PDA

View Full Version : Alureon.H virus

W5RB
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Anyone had success recovering from the Alureon.H virus ? I've been able to remove it , mostly , from a friend's machine using the Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes , but it has a lasting effect that causes Google Chrome and IE problems . They'll load , but won't browse .

Google has tips online for files to search for and remove , but it's a long time since I did much on the command line , and I'm having trouble locating the .dll and .exe files left behind . Any guidance would be appreciated .

WØTKX
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Not hit with that one specifically, but it's SOP to find things that the removers and scanners missed, and you want to clean that crap outa there.

Obviously Winders, 'cause it's got IE, but what version and service pack? Forgive me if you know/tried this stuff.

Logged in at admin level, you need too be able to view hidden and system files/directories, and file extensions.

Don't trust Winders File and Dir crap... been a while but I've found weird payloads at the "command line" not "Explorer"...

Get to the CMD prompt, drop to the root of each hard drive (all drive letters) and look for "system" nasties, one page at a time:

dir x..x*.yyy /s/p

then

dir x..x*.yyy /h/p

Where "x..x" is the first part of a nasty file to look for, first three or four characters should be unique enough, "yyy" is the expeceded nasties filename extension, like ".dll" or ".vbs".

The registry needs similar cleansing, are you using any registry tools/scanners?

Deeeeeeeeetails man... ;)

BTW, can you boot to an OS from the CD that will get you to a command line interface that sees the drive(s)?

KC2UGV
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
One of two suggestions to get rid nasties that have gotten into your system:

* Clean reinstall of Windows; with the expectation of having to do it again next time
OR
* Install Linux (Your flavor of choice), and rest assured that for the foreseeable future, you wont have to worry.