PDA

View Full Version : Taco bowls

kc7jty
08-25-2010, 02:51 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3062/tacosalad.png

are these crazy things popular in your area? Up here they are all the rage for making the second most liked meal after tuna casserole with cream of mushroom soup poured over top http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/08/13/av-rachael-ray.jpg, Taco Salad.

The finest chefs this area has to offer are all experts on Taco Salad.

WØTKX
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I prefer a hearty bread bowl. Here's a pumpernickel version with spinach dip. :drool:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UHyEzWipcsc/SSqzHW-2T-I/AAAAAAAAADM/GP-K8GiTGU4/s320/PumpernickelDip1.jpg

w3bny
08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Aye Dios Mio, Como que taco bowls.

JUST MAKE TACOS!

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Aye Dios Mio, Como que taco bowls.

JUST MAKE TACOS!
Chain stores are infamous for the tortilla shell bowl. Southwestern chicken topped salad is one application. I personally like Fajitas Del Mar in them thar bowl things.

al2n
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Those things were a fad back in the 80's.

Are they on the come back or is Idaho really farther behind the times than rural Oregon?

kf0rt
08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I prefer a hearty bread bowl. Here's a pumpernickel version with spinach dip. :drool:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UHyEzWipcsc/SSqzHW-2T-I/AAAAAAAAADM/GP-K8GiTGU4/s320/PumpernickelDip1.jpg

For a skinny dude, you sure eat well. :lol:

kc7jty
08-26-2010, 02:09 AM

that's probably good.

kc7jty
08-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Those things were a fad back in the 80's.

Are they on the come back or is Idaho really farther behind the times than rural Oregon?

They probably peaked back then, then never came back down.

KG4CGC
08-26-2010, 05:34 AM

I noticed that the spinach dip in the picture is the new version or 'twist' that eateries are serving these days and it lacks any discernible amount of spinach. 15 or so years ago I was really impressed with the spinach artichoke dip being served as the industry standard of the time and I still like. We have made it here at home and have taken it to parties and it is always a hit with most people.
Thaw and drain frozen (sorry Bill) spinach and some jarred in oil artichokes. Mix with just enough condensed cream of mushroom soup, preferably Campbell's or any store brand from the same factory, until it just blends with the spinach. Grate mozzarella cheese into the mix and stir. Grate just a touch of Parmesan on the top and bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until it starts bubbling. These days I used about half as much cream of mushroom soup and fill in the balance with olive oil. To make it easier to dip in to, cut a grid pattern into it with a non serrated knife.

That's just me but it is rich in spinach and will stand up to a sturdy dinner wine. I like to use flour tortillas and cut a stack of them into quarters then lightly heat them, quickly in a hot pan until stiff. They should just start to get bubble pockets. A light hint of lime salt, if you can still get it, over the completed batch as they cool and you are good to go my friends.

Yes. The original recipe calls for fresh garlic. Use it at home. At parties, yeah, not so much. Unless you're hosting a lemon party. People generally don't care much about your breath there since most octogenarians have a diminished sense of smell.

W3WN
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3062/tacosalad.png

are these crazy things popular in your area? Up here they are all the rage for making the second most liked meal after tuna casserole with cream of mushroom soup poured over top, Taco Salad.

The finest chefs this area has to offer are all experts on Taco Salad.
Remember Chi-Chi's? This was their standard "bowl" for taco salads (and other "salads") for years.

w3bny
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Wanna know what scary is... Tostito's spinach dip...in a jar OMG...<hurk>

I only make real spinach dip twice a year...maybe three. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Remember, we DO NOT feed sour cream to Mrs. Lapin...

KG4CGC
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Excessive consumption of taco bowls can lead to a known condition called Taco Bowels.
Taco Bowels is noted by being both constipated but with diarrhea. It's trying to evacuate but it doesn't quite make it and this causes extreme discomfort in the sufferer.
Taco Bowels are also noted by bloating, excessive gas, frequent trips that yield very little evacuation, yielded evacuation is noted to be runny with extreme acidic discomfort.
The main causes of Taco Bowels are still being studied but so far, Taco bowels have been linked to improperly cooked or stored meat and the over-spicing of these meats to hide their rancid nature. Taco Bowels can also be caused by expose to e-Coli and salmonella.

w3bny
09-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Excessive consumption of taco bowls can lead to a known condition called Taco Bowels.
Taco Bowels is noted by being both constipated but with diarrhea. It's trying to evacuate but it doesn't quite make it and this causes extreme discomfort in the sufferer.
Taco Bowels are also noted by bloating, excessive gas, frequent trips that yield very little evacuation, yielded evacuation is noted to be runny with extreme acidic discomfort.
The main causes of Taco Bowels are still being studied but so far, Taco bowels have been linked to improperly cooked or stored meat and the over-spicing of these meats to hide their rancid nature. Taco Bowels can also be caused by expose to e-Coli and salmonella.

Mine work quite well with or without tacos thank you very much

KG4CGC
09-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Mine work quite well with or without tacos thank you very much
Your what work quite well?

w3bny
09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Mine bowels

KG4CGC
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Mine bowels
EWWW! DUDE! What's wrong with you? You're just gross!

you walked right into that

KA5PIU
09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Hello.

The Taco Salad got really popular with the yuppies in the 80s but were always popular with the Mexican community around here.
Here what you do is wrap some strong paper or foil around the thing and carry it as a bowl, eat the insides and go for the shell last.
Construction workers love it, but the thing is assembled right before you eat it, 2 containers, one with the meat and the other with the veggies so it does not get soggy and soft.
Most Mexicans are very close knit so they bring the cooked meat in one large container and you pick what you are going to do with it, Tacos or a Taco Salad, etc.
We also bring enough water and gatorade for the entire crew.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 04:22 AM
this original reply was posted by my hitting the backspace bar. Pretty damned kinky if you ask me.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 04:25 AM
constipated but with diarrhea.

When I get that it's a short but large diameter plug of wood, which requires a load of torque to release, followed by an explosion of black liquado.

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 04:33 AM
gatorade for the entire crew.

Jesus! anyone who can drink that stuff is completely diseased. I bought a bottle of it to get the plastic jug for something I needed.
I decided to taste it. It set my palate back 5,000 years. Down the drain baby. That chit is a contender for lowest on the planet with Dr Pepper.

kf0rt
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
When I get that it's a short but large diameter plug of wood, which requires a load of torque to release, followed by an explosion of black liquado.

EWWW! DUDE! What's wrong with you? You're just gross!

KG4CGC
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Jesus! anyone who can drink that stuff is completely diseased. I bought a bottle of it to get the plastic jug for something I needed.
I decided to taste it. It set my palate back 5,000 years. Down the drain baby. That chit is a contender for lowest on the planet with Dr Pepper.
Was that before or after they made it stop tasting like urine?

kc7jty
09-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Was that before or after they made it stop tasting like urine?

don't need an answer on this one.

KG4CGC
09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
don't need an answer on this one.
Seriously. For three and a half decades, Gatorade tasted exactly like salted urine. What they tried t disguise as lemon & lime did, anyway.
It either grew on you or it didn't.

KA5PIU
09-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Hello.

Gatorade is really good for the Mexicans, the only ones who will drink it en masse.
But only the Mexicans do any real work around here.
United Farm Workers was an attempt to unionize the workers but was something of a failure by limiting hours.
Construction jobs are another example, Mexicans do all the work.
But most do not understand the concept of Latinos who are US citizens, and do not care, "They are all Mexicans".
However, ads that say 'Gatorade, it's for Mexicans' does not sound quite right. ;)