PDA

View Full Version : I can't watch videos any more

kc7jty
08-28-2010, 01:36 PM
with out them pausing every 15 seconds. What would cause this? Is my memory all used up? How can I do a memory test on windows 7 on an HP laptop?

Been a problem for many weeks now.
tnx jty

KG4CGC
08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
with out them pausing every 15 seconds. What would cause this? Is my memory all used up? How can I do a memory test on windows 7 on an HP laptop?

Been a problem for many weeks now.
tnx jty
I would be suspicious of your ISP if you are sure the problem is not with your machine.

NQ6U
08-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I would be suspicious of your ISP if you are sure the problem is not with your machine.

I second that--they may be throttling your throughput. Are you on Comcast, by any chance?

kc7jty
08-28-2010, 02:03 PM
I ran a memory check and passed. Since it hit both my machines at the same time I'm attributing it to my chicken shit road runner light service from Time Warner Cable.
I've been having connection lost problems with them too. Time to call 'em and pitch a bitch.

KG4CGC
08-28-2010, 02:13 PM
My ISP claimed I was guilty of suspicious downloading. OK, whatever that means. Our connection was throttled back and I complained. In 2007 there were a few sites offering free music without the need for P2P software and I took advantage of some free trial periods. ISP (Charter) was in Sony's back pocket and if you use their F-Secure, they know what you are doing. At least they think they do because they claimed I was using Limewire and they have been known to let Sony anally rape Charter customers for using P2P software.

NA4BH
08-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Find one of those speedtest sites.

ad4mg
08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Find one of those speedtest sites.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Just pick a server close to your location!

KJ3N
08-28-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/

Just pick a server close to your location!

23.77 Mb/s down
4.51 Mb/s up

kf0rt
08-28-2010, 09:58 PM
My ISP claimed I was guilty of suspicious downloading. OK, whatever that means. Our connection was throttled back and I complained. In 2007 there were a few sites offering free music without the need for P2P software and I took advantage of some free trial periods. ISP (Charter) was in Sony's back pocket and if you use their F-Secure, they know what you are doing. At least they think they do because they claimed I was using Limewire and they have been known to let Sony anally rape Charter customers for using P2P software.

Got a buddy whose wife's home business account was shut down by Comcast for bit-torrenting a couple movies. All he could get on the net was a redirect to a "contact us" page. He called them and got a minor lecture about piracy. After promising to "not do it again" they turned everything back on. I use bit-torrent stuff rarely these days. Comcast just called me a couple weeks ago and gave me a faster connection + Cinemax for $5/mo. The whores! We seem to use about 20-30GB of bandwidth a month, and they don't limit on bandwidth until you hit 250GB.

I avoid Sony products anymore... They're no longer a consumer friendly company - haven't been for some time.

KA5PIU
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Hello.

I am on AT&T and SBC internet, one is DSL and the other is dial-up.
I also have university access, a point to point microwave system.
Even on dial-up I can watch some movies.
And, Sony has had issues with piracy.
Nintendo has refused to release the FamaCom in the Americas market, citing piracy.
Sony has released all kinds of anti-piracy gadgets, from the Betamax to the UMD for the PSP.
Yet the amazing thing about all of this is that Sony was at the tail end of this just a few years ago.
When the VCR came out there was question about the rights to tape a TV production, and Sony did everything to argue for the rights of the public.

KG4CGC
08-29-2010, 12:04 AM
The Sony music label (or main Sony music label, I don't know) BMG, was cited for planting trojans and or rootkits on a users computer if they put a Sony music CD in their CD drive on their computer. I don't think they did it with every artist but just the popular ones at the time.
Sony's defense of this practice was that people didn't know what was on their computers anyway and that it wasn't anyone's business except for Sony.

The problem came to light when it was discovered that the rootkit/trojan that Sony planted was vulnerable by those to whom the secret was leaked out to. Needless to say that the hackers in the know took advantage of exploiting what they could.
Anyone else remember this? It was about 2005/06. That's all the details I have on that.

NQ6U
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
The Sony music label (or main Sony music label, I don't know) BMG, was cited for planting trojans and or rootkits on a users computer if they put a Sony music CD in their CD drive on their computer. I don't think they did it with every artist but just the popular ones at the time.
Sony's defense of this practice was that people didn't know what was on their computers anyway and that it wasn't anyone's business except for Sony.

The problem came to light when it was discovered that the rootkit/trojan that Sony planted was vulnerable by those to whom the secret was leaked out to. Needless to say that the hackers in the know took advantage of exploiting what they could.
Anyone else remember this? It was about 2005/06. That's all the details I have on that.

It happened back in 2005; it was supposed to be a form of copy protection. Check out the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) on it.

I remember at the time being glad once again that I use a Mac since the rootkit only worked on Windows machines.

KG4CGC
08-29-2010, 01:50 PM
It happened back in 2005; it was supposed to be a form of copy protection. Check out the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) on it.

I remember at the time being glad once again that I use a Mac since the rootkit only worked on Windows machines.
+thankyou