PDA

View Full Version : IC718 Questions

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a question on the IC718. Since I seem to always ask my questions over on the other forum, I thought I'd give this one a shot this time. A friend of mine has an IC718, so I thought I'd give the manual a going over just to familiarize myself with this rig. One of the options is an SSB filter that costs about $220. It's the 1.8kHz FL222. What I am wondering is what advantage would someone have in paying that kind of money for this filter. The radio itself only runs $650, so, adding a $220 filter would jack the price up considerably. I know that the purpose of the filter is to zero in on signals better, but how much better would the radio perform than it does with whatever filtering it comes with standard? I couldn't find any information on how wide the standard filtering is, so I don't have anything to compare this FL222 with. Any information y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated. My friend doesn't really know the answer, and I'd like to know just in case I decide to get one of these 718s. Thanks.

KJ3N
07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I believe you'll find that the standard filter width for that radio is around 2.4-2.7 Khz. Probably the latter.

The reason the filter is so expensive is that it's in the 455 Khz IF, instead of the 9 Mhz IF.

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I believe you'll find that the standard filter width for that radio is around 2.4-2.7 Khz. Probably the latter.

The reason the filter is so expensive is that it's in the 455 Khz IF, instead of the 9 Mhz IF.

Thanks. Will the performance be that much better with the optional filter than without it? He's just a ragchewer like me. No contests or anything like that.

KJ3N
07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks. Will the performance be that much better with the optional filter than without it? He's just a ragchewer like me. No contests or anything like that.

The filter would help under crowded band conditions. Contests are usually the cause of this, but you will find that if you tend to hang out in the General portion on 75m, things get a little tight at times. It might help with that situation.

If it were me (and it's not, because I own a K3), I'd have a good look at the IC-7200. You're going to be spending over $800 on an IC-718 and one filter. The IC-7200 has DSP IF filtering that can be constantly adjusted to suit your needs. It's about $1050 and you get the added bonus (at least it's a bonus IMO) of 6m all-mode. There's been a lot of 6m SSB and CW activity this season.

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 07:25 PM
The filter would help under crowded band conditions. Contests are usually the cause of this, but you will find that if you tend to hang out in the General portion on 75m, things get a little tight at times. It might help with that situation.

If it were me (and it's not, because I own a K3), I'd have a good look at the IC-7200. You're going to be spending over $800 on an IC-718 and one filter. The IC-7200 has DSP IF filtering that can be constantly adjusted to suit your needs. It's about $1050 and you get the added bonus (at least it's a bonus IMO) of 6m all-mode. There's been a lot of 6m SSB and CW activity this season.

He already has the 718, and I don't know that actually want one, to be honest with you. I know this sounds petty, but that 7200 is as ugly as home made sin! LOL! BTW, the 718 comes with DSP now. It used to be an option, but now it's standard.

KJ3N
07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I know this sounds petty, but that 7200 is as ugly as home made sin!

That may be, but it's a "sleeper" radio. Not many people know just how much better it is compared to the IC-718. The IF DSP is almost as good as the IC-756ProII.

BTW, the 718 comes with DSP now. It used to be an option, but now it's standard.

It's audio DSP and it's rudimentary at best, compared to today's IF DSP. There's simply no comparison.

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 07:42 PM
That may be, but it's a "sleeper" radio. Not many people know just how much better it is compared to the IC-718. The IF DSP is almost as good as the IC-756ProII.

It's audio DSP and it's rudimentary at best, compared to today's IF DSP. There's simply no comparison.

You have a point there. IF DSP is much better than AF DSP. I agree with you that it's probly a "sleeper". It's ugly enough that one look at it is enough to not want to find out more about it. I am looking at the manual now, and it seems like it would be good option for someone considering a 718 with the added filter. Someone who isn't good at soldering would also have to pay someone to solder that 222 in, which would add even more to the cost.

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm. I see the 7200 does not offer FM. That pretty much leaves a portion of 10 meters out. It definitely has a sensitive receiver though. That's an important consideration.

KJ3N
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Hmmmm. I see the 7200 does not offer FM. That pretty much leaves a portion of 10 meters out. It definitely has a sensitive receiver though. That's an important consideration.

Having just about sworn off of VHF and UHF repeaters many years ago, I don't see the absence of FM as a bad thing. YMMV :-P

W9PSK
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Having just about sworn off of VHF and UHF repeaters many years ago, I don't see the absence of FM as a bad thing. YMMV :-P

I guess ICOM is fine with turning the 10 meter FM business over to other companies. Well, after looking over the manual, it seems the 7200 does everything the Yaesu FT450 does. It's more than the 450, but that 450 would simply be too small for my tastes. I don't know anyone that has a 7200 that I could see in person. I was able to determine that it's the same width as my 735 though. I can't help but wonder how small the display is in it. With the speaker in front, a feature I do like, there doesn't seem to be much room left for the display. Maybe I will look on Ebay for some videos of the 7200.

n0iu
07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
:soapbox:

Maybe ICOM read all the postings on "the other board" from newbies who bitch and moan about how the manufacturers are insensitive to needs of newcomers because their radios cost too much so they came out with a "bare bones" (but upgradable) rig. This rig has been out a long time and is widely accepted as one of the, if not the best brand new entry level rigs.

You would think that these cry-babies would take the time and check the prices of some of this stuff BEFORE getting their license and then decide if amateur radio is right for them. If you want to start out with everything brand new, a "basic" HF station can be put together for $1,000.00. So if you don't have $1,000.00 (or $1,000.00 available on your credit card), and you insist on everything being new, don't come crying to me about how unfair it is that this stuff cost so much money!

These are probably the same people who complained about how unfair the Morse code tests were... how it was keeping otherwise good people out of the hobby because it is an antiquated mode that no one uses any more. Well, you won! We gave you that one and now you are still getting your panties in a wad because you can't put together a brand new contest-quality station for under $200! Gimme a break!

Maybe FEMA or Homeland Security will establish some sort of grant program where you can get a complete contest-quality station for free as long as you agree to use it in times of a national crisis.

If that happens, they will still complain about those darn contesters and how they are keeping you from enjoying your hobby.

You people make me sick!!! :boohoo:

WØTKX
07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Considering the fact that a fairly decent used HF rig can be had for $200-300, it's silly.

$1000 in today's dollars is pretty inexpensive.

n0iu
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
$1000 in today's dollars is pretty inexpensive.What the hell kind of attitude is that? After all, "When all else fails, amateur radio gets through!" The country is relying on us to be their savior when the apocalypse hits so the lack of money should not keep anyone out of the hobby... er, service.

W9PSK
07-07-2010, 08:45 AM
:soapbox:

Maybe ICOM read all the postings on "the other board" from newbies who bitch and moan about how the manufacturers are insensitive to needs of newcomers because their radios cost too much so they came out with a "bare bones" (but upgradable) rig. This rig has been out a long time and is widely accepted as one of the, if not the best brand new entry level rigs.

You would think that these cry-babies would take the time and check the prices of some of this stuff BEFORE getting their license and then decide if amateur radio is right for them. If you want to start out with everything brand new, a "basic" HF station can be put together for $1,000.00. So if you don't have $1,000.00 (or $1,000.00 available on your credit card), and you insist on everything being new, don't come crying to me about how unfair it is that this stuff cost so much money!

These are probably the same people who complained about how unfair the Morse code tests were... how it was keeping otherwise good people out of the hobby because it is an antiquated mode that no one uses any more. Well, you won! We gave you that one and now you are still getting your panties in a wad because you can't put together a brand new contest-quality station for under $200! Gimme a break!

Maybe FEMA or Homeland Security will establish some sort of grant program where you can get a complete contest-quality station for free as long as you agree to use it in times of a national crisis.

If that happens, they will still complain about those darn contesters and how they are keeping you from enjoying your hobby.

You people make me sick!!! :boohoo:

Who shit in your Wheaties? LOL!

W9PSK
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Considering the fact that a fairly decent used HF rig can be had for $200-300, it's silly.

$1000 in today's dollars is pretty inexpensive.

When can I expect a check from you? Since a grand isn't really all that expensive, help a brother out! LOL!

Seriously, I am fortunate in that I do have the money right now to get whatever I want. I am not looking so much at getting something because I want it though. I am looking at getting what will be best for what I do in amateur radio. But still, if ya wanna help a brother out....................:D

W9PSK
07-07-2010, 08:54 AM
What the hell kind of attitude is that? After all, "When all else fails, amateur radio gets through!" The country is relying on us to be their savior when the apocalypse hits so the lack of money should not keep anyone out of the hobby... er, service.

Dude, what's the beef? Where in this thread have I or the other fella I was talking with said anything about the shit you are complaining about? If you wanna bitch about the ARRL, emcommers, people with no money to buy radios, etc., you can start your own thread about it in the general chat section. Trust me, it will get more views than this Q&A section.

KJ3N
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I'm sure that's been done with some of the DHS grant money already. :irked:

Who do you think is paying for all the D-Star crap as well? :yuck:

n0iu
07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Sheesh! Read me signature block, will ya! My comments are something called sarcasm. I thought that was allowed over here. Maybe I was wrong. It has happened before!

KC2UGV
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Sheesh! Read me signature block, will ya! My comments are something called sarcasm. I thought that was allowed over here. Maybe I was wrong. It has happened before!

Sarcasm is sometimes lost on the internets...

WØTKX
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Not with me, I read his posts above in this guys voice... :mrgreen:

A picture of me banging on the floor (not the ceiling) may just have to be done.
Since I have a cane to get around with... and it's a paisley mettalic finish! :dance:

:lol:

n0iu
07-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Well I know people in Southern Indiana must have a sense of humor! After all, we tolerated Lee Corso as head football coach for 9 years and he thanked us by giving us a 41–68–2 record!