PDA

View Full Version : Wotcha all doing for field day?

w6tmi
06-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Go ahead, make me jealous.

For the last couple years I haven't been able to participate, as my son comes home from his monthly visit from school, and I spend the time with him.

Sometimes I'll pop up to the club station, socialize and run a station for a couple hours.

Being a condo dweller, I have sorta dreamed it would be a good opportunity to go out into the wide open, do a little camping near some big assed trees somewhere, throw up some wire and make some RF noize.

kd8dey
06-09-2010, 01:49 AM
If I take my HT with me while I stroll around Kings Island count??

N8YX
06-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Running 1B with classic Drake stuff:

http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?12071-Field-Day-10-thread

If it looks to rain all weekend I'm camping out in the regular shack.

KC2UGV
06-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm aiming to head out to one of the local "islands" here and set up for a while from my van. I was going to use the push-up 20M vertical, but alas, not finished with it yet. So, Dipole or two it is.

W3WN
06-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Yup. Just run 146.52 .55 or .58 simplex, and you'd be Class 1C (1 Transmitter Mobile)

W3WN
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm aiming to head out to one of the local "islands" here and set up for a while from my van. I was going to use the push-up 20M vertical, but alas, not finished with it yet. So, Dipole or two it is.
Head to Home De$pot or Lowe$ on or before Flag Day. You can buy a cheap steel or aluminum 15 foot or so flag pole for under $20. With flag yet.

Stick a 2x4 post into the ground. Mount flag pole to post with U bolts or pipe straps. Lay some radials at the bottom. Feed coax to base of flag pole. Voila! Near instant flag pole vertical for 20 meters.

N8YX
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/media/thhn_wire_2.jpg

+

http://www.buxcomm.com/catalog/images/lw1_small.gif

+

http://www.rogerwendell.com/images/mystation/450_ohm_ladder_line_center_insulator_04-20-2008.jpg

+

http://radio.grupohg.es/tienda/images/unadilla%20balun%20dipolo.jpg

+

http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/450_Ladderline_coil.jpg

+

http://www.tmastco.com/main/img_1201580368_14831_1201580368.jpg

=

http://www.hayseed.net/%7Ejpk5lad/Assorted%20Ham%20Stuff/antenna%20pix/Ladder-line%20center%20feed.JPG

Fits handily in two carry bags and will work on all bands 160-10 ...

W3WN
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
< snip > http://www.tmastco.com/main/img_1201580368_14831_1201580368.jpg< snip >
I picked up a bunch of those last year at the WACOM hamfest. That's my future flagpole vertical.

N4VGB
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Nuttin' Honey.

Field Day comes and Field Day goes with no notice from me.

KG4CGC
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Someone needs to upgrade.

w6tmi
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Probably not such a bad idea. Maybe give a cpl ppl a contact, and listen to the whoohaa on the repeaters. ("More coffee, we need moar coffee!")

KB3LAZ
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Someone needs to upgrade.

It would take Mac hours to lug all of that collins gear outside and set it up. He would also have a backache. :p

kf0rt
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Used to throw the 570 on a car battery here, but it's been a couple years. If I get some time off, I might throw the battery on a charger and play a bit. Probably won't be anything akin to a serious effort, but it's always fun.

kf0rt
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
It would take Mac hours to lug all of that collins gear outside and set it up. He would also have a backache. :p

Think he'd tear the tent ceiling with his cane? :rofl: :rofl:

KG4CGC
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I lag and procrastinate all the time but I always get myself going with a bottle of prune juice, RIMSHOT!
I get myself going by just doing it.

KG4CGC
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
DOUBLE RIMSHOT!

KC2UGV
06-10-2010, 10:48 AM

:lol: :lol:

KJ3N
06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Go ahead, make me jealous.

Nothing to be jealous about here. http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?12071-Field-Day-10-thread&p=231294&viewfull=1#post231294

N4VGB
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM

All I would need to do is crank the old Chevy 4WD equipped with the Icom 706MKIIG and screw on the added Shakespeare military whip sections to have a 36ft vertical and erect it via the swivel mount and lock it in place. The Icom autotuner will tune it on any band.

Then I could sit there like a total dumb arse and hammer away CQ field day on my key.:yuck:

Noooooo thanks, I'll pass. :lol:

kb1jcy
06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm going to try to host a 2D station at my QTH. Wish me luck.

W5RB
06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm going to try to host a 2D station at my QTH. Wish me luck.

Aw , hell , make it 3D , then ya get to wear the cool glasses .

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-techy/3D-glasses-404_675044c.jpg

kb1jcy
06-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Aw , hell , make it 3D , then ya get to wear the cool glasses .

3D is sooo overhyped.

suddenseer
06-19-2010, 02:03 PM
If I take my HT with me while I stroll around Kings Island count??Only if you take it up on the Effiel Tower, and do simplex. It works quite well, been there done that.

N8YX
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm working on our 1B setup at the moment - checking gear out, rounding up interconnecting cables, etc. Tomorrow I'll sort the sectional mast assemblies out and build the doublet. Then it's gather-up time for spare parts, chairs, tent/awning, etc...

KG4CGC
06-19-2010, 03:07 PM
The parties involved here are being a bit obtuse at the moment. I'm not going to be a party to dragging a 7000 watt generator up the side of a mountain. Nor do I wish to be at a location that is totally exposed to sun and rain. Taking a walk is one thing, hiking up and toting radios and power gear is a job for a mule train.
The picnic shelter at the lake last year was hot but if you don't like the heat, bring a fan. I had a cooler on wheels full of ice and drinks.

suddenseer
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
The parties involved here are being a bit obtuse at the moment. I'm not going to be a party to dragging a 7000 watt generator up the side of a mountain. Nor do I wish to be at a location that is totally exposed to sun and rain. Taking a walk is one thing, hiking up and toting radios and power gear is a job for a mule train.
The picnic shelter at the lake last year was hot but if you don't like the heat, bring a fan. I had a cooler on wheels full of ice and drinks.Well, you are the bartender. Im with you, I like what the Xenia club does. They are prepared for a food emergency. The members there cook all kinds of wonderful dishes. It is like an outdoor festival.

W4RLR
06-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Field Day minus 7, I was out at the clubhouse mowing the grass at the antenna farm. We operate as a "secondary emergency operations center", easy to do when your clubhouse is also a fire station.

While some may enjoy being eaten alive by bugs, sweating in the sun and getting chilled in the rain, we have all of the comforts of home, including satellite TV, a full kitchen with lots of grub, and air conditioning.

suddenseer
06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Field Day minus 7, I was out at the clubhouse mowing the grass at the antenna farm. We operate as a "secondary emergency operations center", easy to do when your clubhouse is also a fire station.

While some may enjoy being eaten alive by bugs, sweating in the sun and getting chilled in the rain, we have all of the comforts of home, including satellite TV, a full kitchen with lots of grub, and air conditioning.

+ 10000000

N8YX
06-19-2010, 05:48 PM
What's everyone planning on running for antennas?

I've got the 135ft doublet under construction. Managed to round up an 8ft fiberglass whip plus 3/8-24 mount and fixing plate from the garage - it'll be put on the sectional mast nearest to our tent and fed with coax. Gotta build radials for it tomorrow. We'll use the whip for 10M and the doublet everywhere else.

Also taking along supplies for a random-length wire...just in case.

KG4CGC
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Can't decide between constructing, for 20m, a doublet or a folded dipole.
I'll use some ladder line in either case.
Eh, window line.

ka8ncr
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
ka8ncr will be QRV on the late-late shift, CW de W8PI. Hopefully, I'll be heard on a 40 meter delta loop suspended via balloon. Or large inflatable pool toy.

Work me, or I'll be here.

KG4CGC
06-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Looks like this year we will visit the Professional Amateur Radio Club. These guys are so anal about radio and emcomm that it should be a real learning experience as I've always avoided such groups. I suspect that they are also White Supremacists. I will look for any outward indications that this is, or is not the case. I have my reasons to be suspicious.
Let's hope for all concerned that what I have observed OTA in the past was simply isolated incidents by individual members not representative of the club as a whole.

W5RB
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Well , plans A, B and C washed out , so the inaugural run for WE5DX will be done from the home of Jim , AD5OW , with Tom , KC5NMB , and myself , maybe 1 or 2 other drop-ins . Class 2D , mostly from Jim's TS-2000 , some from my little Radio Shack 10m rig . Mostly SSB , some digital , no CW . We'll have supper with the club group at the EOC , then return to Jim's for some serious nighttime operating . I'm looking forward to it . Gotta dig up the N5HGN CD of ham songs . I don't think Jim's heard it yet .

kf0rt
06-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Looks like this year we will visit the Professional Amateur Radio Club. These guys are so anal about radio and emcomm that it should be a real learning experience as I've always avoided such groups. I suspect that they are also White Supremacists. I will look for any outward indications that this is, or is not the case. I have my reasons to be suspicious.
Let's hope for all concerned that what I have observed OTA in the past was simply isolated incidents by individual members not representative of the club as a whole.

Grab the Nikon, Charles. ;)

KG4CGC
06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm sure they're all really nice folk.
As long as you're not Black.
Or Jewish
Or one of them there A-Rabs
Or Chink or Gook or Jap
Or a Frog, one of them fsckin' French Frogs
Or one of them what's all mixed together, what's they call them, mule, mule, mu-latt toes?

They're all really good folk. They're just skeerd see. They're just skeed and they don't want their daughters marrying into one of those swarthy dark people what might make the DNA a little stronger. Jesus was White Anglo Saxon Protestant you know. Not one of them swarthy dark skinned people. Even though he did roam the in the outdoors most of the time. He was just as white and shiny as a fresh snowflake. And he had straight hair.

Genetically speaking, there is no such thing as race. As for the camera ... they're probably already going to be uncomfortable enough, what with my swarthy dark tan. I actually came out kind of gold this year. Like I came right out of a Ray Bradbury short story. God Bless chlorine!

KG4CGC
06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
What? Am I hanging on a gibbet here?
Too much?

WØTKX
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
:lol:

How about a nice bracing bronze like Doc Savage?

http://www.thebmrant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/doc-savage.jpg

KG4CGC
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I am relieved to report that there was no talk of race nor politics. Just a bunch of White folks being human and nothing more. Just sharing radio, talking about growing up and how things change but no race talk and no politics.
This is good. This means that the crazy voices on radio and TV do not represent most of America. This means that the nutjobs are mostly given attention due to the drama factor. This means that racism for the most part is getting amplified in the media however, the group lacked diversity. That's honestly kind of understandable but regardless of the group, people keep together with what they're comfortable with. No one really goes out of their way to open up for diversity unless a situation presents itself.
This event was open to the public. The onlookers and curiosity hounds were all of the Caucasian persuasion. So, I did not get to observe what the interaction would have been had a Black man or woman asked me what they were doing throwing that rope up in the tree. Three other people did ask me that question though. Two young women in their 20's and one older guy who built runways in the jungle for the Air Force, out of ropes and vines and debarked native Southeast Asia trees.

I looked for negative sentiment but remained a neutral observer. They all acted like really nice people. I have to take another look at the sentiment that the media wants us to focus on. I'm hoping others are starting to come to the same conclusions that I am based on the real world. I hoping that people like the Rush's and the Beck's are about to have the bottom fall out of their market share and that this sends a message to their corporate masters. The message that the winds of change are now upon them.

Who knows, maybe LSD will come back in vogue.

suddenseer
06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Who knows, maybe LSD will come back in vogue.

Who said it ever left?

KG4CGC
06-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Pictures will be forthcoming. These people were really white!
I do get to hear the politics and maybe I don't get out enough but, I mainly hear (read) it on these here inturwebz. I don't know how a person of color would have been received but I'm thinking that a child of color who showed interest in radio and asked questions would have been treated like any other child.

By the way, I ate some fall off the bones ribs and kept my liquor under wraps. They may have smelled the Dewars but I sure as hell didn't act batshit crazy. I just kept a smile on my face and took pictures at appropriate times. Define appropriate? Well, I did introduce myself with my name and call. Kept smiling the whole time. Hey, smiling is better than my default look.

WØTKX
06-26-2010, 10:25 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O23cNNQsB88/SC3HNc7fYTI/AAAAAAAABug/o9gkfc_tLFI/s400/moes.gif

KG4CGC
06-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah! Just like that! Ain't that sexy?

ka8ncr
06-27-2010, 01:12 AM
ka8ncr qrv as w8pi on 7.0663