PDA

View Full Version : Antenna mounting question

KC2UGV
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Ok, this sounds like a really, really dumb question:

I have my upstairs porch, with one of those cast iron railings, mkay. The overhang corrugated hangs over by about a foot.

So, what I am trying to do is this:

1 1/2 ft Standoff
10 ft mast from there.

Stupid question is this: What kind of hardware do I need to get to try this? The stock antenna standoffs look kind of pricey, so I'm wondering what I could get from Home Depot/Lowes to do the job.

Like, should I be looking in the fence hardware section? Plumbing? Both? And what kind of hardware should I be looking for here?

WØTKX
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Does the mast go to something solid at it's base (ground or deck), or are you trying to support the mast with just the standoff?

KC2UGV
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Does the mast go to something solid at it's base (ground or deck), or are you trying to support the mast with just the standoff?

Just the standoff. Winds here are moderate, at best (Except for extreme weather, then I'll babysit it).

The standoffs will be mounted to the roof support (1" steel pipe).

KG4CGC
07-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Chain link fence hardware is super cheap. See if any of that fits your needs.

VE7MGF
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
in the fastener section they have angle iron with rows of holes in them plus come ubolt clamps might work
make a L shaped bracket with a gusset

N8YX
07-13-2010, 06:31 AM
in the fastener section they have angle iron with rows of holes in them plus come ubolt clamps might work
make a L shaped bracket with a gusset
+1 - I would definitely brace the bottom end of the support.

KC2UGV
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
As an update to this thread, as to not leaving ya'll hanging, I attached a pic of what finally got assembled.

For what's up there, it may be structural overkill (6 ft of fiberglass pole with a 2 meter ground plane antenna), but I figure maybe I'll get a 5/8 wave dual-band antenna up there eventually.

But, this has led to an interesting discovery. At this height, I know can hear the NOAA weather station down in Erie, PA (About 90 miles as the crow flies), as well Binghamton, NY. The Erie shot, no surprise, but Binghamton about 225 miles as the crow flies. Is this realistic with an urban antenna, 35 ft HAAG? Or is this station much closer than I think? I thought 100 miles was LOS at that point?

W4GPL
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I object to this 'ham radio' talk on a ham radio forum. Just who do you think you guys are? ;)

:troll:

Carry on.

N5RLR
08-11-2010, 07:29 PM
For what's up there, it may be structural overkill (6 ft of fiberglass pole with a 2 meter ground plane antenna), but I figure maybe I'll get a 5/8 wave dual-band antenna up there eventually.
Maybe overkill for such a light load, but what the heck; good job. :-D Only thing I'd suggest is to weatherproof/paint it.

...At this height, I can hear the NOAA weather station...[in] Binghamton, NY...Is this realistic with an urban antenna, 35 ft HAAG? Or is this station much closer than I think? I thought 100 miles was LOS at that point?
Get some funky tropospheric ducting going on, and you'd be surprised what you'd hear on VHF [or see, back in the days of analog television]. ;)

KJ3N
08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Get some funky tropospheric ducting going on, and you'd be surprised what you'd hear on VHF ....

Like WB0ULX in Huron, SD...... from Delaware. 2m SSB with 50 watts from the IC-7000. 1,200 miles. Got the card to prove it. :yes:

Although, that might have been double-hop Es. Still....

:rock: :dance: :bbh: :monkeydance:

W1GUH
08-16-2010, 01:53 PM
From the pic, this may not be suitable, but it's sure an easy, easy way for temp. antenna mounting:

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/TS139AD/TS139AD.jpg

It's perfect for clamping a mobile (or maybe even no-so-mobile) antenna to something.

KC2UGV
08-16-2010, 02:25 PM
From the pic, this may not be suitable, but it's sure an easy, easy way for temp. antenna mounting:

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/TS139AD/TS139AD.jpg

It's perfect for clamping a mobile (or maybe even no-so-mobile) antenna to something.

That actually looks like it will work FB :) Place one of those on order for when my 5/8 wave comes in :)

W1GUH
08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
The ones I've seen on the web are more expensive than the one I got at a hamfest -- like I said, I think I paid $8, but it coulda been $10.