PDA

View Full Version : VMware vs Virtualbox

N1LAF
07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I have both VMware player and Virtualbox running on my computer. Both were very easy to setup. Installed Windows98SE on both.

- Virtualbox was unstable with Win98SE
- VMware player: Stable and very usable

When you install Win98SE, after installation, you need to install VMware tools, and that fixes resolution and lots of other things. Also, getting files between the main computer and the WIN98SE virtual machine was a simple matter of making a WIN98SE directory as 'Shared', and the XP network found it without a hitch.

You may ask, why Windows 98? i have a few graphics programs that will not run post Win98SE, one installed and ran without a hitch, and the other I have to find where I stored it (CDROM collection).

Firefox 2.0.0.12 runs fine on Win98, and that is what I am using now to post this.

VMware is the program to use for Windows98SE, but you have to be online for the VMware tools download.

As soon as I can modify the website, I will post the Virtual Machines link.

W4GPL
07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I use VirtualBox as a Linux host/Windows XP guest. Can't say I've had any problems..I mostly side with VirtualBox because Oracle's open source motives seem slightly more transparent. The only app I run within VirtualBox on a regular basis is SlingBox, so your mileage may vary.

KC2UGV
07-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Did you install the VirtualTools for VBox? That might correct the instabilities.

ad4mg
07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Did you install the VirtualTools for VBox? That might correct the instabilities.
The guest additions for VBox won't work on pre-Win2K MS OS's. I installed Win 98SE in VBox here, runs OK, available resolution is teh suck. Those same guest additions work very well for Win2K, XP, and any modern flavor of Linux that I've thrown at it.

KC2UGV
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
The guest additions for VBox won't work on pre-Win2K MS OS's. I installed Win 98SE in VBox here, runs OK, available resolution is teh suck. Those same guest additions work very well for Win2K, XP, and any modern flavor of Linux that I've thrown at it.

Well, that might explain why vbox is teh suck for Win98... I like VBox for vm's running on my local machine, but ESX for when I need the remote management features and what not for VM's. YMMV.

N1LAF
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Ran VMware Tools with the operating systems, way cool. The display resolution dynamically changes with window size. I was able to copy the VM for the OS from desktop to laptop, open as copied, and it ran perfect. Vbox crashes on Win98SE, and the video drivers are crappy, so don't waste your time with Win98SE on Vbox, VMware player is much superior for this config. Also, my old copy of W2K also can be transferred between computers. Win XP, you will need to authenticate on each machine. What was cool is running two copies of XP on the XP platform. With dual quad core processors, no delays in execution

Presently, I am downloading the desktop version of Ubuntu, 10.4 or 10.5, something like that, its a big 699 MB iso file, 130 MB left to download. That will be my next experiment.

N1LAF
07-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Download VMware player here (104MB): http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
You will need a valid email address to download file.

Install, and try WIN98SE on it, and download and install the tools. You will see what I mean.

Next on my 'try it out' list is DOSBOX and Virtual PC 2007.

ad4mg
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Download VMware player here (104MB): http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
You will need a valid email address to download file.

Install, and try WIN98SE on it, and download and install the tools. You will see what I mean.

Next on my 'try it out' list is DOSBOX and Virtual PC 2007.
DOSBox is pretty cool for running DOS apps. I wrote a version of Triple Yahtzee years ago in Quick Basic, and it, along with the dozens of apps I wrote in QB run very well. So does the old classic, "Railroad Tycoon". No experience with Virtual PC yet.

N1LAF
07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
OK, this is cool... when VMware utilities/tools installed, files can be copied directly to and from the VMware clients, just discovered this tonight. Everything works great, no problems with sound, network, devices. VMware player is now highly recommended.

KC2UGV
07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
OK, this is cool... when VMware utilities/tools installed, files can be copied directly to and from the VMware clients, just discovered this tonight. Everything works great, no problems with sound, network, devices. VMware player is now highly recommended.

Just an FYI, VmWare everything is built on the same core: VMWare Server, Player, ESX, etc. So, if one works, they all will :)

N1LAF
07-30-2010, 04:04 PM
I am impressed with the stability, compatibility, and the drivers for the OS's.

What is the story with POSIX? What exactly is it?