PDA

View Full Version : Sigh

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
So I was at a hamfest today (I actually bought something too but that is another story); anyway there was a table with an older gentlemen setup and on this table there were boat anchors an abundance of them. Some were nice others were not. Though they all shared one thing in common, they were doomed to live out their days in this guys basement. Unless of course there were a fella or lass to happen along with the will to take them home. You see, they suffered from a disease. Their owner was simply an idiot. Seriously, we all gathered round as the tarp came off at which point the questions started to fly. Okay, so he hadn't a clue. With this we all were fine. But when he asked where to plug in the damn mic on this receiver the crowd seemed to slink away into the mist of the morn from whence it came. And all the poor little boat anchors were damned. So one brave soul stayed the course. His only intention was to draw attention in hopes that someone with some spare cash would pick up these rigs and give them a chance. Sadly as the conversation grew long this soul had grown weary and thrown in the towel.

Okay, so you have gear and you dont know what it is but want rid of it, fine. You equate it to CB because you are grasping for straws, fine...you ask where the mic plugs into a receiver, fail. And then when someone explains to you that a receiver has no need for a mic and they tell you you're insane? Then they go on to tell you that you need a mic to transmit knowing full well it is a receiver its time to walk away with your head down low.

I was ready to give up hope and consed to the OF's that say all is lost until an eight year old walked up to me and started asking about the rigs in question. An 8 year old that could very well grasp the difference between a receiver and a transmitter. Said 8 year old ended up leaving with the books I scored today but it was an investment worth making. Not long after that I saw the kid leaving with a tech book, a soldering iron, and a small kit too.

Tell me how it is that an 8 year old can understand the difference between a transmitter and receiver but a man of the same vintage as the radios he was selling hadn't a clue? I mean come on..this guy had to have a radio to listen to broadcast at some point in his life. I hear the stories everyday, there was radio before tv.

KJ3N
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a T-shirt that says...

"I'd like to help you..... but I just can't fix STUPID!"

... on the back. I think that pretty much sums up this case of dumb-ass.

N8YX
06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
In the case of the rig you were referring to, Travis, that question was legitimate.

An HQ-150TR could actually transmit - on 11M via crystal control; AM only. It was built as an entry-level unit with which to lure prospective enthusiasts into the radio hobby...first through CB then (hopefully) via amateur radio.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
In the case of the rig you were referring to, Travis, that question was legitimate.

An HQ-150TR could actually transmit - on 11M via crystal control; AM only. It was built as an entry-level unit with which to lure prospective enthusiasts into the radio hobby...first through CB then (hopefully) via amateur radio.

Yes but it is not the only receiver that he was looking to plug a mic into. You missed him asking what the speaker was. :P

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a T-shirt that says...

"I'd like to help you..... but I just can't fix STUPID!"

... on the back. I think that pretty much sums up this case of dumb-ass.

I've seen one like that.

KJ3N
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I've seen one like that.

Yes, but have you seen the one that goes:

"If I got smart with you, how would you know?"

:rofl:

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I thought it said 105TR...which would lead one to believe that TR is for transmit but what is curious is that it doesnt say TX instead. Sure is dinky for a Hammarlund. xD

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Side note..this forum hates me. Damn smiley things wont work by typing them. Must be different nowadays. Too much nicotine and caffeine. Cant sleep or shut up.

N8YX
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes but it is not the only receiver that he was looking to plug a mic into. You missed him asking what the speaker was. :P
Genius...

That's probably why so many otherwise decent rigs end up on Fleabay or similar sites advertised as DOA...after someone has gotten their fingers into them and attempted to "fix" something which wasn't broken in the first place. :wall:

N8YX
06-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I thought it said 105TR...which would lead one to believe that TR is for transmit but what is curious is that it doesnt say TX instead. Sure is dinky for a Hammarlund. xD
TR = Transmit/Receive. ;)

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
TR = Transmit/Receive. ;)

Doh..now I ish the idiot. Lmao. Why didnt I think of that. I have seen TR switches.

N8YX
06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Trying to follow various manufacturers' model nomenclature is often an exercise in futility. Some are rather obvious. Some...are as clear as mud.

W3WN
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Trying to follow various manufacturers' model nomenclature is often an exercise in futility. Some are rather obvious. Some...are as clear as mud.

Mud is not a subject I want to deal with anymore today. Not after this morning's monsoon.