PDA

View Full Version : Beams on towers in Beverly Hills...

W1GUH
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Beverly Hills -- home of movie stars & moguls et al. And apparently a very ham friendly city! While out there recently I saw two beams on towers in regular type yards. Both looked like they were the "average" type installation -- nothing fancy or terribly high, in fact one was what looked like a large Steppr on a tower that couldn't have been over 30' up, if that. Haven't checked to see if those were "grandfathered" over later ordinances against such installations, but it was kinda surprising and nice to see that. Neither looked as if they'd have flown in a community with an HOA.

W4RLR
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
So much for the old saw that amateur radio antennas adversely affect property values.

NQ6U
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
So much for the old saw that amateur radio antennas adversely affect property values.

Especially since everyone knows it not the antennas, it's the hams themselves who do that.

KG4CGC
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Too bad they just won't put that saw down long enough to let it rust.

N7YA
08-01-2010, 05:49 AM
If anything, all this now-obsolete hubris about property values being destroyed by some guys antennas has forced us to become better at stealthifying how we get on the air.

...and i think i may have just invented a word. Ill let Palin hire someone to put it in her next book.

n0iu
08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Well its not Beverly Hills, but here is a screen shot of the street level view of Joe Walsh's house in Studio City --

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/wb6acu.jpg

W4RLR
08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Well its not Beverly Hills, but here is a screen shot of the street level view of Joe Walsh's house in Studio City --

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/wb6acu.jpgBut does he live there? You know his song "Life's Been Good", where he sings about "I've got a mansion, forget the price, ain't ever been there, they tell me it's nice."

n0iu
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Well all I know is that's the address on his license... no matter where he lives!

kf0rt
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Well all I know is that's the address on his license... no matter where he lives!

Pretty sure he lives there. It's been his "address of record" for a couple decades now.

Interesting, tho... (and one of the fun things about Google Maps)... you can turn on the "Real Estate" overlay and view all the houses in the vicinity that are on the market. Most of those in Joe's area are going for less than $1.5 mil. I guess that surprised me a bit. The lots are big, but far from huge, and the same houses on similar land might fetch half that here in Denver. Joe's in a pretty prime location, I'd think. Not far from Mulholland Drive and close to the mountains. As if I know anything about CA.

"Ordinary average guy" indeed.

KA5PIU
08-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello.

An average size lot is part of the issue.
What exactly is average?
Ever been to Beverly Hills? the lots are huge.
An antenna that is 60 feet in the air? would anyone even notice?
But, take that very same 60 foot tower and antenna and put it in an HOA area, well, it looks so large.
In the case of the BH area, there is plenty of area On the property in question to where if it were to fall it would not be an issue.
HOA properties are sometimes little wider than the house itself, 100 feet long?
Somebody Moves into such an area and has issues?
Why did they buy a house in just such a place to begin with?
There are people who want to move into an HOA area and want to raise livestock, everything from chickens to cattle.
Do they have as much right as the ham who wants to put up a 100+ tall tower?

W1GUH
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
To get a little more specific, I saw the "what looked like a large Steppr that was up no more than 30 feet" when I was driving west on Cashio St. between Robetrson and Beverly Dr. Maybe not technically Beverly Hills, and certainly not the part of Beverly where "the lots are huge." Looking at Google Earth, those are tiny lots, and it'd be a good guess that there wasn't room for it to fall wholly within the lot it was on. And, yes, it DID look huge. This might show the area. (http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=34.051454,-118.39216&spn=0.002391,0.010514&z=17) OK...link works...you can see Cashio there, and it was about a block south of that that I saw it. Those are tiny lots!

kf0rt
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
It doesn't really look like the lots in Beverly Hills are "huge" at all. City-block lots are smaller than 1/3 acre and most of the mountain lots look like they're under an acre. Of course, they have no problem dropping a 10,000sf residence on a 13,340sf lot. Around here, a suburban residential lot is typically between 1/4 and 1/5 acre.

Clicky (http://www.socalmls.com/CA/BEVERLY-HILLS/90210/homes-for-sale/616-N-FOOTHILL-RD-49030641/print)

n0eq
10-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Bev Hills, like the rest of LA, is pretty much a toilet these days.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com)

N7YA
10-04-2010, 09:54 PM
...a toilet that hasnt been scrubbed in a long time, i might add.