PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Good DX

suddenseer
06-16-2010, 10:35 AM
If these scientist are correct, it may be awhile.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37705466/ns/technology_and_science-space/?gt1=43001

N8YX
06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Solar period a little irregular?

A Saturn V full of progesterone will remedy that.

WØTKX
06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
The Sun Goddess loves us, and is preparing another period like the Maunder Minimum, to save us from global warming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyjvzsakGw

KG4CGC
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Solar period a little irregular?

A Saturn V full of progesterone will remedy that.
You stole my face right off my head.

KJ3N
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Define "awhile" and for what band(s). The reason I say that is because there's no shortage of DX on 20m and below. At least, that's my observation.

suddenseer
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Define "awhile" and for what band(s). The reason I say that is because there's no shortage of DX on 20m and below. At least, that's my observation. I agree. I was thinking about the peak before the last one. I understand that was not as strong as past cycles. I was born on the year of the greatest one, so I read. I am remembering when I was on 10M mobile using the baby Tentec that had the plug in modules. That day, I was in ssb qso with Tom Christian VR6TC from the Pitcarin Islands. When I unkeyed the mic, I heard the last few seconds of my transmission. That is not the occasional sporadic E we get now. I also love the magic band. The last cycle, I made many qrp cw contacts to Europe, and Africa, S.America. That was not the summer time Es we get now on 6M. I never operated that much on the lower bands except around 3.5 mhz. or the novice slow code net. I do not even know if they do that anymore. 20M has always been too crowded for me. Before my tribander blew down, I did work some qrp on 14 Mhz. From what I read on the article, the expected peak of the next cycle may be dismal. Assuming the next cycle is better, we may have to wait 1.5 cycles for those wonderful conditions to return.

WX7P
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Define "awhile" and for what band(s). The reason I say that is because there's no shortage of DX on 20m and below. At least, that's my observation.

That's because you live in Delaware. It's amazing what a good 2x1 call from a small state does to your signal strength.

When I had WX7P I was pretty large and in charge because the DX thought I might be from Nevada, Idaho or Wyoming. When I got W6PV, the DX mysteriously went away...

suddenseer
06-16-2010, 07:33 PM
That's because you live in Delaware. It's amazing what a good 2x1 call from a small state does to your signal strength.

When I had WX7P I was pretty large and in charge because the DX thought I might be from Nevada, Idaho or Wyoming. When I got W6PV, the DX mysteriously went away...
The first time I heard a 2x1 call that started with an A. I was soooooo excited. I thought I snagged some rare dx that I could not find on the map.:lol: When I started in the hobby, every call was K, or W.

KJ3N
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Nobody knows where I am in a contest. They don't have time to bother looking it up and since I use my club call during those contests, they have even less of a clue. ;)

Did I also mention that I typically use only 100 watts when I am doing a contest? :-P :lol:

DXpeditions don't really know where I am either. As far as they're concerned, I'm "just another 3 call".

Serves you right for changing the call. :naughty: Nobody wants to work another 6-lander. :-P ;)

KG4CGC
06-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Nobody wants to work another 6-lander.
I know that's right.
LOL!

WX7P
06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I know that's right.
LOL!

Commie SC Haley Lover!

KJ3N
06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Commie SC Haley Lover!

Don't hate the player; hate the game. :rofl:

KG4CGC
06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Poor Nikki Haley. She has taken to emulating the "Palin" voice gestures.

KU0DM
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Nobody wants to work another 6-lander. :-P ;)

Avoid 6-calls like the plague. I'd rather not take my chances and end up working our favorite patriot who thinks California has a K in it.

N7YA
06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Ive been hearing about these terrible conditions for a few years now. I admit, they are taking their sweet time, but i am certainly noticing better condx overall. Looking at my logbook, i'd say its not too bad. I was hammering into SA and the Carib last night on 40...and my sig is not a powerhouse on the low freqs by any means. This time last year, i was tuning dead bands most of the time.

As for being a 7-lander from NV, i dont think it helps as much as you may think...but then im kinda weak and i mostly just answer calls. But when people hear the 7, they always seem to assume WA. That and im a normal 1x2 call that starts with "N"...i dont get a second look during WPX. But that KJ3 call would do well there.

KJ3N
06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
But when people hear the 7, they always seem to assume WA. That and im a normal 1x2 call that starts with "N"...i dont get a second look during WPX. But that KJ3 call would do well there.

It would, if I ever used it in WPX. ;)

The KS3 call I use isn't all that rare.

KU0DM
06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
The KS3 call I use isn't all that rare.

Another Kansas-wannabe I see. ;)

N7YA
06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
DOH!!

WØTKX
06-18-2010, 06:56 PM
for Solar Grand Minima and Solar Cycle Modulation?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.5303

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1005/1005.5303.pdf

Solar system dynamics have been postulated as the main solar driver for many decades. Jose (1965)[4] was the first to associate a recurring solar system pattern of the 4 outer planets (179 years). He suggested this pattern correlates with the modulation of the solar cycle. New research via this study suggests that over the past 6000 years the 179 year cycle cannot be maintained and is closer to a 172 year cycle which aligns with the synodic period of Uranus & Neptune (171.44 years).

Later Landscheidt (2003)[5] progressed the planetary influence theories further by associating quasi-cyclic negative torque readings or “zero crossings” (AM readings going below zero) that can occur near grand minima. It has been found since that the negative readings occur in the general region of most grand minima but such records are not a reliable method of predicting the timing and strength of grand minima at the solar cycle level.

N7RJD
06-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Don't believe everything you read.

From the article:

...astronomers said at the 216th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Miami last month.

A new revelation at the 216th meeting means they have been wrong 215 times before. :-D

Ok, not really but it can be fun to play with statistics.

ka8ncr
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM

It'll be a while before you can load up the equivalent saline soaked string and work JA's.

In the mean time, for those wanting DX, it still means memorizing 468/f in megahertz.

KA5PIU
07-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Hello.

I still feel that the ozone layer thing and solar cycles are very much related.
Me thinks that once we get a major event going that everything will be back to normal.
The ozone layer will ionize, global warming will reverse, and in general the entire planet will make a change.
This is not to say we have not caused damage, not by any means, just that a lot of things are on a natural cycle.

PA5COR
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
What's natural about 8.6 billion people on the earth?
All using energy, wasting land, destroying old forests wasting the air and environment?

If you mean by major event the annihilation of mankind? yest things might turn to normal in a few centuries...