PDA

View Full Version : Whatever VHF contest is going on right now...

N8YX
06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Jump on 6M and work it. The band is crazy open to everywhere!

W4GPL
06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Funny how bands open up when people decide to use them.

KJ3N
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Whatever VHF contest is going on right now...

http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf-qso-party

N8YX
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Funny how bands open up when people decide to use them.
11M is crazy nuts as well...but very little activity on 10 at the moment. Go figure.

KJ3N
06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
11M is crazy nuts as well...but very little activity on 10 at the moment. Go figure.

"It's crazy go nuts, dahling!"

http://www.newhealthbasics.com/Art/FernandoMahvelous230x225.jpg

suddenseer
06-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Funny how bands open up when people decide to use them.This past weekend was a "smirk"contest.I logged over 100 ssb. The band was beautiful. I never understood a dead quiet band that snaps to life for a contest. 10M FM was hot as well. Canary islands, and West African coast, and Central Mex booming into the New York repeaters. The NYC users were linked to VHF/UHF bands, so they were mostly having dx qso's with walkie talkies. I look at it like working the repeater. I have been qsl'd by operators whom I hsd chatted with via repeater. I only send one back if the qso was on simplex.

WØTKX
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Finally got on six for this season, working QRP with my 2m to 5m transverter... CQ, QRP! I ran it mellow. about 3-4 watts dead carrier, 40 foot run of LMR... maybe 2 watts ERP? No "real DX", but talked to a bunch of VE's from Wiinnepeg to BC. Most of my contacts were NW of me. I may have to yoink the 857 out of the car. Heard a LOT of digital modes and CW.

Last night I hung in there on 20, and got into a "DX ragchew" with VK4KKD, the famous Kev in Oz... and stations all over NA... we couldn't hear each other all the time
stateside, so Kev was relaying comments... propagation gone wild! I dropped to 30 watts PEP and he still had me at 5x3, I disappeared at QRP. This was about 11PM MDT.

KJ3N
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Finally got on six for this season, working QRP with my 2m to 5m transverter... CQ, QRP! I ran it mellow. about 3-4 watts dead carrier, 40 foot run of LMR... maybe 2 watts ERP?

If you're losing half your power in 40 feet of LMR, it's pretty crappy LMR. I don't get even 1db of loss in a 40 foot run of RG-8U @ 50Mhz.

WØTKX
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, I have connectors and switches inline too, and they are not "N".
Closer to three watts, really, keeping the transverter cool. Wanted
to make sure I was QRP.

Still too gimpy to climb up a ladder and check it out at the antenna feedpoint.

I'll let ya know, OK? :lol:

suddenseer
06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, I have connectors and switches inline too, and they are not "N".
Closer to three watts, really, keeping the transverter cool. Wanted
to make sure I was QRP.

Still too gimpy to climb up a ladder and check it out at the antenna feedpoint.

I'll let ya know, OK? :lol:
I thought I had weird stuff going on. I went outside and discovered that I severed my ground strap to the copper rod driven in the groud with the weedwacker.

kf0rt
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
If you can cut your ground strap with a weedwhacker, you need a better ground strap. :whistle:

suddenseer
06-21-2010, 07:38 PM
If you can cut your ground strap with a weedwhacker, you need a better ground strap. :whistle:
Yeah, I know. I took a 'shortcut' and used coax copper braid. It worked for years. I am not sure when I did this. Actually when I stopped cussin, I started laughing. It is old, green with oxidation. What got me looking, I had rf in the shack. The older I get, the dumber