PDA

View Full Version : 33 Chilean Miners Stuck Underground Until Christmas

N2NH
08-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks, but I doubt if I could do this. I'm a big guy and to be stuck underground would drive me crazy.

For 33 men found alive after 17 days trapped deep in a copper and gold mine, the toughest challenge now may be preserving their sanity during the months it may take to carve a tunnel big enough for them to get out.

They believe they'll be alright since they have food, water and shelter, but they'll be there for the next four months.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_chile_mine_collapse;_ylt=Al_4_djVi962UU2rN9nOso WepsB_;_ylu=X3oDMTNiNWJsMTdrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwOD IzL2x0X2NoaWxlX21pbmVfY29sbGFwc2UEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBv cHVsYXIEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwM2BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3Rvcmllcw RzbGsDMzNtaW5lcnNpbmNo

W4GPL
08-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Yeah, that's going to be a rough 4 months.. though it's nice to see some good news regarding a mining accident for a change.

Hopefully they can come up with a faster way to dig them out.

KG4CGC
08-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, that's going to be a rough 4 months.. though it's nice to see some good news regarding a mining accident for a change.

The company in Chile is probably a subsidiary of BP.

kf0rt
08-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Hopefully they're getting paid overtime. :yes:

NQ6U
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
They're gonna look like vampires by the time they get out of there. Hope they have a lot of vitamin D supplements available.

KG4CGC
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Later updates said that they're in a shelter down there.
Uh, 4 months of underground toileting?

N7RJD
08-23-2010, 09:01 PM
The company in Chile is probably a subsidiary of BP.

If they were associated with BP they'd just oil 'em up and slide 'em right out.

KG4CGC
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
If they were associated with BP they'd just oil 'em up and slide 'em right out.
That only works on I Love Lucy and The Flintstones.

KA5PIU
08-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Hello.

But just think, how do you get food to them?

W7XF
08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Uhhhh... Cowthief.....
Didn't you read the ENTIRE thread?

They believe they'll be alright since they have food, water and shelter, but they'll be there for the next four months.

N7RJD
08-23-2010, 10:54 PM
That only works on I Love Lucy and The Flintstones.

I didn't much love Lucy but I'm good with the Flintstones.:rofl::rofl:

N7RJD
08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Uhhhh... Cowthief.....
Didn't you read the ENTIRE thread?

Or here's a wild idea. How about the linked article?
Reading is fundamental and may not be for the mental.

w3bny
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Actually, they didnt have ENOUGH food. So they are sending stuff down shafts. Also drilling more shafts for ventillation and some comm lines.

N7RJD
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
First miner up and out and headed back down with a second rescuer going in.

WA4TM
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
The second one is on his way up... YAH

W4GPL
10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I've been completely overwhelmed by the coverage tonight. I'm quite a sap.. but damn. Feel good story of the year, I'm sure.

KA5PIU
10-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Hello.

The President of Chile bet his post on this, and won.
In a few hours Chile will be a country of absolute fame.
In a few months this may be forgotten.
It is all up to the President.
Will he lead his country into a new era, or stagnate into the old.

kc7jty
10-13-2010, 03:48 AM
The event is a victory for our kind. A flash but brief on the dismal road that returns us once again into darkness, did I glimpse a smile?

N2NH
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Yep. Feels good to hear they're coming out. Of course as with any human endeavour, there's a fly in the ointment. If I were this guy, I'd want to be the last one up...

Ever since it was discovered that the 33 men who were trapped by the mine collapse in Chile were actually alive, we've pretty much known there was going to be a movie made out of their story. The question was, what kind of movie? Would it be a movie of grim semi-salvation, like Alive, where only a few people get eaten? Would it be truly dark, like United 93, with flickers of hope and human triumph but a gruesomely blunt ending? Or would it be an out-and-out, Seabiscuit-style feel-good movie of the year? Well, it turns out it may not be any of those things. The Post reports today that while waiting for trapped miner Yonni Barrios, his wife Marta Salinas made an unpleasant discovery: Barrios's mistress, Susanna Valanzuela, was also hanging around the mine site waiting to see her man, the same man, surface. "This woman has no legitimacy!" hissed Salinas. "We are in love!" replied Valenzuela. "I'll wait for him!"

That's going to be one heck of a reunion. Hate to see the welcome back party...

He might want to stay down there for awhile... (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/oops_trapped_miner_wife_gal_pal_oBkj1h8eng9C0vJ9Z9 KBjI)

N2CHX
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Whoa.

KA5PIU
10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Hello.

If this were to happen to me I would be just so screwed.
I keep a harem going.
The only way to make that work is have 2 phones and something like google talk and VoIP going.
But not married and no plans for it.
The total overall cost has to be kept down, things like a diamond ring are not an option as I would need to buy 4 matching rings, one for me and 3 female.
I do everything I can to keep where I live a secret, the last time one showed up she brought her mother.

kf0rt
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello.

I keep a harem going.
The only way to make that work is have 2 phones and something like google talk and VoIP going.
The total overall cost has to be kept down, things like a diamond ring are not an option as I would need to buy 4 matching rings, one for me and 3 female.
I do everything I can to keep where I live a secret, the last time one showed up she brought her mother.

Yeah, me too. :yes:

KA5PIU
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Yep. Feels good to hear they're coming out. Of course as with any human endeavour, there's a fly in the ointment. If I were this guy, I'd want to be the last one up...

He might want to stay down there for awhile... (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/oops_trapped_miner_wife_gal_pal_oBkj1h8eng9C0vJ9Z9 KBjI)

Hello.

What he saw was his butt getting kicked by 2 females topside!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/13/chile.miners.voices/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

KG4CGC
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Yep. Same here.

ki4itv
10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Very few can pull that off like Charles Kuralt (http://www.salon.com/people/feature/1999/06/08/kuralt) did. :doh:

He was one of my hero's growing up. Traveling around in a Winnebago, talking to interesting people...and that was his job. How do I sign up for a career like that? It was like Shazaam! without the punk kid.
When I found out about his double life, I was like WTF??? Him? :lol:

W4RLR
10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Very few can pull that off like Charles Kuralt (http://www.salon.com/people/feature/1999/06/08/kuralt) did. :doh:

He was one of my hero's growing up. Traveling around in a Winnebago, talking to interesting people...and that was his job. How do I sign up for a career like that? It was like Shazaam! without the punk kid.
When I found out about his double life, I was like WTF??? Him? :lol:There is hope for overweight, balding, fat white men yet.

N7RJD
10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Hello.

I keep a harem going.

Yep. Same here.

And here I thought I was the only one.

Like I even want to try to handle more than one, and that's without them being out to kill me.

NQ6U
10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Rudy's got one of those "Take A Number" machines like they have down at the deli. Saves a lot of trouble when all those women start lining up outside his front door. "First come, first served, ladies."

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/64688/64688,1154963218,1/stock-photo-take-a-number-machine-red-d-render-1646974.jpg

N2CHX
10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Rudy's got one of those "Take A Number" machines like they have down at the deli. Saves a lot of trouble when all those women start lining up outside his front door. "First come, first served, ladies."

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/64688/64688,1154963218,1/stock-photo-take-a-number-machine-red-d-render-1646974.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha!

Yeah right.

N7RJD
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Rudy's got one of those "Take A Number" machines like they have down at the deli. Saves a lot of trouble when all those cattle start lining up outside his front door. "First come, first served, ladies."

Let's display some sense of reality. :lol::lol:

W7XF
10-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Isn't that the same model of take-a-number dispenser that is at the Huntsville. TX death chamber???????

KA5PIU
10-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Hello.

I met quite a few traveling salesman and buyers in my day.
Quite a few led double lives as CIA informants or other.
It is very hard to set up a double life now, but back in the day it was easy, no SS numbers or anything.
The local credit bureau was just that, a local operatrion.
Getting credit started was as easy as running down to the local jeweler and grocery store and opening an account.
Gas cards were another option as was a department store except that this might require more information than you wanted to provide.
Once you had everything set up you ran with it.
3 or 4 wallets, one in your coat pocket for whatever city you were in and one in you pants pocket for the official documents.
Once everything was set up you could have 2 drivers license even, not so easy now.
But the CIA did not want people who had a harem of females or homosexuals, concerns over blackmail.