PDA

View Full Version : Complex Eruption on the Sun Sends CME toward Earth

KA9MOT
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
http://spaceweather.com/

OK, As I understand it, this is going to put the smack down on any band conditions we may have when it hits the Earth on or about the 3rd.........I should also disconnect all antennas and wrap the rigs in Tin Foil........Am I correct.

N5RLR
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
As they say on Godlike Productions [click] (http://www.godlikeproductions.com): **ULTIMATE DOOM!!!**

Seriously, I thought that C-class flares were small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth. :quiet:

KA5PIU
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Hello.

I do not expect any major effect.

N8YX
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
An event of this magnitude would be cause for greater concern if the ejecta was headed towards us:

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?month=10&day=28&year=2003&view=view

I remember that storm.

My mother used to talk of seeing aurorae where she grew up in SE WV. On one such occasion, the sky was colored so intensely red that her family thought the entire woods surrounding their town was afire.

I traced her account of the aurora back through the various solar observatory archives and pinned it down to 1935 or 1936, as there were a couple very large solar storms during that time period.

When the CME from 2003 storm hit the magnetosphere and the resulting aurorae occurred, myself and 'DSG were riding our motorcycles out to dinner. When we got back home I helped my mother into 'DSG's car and we headed to a few of the area state parks to check out the fireworks. At one of these I became thoroughly disgusted with the view to the north, as the city of Akron's lights were totally masking the show with all the white glare.

Then I realized that white glare was the show. The auroral discharge was so bright you could read by it.

A couple other spots yielded reds and greens galore - just like ma remembered it. It made her smile with wonderment.

I knew then if I hadn't taken her along that evening that she would never get to see such fireworks again in her life.

True, dat - not quite four years later she was gone.

KA9MOT
08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
OK! I'll put my Tin Foil away then. Whew! That one was close! :)

KC2UGV
08-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I remember a good solar storm we got circa 2001 or 2002. I was seeing the Aurora Borealis in Central Texas! I couldn't believe it, and pulled the car over so I could show the wife. Told her,"This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime show you are seeing. I don't forsee ever going to Alaska."

She was like,"Meh."

N8YX
08-02-2010, 07:29 AM
She was like,"Meh."
But let there be a sale on handbags and shoes, and YOU ignore it - or neglect to inform her...

KC2UGV
08-02-2010, 07:43 AM
But let there be a sale on handbags and shoes, and YOU ignore it - or neglect to inform her...

She's not so into handbags, but a Sephora sale... She's all over that :)

w3bny
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Will it affect the price of ninnernet pr0ns?

N8YX
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Will it affect the price of ninnernet pr0ns?
You actually pay for that? :chin: