PDA

View Full Version : iPad Setup

NA4BH
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
How do I set up an iPad to get my home email? This Apple stuff is new to me. And what about virus protection on it?

K7SGJ
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
After you've had a chance to use it, I will be curios how well you like it. I need to replace a small laptop for several online apps. I assume it will access the internet via a cell type G3 or G4 inferface card. Like I said I'm just starting to look at the apple and rely more on what uses say they can do in leu of what the propaganda says it should do. Drop me a PM
eddie

K7SGJ
07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Are you planning on using it as a reader(in a kindle fashion)?

NA4BH
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
This thing requires a LOT of beer to setup. I think once we get over the learning curve, it will be very nice. I got the 64 gig WIFI. I didn't go for the 3G. I will keep you updated.

W4RLR
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
This thing requires a LOT of beer to setup. I think once we get over the learning curve, it will be very nice. I got the 64 gig WIFI. I didn't go for the 3G. I will keep you updated.http://www.knowyourcell.com/apple/apple-ipad/ipad-guides/454722/how_to_set_up_email_on_the_apple_ipad.html

NA4BH
07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
I can't get the email to work, but I did find free downloads for Amateur Prep courses (upgrade).

W4RLR
07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
I can't get the email to work, but I did find free downloads for Amateur Prep courses (upgrade). Are you configuring the mailbox on the iPad as a POP or IMAP? On my iPhone, it defaults to IMAP, and of course the port numbers don't match up. It takes a bit of playing with, and a bit of beer or other adult beverage. Once it's working, it's great. But the setup is most unApple.

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I used the POP.

mail.domain.net

I got a YAHOO account set up on it. But can't get the home mail to complete.

ad4mg
07-30-2010, 04:57 AM
I used the POP.

mail.domain.net

I got a YAHOO account set up on it. But can't get the home mail to complete.
Is your provider Verizon? They changed the SMTP port to 587 ... my SMTP server setting:

outgoing.verizon.net:587

Pop mail is still handled on port 110:

incoming.verizon.net:110

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I use the local cable company - Cableone.

ad4mg
07-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I use the local cable company - Cableone.
They also block SMTP outgoing port 25, but I cannot find information on which port you should be using!

http://help.cableone.net/HSD/MyServices/Email_Port25.aspx

But, then they say:

Cable One blocks outbound port 25 for residential-level customers with the exception of mail.cableone.net.

Very confusing ...

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
mail.cableone.net is what I have been trying to use.

NQ6U
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been using Apple computers for 20 years now and own two iPhones. What exactly is the error message you're getting? Details can be important.

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't set up my home email in the iPad.

New Account
Name
email address
password
description
Then I push save

Next screen:
I selected POP

The above items plus:
Incoming Mail Server
host name: mail.cableone.net
user name: prefix of email address (up to the @)
Password:

outgoing mail server
Host name: mail.cableone.net

Then I press save.
Verifying
Cannot connect using SSL (do you want to set up without SSL) YES
Verifying again
The POP server "mail.cableone.net" is not responding. Check network connection and everything was entered correctly.

That is where I'm at.

W4RLR
07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Bob, try entering the ENTIRE user name, example bob@cableone.net (bob@bitbucket.com). See if that works. I have to do that with my leased server (hosted on a Macintosh running Mac OS X Server) that hosts my domains.

My guess is Cableone is using Google's GMail as their mail server platform. Try using the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad settings that Cableone lists in their help section, it will go to Google's GMail support pages.

Taking a look at the Cableone web site, it appears that they require you enter the full user name.

Also look here. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77702 . Try those settings (which are IMAP instead of POP) and just substitute your entire user name example bob@cableone.net where it says username yourname@gmail.com .

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
NADA. Same thing. I will find another WIFI spot and try it there,

NQ6U
07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Are you connected to cableone.net when you are trying this? That is, you're not at some other location--work or somewhere else? Most mail servers these days won't allow off-network access as an anti-spam, anti-hacking precaution.

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Are you connected to cableone.net when you are trying this? That is, you're not at some other location--work or somewhere else? Most mail servers these days won't allow off-network access as an anti-spam, anti-hacking precaution.

I'm at home. I am going to call them and see if there is something special for Apple.

NQ6U
07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Try setting your port to 955. That's fixed similar problems for me.

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Try setting your port to 955. That's fixed similar problems for me.

I think we are making progress. I can send mail but can't get any. The outgoing port is 587.

EDIT TO ADD: Now the outgoing port is 25

NA4BH
07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I figured out the ports are 110 and 25. I can send mail but can't receive any. The way I got in going was to change the name that you see when an email is received to the email address. Once the account was set up I was able to change the ports and play with the other stuff. I'm sure it is something very simple that needs changing, but that can wait until tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

I told the Wife, after playing with the iPad all day, the next computer will be an Apple. I likes it.

W4RLR
07-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I think we are making progress. I can send mail but can't get any. The outgoing port is 587.

EDIT TO ADD: Now the outgoing port is 25What does iPad mail have to do with not getting any? Sorry Bob, could not resist.

Glad you like Apple. You'll love a Macintosh.

n0iu
08-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Not that this has anything to do with the mail program on the iPad, but since this is the island of misfit hams, I will confess that one of the first apps I downloaded on my iPad was.... (I am so ashamed).... EchoLink. I have never used it before (I swear!), but I am starting to get an idea of what all the fuss is about.

Actually, I set up the account and got it verified, but then nature called. So I took my iPad into the "throne room" and set it up in there. It wasn't any more than 2-3 minutes when I got a call from a DX station in England! He said the audio quality was quite good, but there seemed to be a slight echo. I didn't have the heart to tell him where I was!

NA4BH
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
The email works. WOO-HOO.......

NQ6U
08-01-2010, 10:24 PM
The email works. WOO-HOO.......

What did you do that finally got it working?

NA4BH
08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I have no idea. I sent an email to the cable company asking what was I missing. I tried the email tonight and the first message was that the username or password were wrong. I know the password was right, so I changed the user name and bingo.

As far as liking this thing, I wonder how we got along without it.

NQ6U
08-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I have no idea. I sent an email to the cable company asking what was I missing. I tried the email tonight and the first message was that the username or password were wrong. I know the password was right, so I changed the user name and bingo.

As far as liking this thing, I wonder how we got along without it.

Sounds like what us (recovering) tech support guys call a JOOTT--Just One Of Those Things.

Don't have an iPad but I do have an iPhone and think it's great. Been using Macs for years and prefer them to all others. You will feel the same if you get one as your next computer, I'm sure.

About the only disadvantage I can think of is there is not as much ham radio related software for the Mac as there is for Windows. I've found a pretty decent app for the digital modes (CocoaModem) but as far as I can tell, there is no radio control software available which will run on a Mac so I use an old Windows XP machine out in the shack. Everything else, though, I do on the Mac.

NA4BH
08-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I did find in the APPS section some free "License Upgrade" stuff. Just type in ARRL, there are a couple of free study guides there. I did see one APP that was $499.00. All I said was WTF?

W4RLR
08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Sounds like what us (recovering) tech support guys call a JOOTT--Just One Of Those Things.

Don't have an iPad but I do have an iPhone and think it's great. Been using Macs for years and prefer them to all others. You will feel the same if you get one as your next computer, I'm sure.

About the only disadvantage I can think of is there is not as much ham radio related software for the Mac as there is for Windows. I've found a pretty decent app for the digital modes (CocoaModem) but as far as I can tell, there is no radio control software available which will run on a Mac so I use an old Windows XP machine out in the shack. Everything else, though, I do on the Mac.Au contraire! Try Mac Logger DX. Canadian amateur Don Agro wrote it and continues the support. Mac users call it "the Swiss Army Knife of logging and rig control".