of Lamb (4½ to 5 Pounds) Boned and Tied
1 Cup Merlot or Other Dry Red Wine
4 Cloves Garlic; Minced
2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
1 Tablespoon Coarsely Ground Pepper

Combine soy sauce, merlot, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and pepper in a deep bowl. Add lamb and turn to coat with marinade. Cove and chill at least 6 hours or up to a day, turning meat over several times. Remove lamb from marinade, reserving to a day, turning meat over several times. Remove lamb from marinade, reserving marinade for basting.

Place the lamb on the Spit Rods. Cook for 1 hour, 15-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF for medium, basting several times during the last 10 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.

Ginger Teriyaki Chicken
One 3½ to 4 Pound Whole Chicken
½ Cup Soy Sauce
½ Cup Dry White Wine
¼ Cup Sake or Dry Sherry
¼ Cup Sugar
2 Slices Fresh Ginger Root
2 Tablespoons Water
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch

Ginger Teriyaki Sauce: Combine soy sauce, wine, sake or sherry, sugar and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat 3 minutes. Blend water with cornstarch; stir into sauce. Stir over medium heat 1 minute or until thickened. Strain sauce. Makes about 1 cup. Set aside to cool or refrigerate up to 1 week.

Next, wash and dry chicken, inside and out. Loosen the skin across the breast and then down around the leg and thigh using a chop stick or your fingers. Reserve ½ cup of the cooled teriyaki sauce and inject some of the remaining sauce under the skin of the chicken. Work it over the breast, legs and thighs. Rub more sauce all over the outside of the chicken and then marinate for 30 minutes.

Place chicken on the Spit Rods for 55 to 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180ºF on meat thermometer inserted in the thigh. Remove chicken and cut into pieces to serve. Serve with the remaining teriyaki sauce. (You could substitute a prepared Teriyaki Marinade for the Ginger Teriyaki Sauce in this recipe. If you are fixing two small chickens at once, skewer them side by side on the Spit Rods and increase the time to 1½ hours). Serves 2 to 3.

kc7jty
08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
A baked chicken is simple to make and quite good. Paint (a 2" natural horsehair brush works best) the whole chicken inside and out with plenty of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
When you want a change of flavor instead of pepper use a good chili powder. http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1091/chilipowder.png

That's it.
The main thing is not to overcook the meat.

al2n
08-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Here is a rub I use on chicken. Got it off of Food Networks site a couple years ago. Still my favorite rub for birds.

# 2 tablespoons non-iodized salt
# 1 tablespoon garlic powder
# 1 tablespoon onion powder
# 1 teaspoon ground thyme
# 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
# 1 teaspoon paprika
# 1 teaspoon black pepper

Rub on your bird and cook till internal temp is 180 degrees. Brush on the BBQ sauce of your choice and enjoy!

Here is a sauce I found for chicken that I like. My wife however, is not a fan of the vinegar based sauces.

* 2 cups apple cider vinegar
* 4 ounces tomato paste
* 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
* 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
* 3/4 tablespoon steak sauce
* 3/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

Mix together and simmer for 10 minutes. Brush on your bird or use as a dipping sauce.

ki4itv
08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
A baked chicken is simple to make and quite good. Paint (a 2" natural horsehair brush works best) the whole chicken inside and out with plenty of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
When you want a change of flavor instead of pepper use a good chili powder. http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1091/chilipowder.png

That's it.
The main thing is not to overcook the meat.

Our main version of this involves taking a fork and perforating 3 lemons rather conservatively, only to shove them up said chickens butt.
As you said, Salt and Pepper only.
Bake to just shy of temp and rest.
The broth is awesome, chicken is too.
Rice is the answer. Gotta' have a vehicle for that broth.

W3MIV
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I take it you don't have any recipe suggestions then?

Take one chicken sized to fit the interior of this machine. Stick the rod up its ass and pull it out the neck (pretend it's Frozen Steve). Rub it with one of the many boutique rubs that glut the market -- Shag's has some good ones -- and turn the thing on.

When the chicken looks brown and wrinkly, it is time to test the internal temperature of one of the thighs. Best to be about 170°F in the thickest part of the thigh. You might also check the breast -- deep. I don't trust most of those pop-up thingamabobs, so double check.

The fun is in the learning. If you screw up and get milk in with the chicken, just bury the thing for a few days. ;)

kc7jty
08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Our main version of this involves taking a fork and perforating 3 lemons rather conservatively, only to shove them up said chickens butt.
As you said, Salt and Pepper only.
Bake to just shy of temp and rest.
The broth is awesome, chicken is too.
Rice is the answer. Gotta' have a vehicle for that broth.

Oh boy!! Arroz con Pollo! (I like the short grain brown rice best)
as Sarah Palin would say:
Ah yeah sure, you betcha

kc7jty
08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Rub it with one of the many boutique rubs that glut the market -- Shag's has some good ones --
The problem with some of that is they add sweetener, dextrose, garlic/onion powder, etc.
I'm tellin ya, just lemon juice, salt, & pepper. You can taste the chicken, and it's very good.

kc7jty
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
and what goes best with a rotisserie chicken?

http://www.homeboozekit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/picture-of-burgundy-pinot-noir-wine.jpg

Pinot Noir

W3MIV
08-30-2010, 08:07 PM
The problem with some of that is they add sweetener, dextrose, garlic/onion powder, etc.
I'm tellin ya, just lemon juice, salt, & pepper. You can taste the chicken, and it's very good.

Don't disagree at all, Bill. I don't own one of those gadgets; when I want a rotoed chicken, I use an old Farberware electric job, and I use nothing but some salt and fresh black pepper on the skin outside, and I brush the inside (never stuffed) with freshly made up lemon-butter, and the salt and BP.

kc7jty
08-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't disagree at all, Bill. I don't own one of those gadgets; when I want a rotoed chicken, I use an old Farberware electric job, and I use nothing but some salt and fresh black pepper on the skin outside, and I brush the inside (never stuffed) with freshly made up lemon-butter, and the salt and BP.

Don't you dare be sayin...iced tea

W3MIV
08-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Don't you dare be sayin...iced tea

Shhhhh.

Fresh brewed, Bill, and unsweetened. With fresh lemon and fresh mint, crushed.

:yes:

ki4itv
08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I know Tea Pron when I see it.

KG4CGC
08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I know Tea Pron when I see it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Sativa%20Shatchi%20Billy%20Bidet%203-22-08/Shhhh.jpg

W1GUH
08-31-2010, 07:32 AM
Take one chicken sized to fit the interior of this machine. Stick the rod up its ass and pull it out the neck (pretend it's Frozen Steve). Rub it with one of the many boutique rubs that glut the market -- Shag's has some good ones -- and turn the thing on.

When the chicken looks brown and wrinkly, it is time to test the internal temperature of one of the thighs. Best to be about 170°F in the thickest part of the thigh. You might also check the breast -- deep. I don't trust most of those pop-up thingamabobs, so double check.

The fun is in the learning. If you screw up and get milk in with the chicken, just bury the thing for a few days. ;)

Priceless!!! :rofl:

W3WN
08-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Milk?

NQ6U
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
If you screw up and get milk in with the chicken, just bury the thing for a few days. ;)

What if you find a trout in the milk?

W3WN
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Didn't I hear Mr. Popiel say that it comes with a recipe book?Forgot to mention, I did check the bags of stuff that came with the device last night.

I don't have a recipe book.

I have two.

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Milk?
Chickens will lactate in a broiler/rotisserie if the glands have not been removed. Usually not a problem but it has been known to happen.

kf0rt
08-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Chickens will lactate in a broiler/rotisserie if the glands have not been removed. Usually not a problem but it has been known to happen.

Say wha...??

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Say wha...??
Normally the milk glands are removed with the neck bone. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Orthodox-Judaism-952/Kosher-2.htm

kf0rt
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Normally the milk glands are removed with the neck bone. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Orthodox-Judaism-952/Kosher-2.htm

Quail is not fowl?

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
You know, I am totally confused and I just realized that I was thinking about pigeon. Brain fart.

K7SGJ
08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Forgot to mention, I did check the bags of stuff that came with the device last night.

I don't have a recipe book.

I have two.

In that case be sure to cut the ingrediants in half.

KA5PIU
08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Hello.

New Ronco ad-o-matic, it really does everything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHE-X8a3bA&feature=related

kf0rt
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
You know, I am totally confused and I just realized that I was thinking about pigeon. Brain fart.

Nah... I was just interested in the link you posted. Said something in there about chicken being verbotin, but quail was given by God as a substitute. Couldn't quite follow the logic trail on that, but in the end, I find that I might agree. :)

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Total LOLOL!

W3WN
09-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Makes me glad I'm not Orthodox. And that explains why my sister (who converted to Orthodox) is so mucked up.

n2ize
09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Guys, you all better treat me nice because I met Mr. Popiel IN PERSON!!! Yep, he was hawking his pasta maker in the Lecther's (remember them? They had [mostly] good stuff. No wonder they went out of business! The even sold Whip-its!) down the street from me.

Whip it's reminds me of the good ol days of the head shop. The head shop was a symbol of an era. Sad that they are all but gone... thanks to ronnie, rudy, and others like them.

kf0rt
09-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Whip it's reminds me of the good ol days of the head shop. The head shop was a symbol of an era. Sad that they are all but gone... thanks to ronnie, rudy, and others like them.

Head shops? (http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=denver+head+shops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

W3WN
09-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Something here doesn't make sense. Chickens hatch from eggs and they don't breast feed, so why would they lactate?

W1GUH
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Don't forget mike, son of rudy.

KG4CGC
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Something here doesn't make sense. Chickens hatch from eggs and they don't breast feed, so why would they lactate?
My mistake. Chickens don't but pigeons do.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Didn't you ever see a nice young bird's tits?

KG4CGC
09-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Didn't you ever see a nice young bird's tits?
Or its crinkly bits?

W1GUH
09-03-2010, 05:50 AM
EGAD!!! The things one learns on the island!:rofl: