PDA

View Full Version : FCC Rules on Petition to Amend Rules on Disaster Drills

W3WN
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
From today's FCC Digest:
-------------------------
AMENDMENT OF PART 97 OF THE COMMISSION'S RULES REGARDING AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE COMMUNICATIONS DURING GOVERNMENT DISASTER DRILLS.

Amended the rules in this proceeding.
Dismissed the American Hospital Association request for blanket waiver.
Dismissed the Amateur Radio Policy Committee Petition for Rulemaking. (Dkt No. 10-72 10-54 ).
Action by: the Commission.
Adopted: 07/14/2010 by R&O. (FCC No. 10-124). PSHSB

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-124A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-124A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-124A1.txt

Current rules provide for amateur radio use during emergencies.2 At the same time, the rules prohibit communications in which the station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer.3 While there are some exceptions to this prohibition, there is none that would permit amateur station control operators who are employees of public safety agencies and other entities, such as hospitals, to participate in drills, tests and exercises in preparation for such emergency situations and transmit messages on behalf of their employers during such drills and tests.4

Accordingly, we amend our rules to provide that, under certain limited conditions, amateur radio operators may transmit messages during emergency and disaster preparedness drills and exercises, limited to the duration of such drills and exercises, regardless of whether the operators are employees of entities participating in the drills or exercises.

N8YX
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
IBTEM (In Before The EmComm Whackers) ... :whistle:

ad4mg
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Sound decision. The waiver process allows all the necessary leeway for drill participation. It also provides a vehicle by which the activity of employee participation may be recorded for later review.

This only puts an obstruction in front of those wishing to change the "amateur" nature of amateur radio, i.e., the Emcomm "whacker" types.

It's true ... even a blind squirrel finds the acorn now and then.

W3WN
07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Indeed. I think anyone who reads the entire decision should come away feeling that the FCC did just as much as they had to do, and no more.

Unusual in this day and age. Especially when dealing with that agency.

WØTKX
07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
If we ever use Ham EmComm where I work, it would be far better to have employees on it.
For the simple reason that they know the territory, will do a better job, and not "get in the way".
Radio is simply a communication medium; just like phones, Internet, and signal flags.

Have 2 required "Homeland Security" emergency certs done now... and there will be a few more.
Complete with handsome certificates. See no reason to ad Ham EmComm to the mix, or even suggest it.

Just call me the Whacker:Knot.

KA5PIU
08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello.

I agree, an employee is already trained in the job and works there.
Amateur Radio operators are exactly what the name implies, nothing more.
But, combine Amateur Radio with that of an employee in a given field and you get far more than the sum of its parts.
I can not expect a ham to render emergency medical care, unless he or she was also a medic.
I can not expect a ham to operate an excavator or loader, unless he or she has a construction background.
I can not expect a ham to drive a class 8 semi-tractor trailer, unless he or she holds a class A CDL.
But, I meet all of the above, Amateur Radio is a hobby to me.
I am not the emcomm whacker type by any means, but construction safety and emergency medical training go hand in hand.
Have a major disaster and you will want me there, someone who can do the job in a safe and effective manner.
But, I will be the employee of a construction company.