PDA

View Full Version : Woot I got me a boat anchor

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah!!! I finally spent a few bucks of my money and got a boat anchor. My day felt like a CCR song (Who will stop the rain). Then something wonderful happened, the sun came out and before I knew it I was "stepping into the twilight zone" (Golden Earring). What exactly did I find after the rain stopped? Well I found an old HQ-129X (nothing uber special but it is in damn good shape. It was aligned and recaped about 8 months ago and the outside looks new. There is a wee bit of tarnish on the inside but this thing is almost as old as my grandpa so overall it is in great shape. All controls are smooth, the lights are bright, and the S-Meter works.

Why am I in the twilight zone? Well I am listing to some odd amateur radio news but it is more like a story about a guy that had an operation and woke up in the future where radio was illegal or something like that. Im not entierly sure what frequency I am on, lmao....band spread says 7.28 and the but the main tuning dial says about 7.45. Give me a break it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a boat anchor.:lol: (At least I know what band Im using. :P)

Morel of the story, I;m happy.:-D

...now for a pair of good headphones cuz these ones suck and I don't like using a speaker. (Now this dude is ranting about facebook and walmart.

Anyway I think it was worth the 150$ I paid for it. :) I have looked on AMfone.net and am seeing between 200-350$ for them. The important part is that I am happy and already have 3 hours of time listening to it.

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Cngrats!!! The 129X is one of my favorites for listening to amateur AM. Not very selective but that's one of the reasons why AM sounds so good on it.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Cngrats!!! The 129X is one of my favorites for listening to amateur AM. Not very selective but that's one of the reasons why AM sounds so good on it.

It is a touchy little bugger though. CW sounds fantastic on it IMO. Though for AM I should be able to get a better test drive later on tonight or early in the AM. Not much on now other than a few hams on 40 and a few broadcasts. Though as I said there is one hell of a goofy news program on.

KG4CGC
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/48zquswgi9.gif

N8YX
06-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Congrats!

This is the '215 I told you about today, BTW:

http://swap.qth.com/segamida/830942.jpg

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Congrats!

This is the '215 I told you about today, BTW:

http://swap.qth.com/segamida/830942.jpg

That is a unique looking bugger.

Heh after a few hours at the controls I got my sea legs back and am having no problem pulling in multiple stations. Though I think I need to find a good pair of high impedance headphones cuz the ones I have for my newer gear sound just awful with this receiver and my older ones which are amplified are a bit better but damn they blow my ear drums out even with the AF gain low and the volume setting on one on the headphones.

KG4CGC
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Get creative with the outboard audio. It can be done. It can be done.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I'll be damned, I am peaking under the hood of this thing and it says made in NY, U.S.A.

Hum..manual says 11 tubes but I count 10..pesky bugger is hiding from me.

N9FE
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Real radios glow in the dark.

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I'll be damned, I am peaking under the hood of this thing and it says made in NY, U.S.A.

Hum..manual says 11 tubes but I count 10..pesky bugger is hiding from me.

??? All of 'em are in plain sight, none are hidden.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
??? All of 'em are in plain sight, none are hidden.

No..But there is one in particular that I can seem to hunt down at all. I know it is there, I have nifty paper that shows me the location of all of the tubes visible or not. I suppose that just because I can seem them on the paper doesnt mean they are not hidden well inside. :P Though if I count all of the cylindrical objects inside as tubes there are many.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Real radios glow in the dark.

Lol, you would think that the light from the little meter lamps were rather large tubes with the light that the dial produces.

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Lol, you would think that the light from the little meter lamps were rather large tubes with the light that the dial produces.

The 129X doesn't glow very well, metal tubes don't put out any light.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
The 129X doesn't glow very well, metal tubes don't put out any light.

There be glass in that there box too. Either way it is a big black metal box with only slots on the side so not much light would seep through. However you should see the light that comes off the dial, Im telling you it is blinding. The S-Meter gives off a crisp and bright orange glow. Small but stands out in the dark. Now my 4 572B's give off plenty of light. ~^

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
There be glass in that there box too. Either way it is a big black metal box with only slots on the side so not much light would seep through. However you should see the light that comes off the dial, Im telling you it is blinding. The S-Meter gives off a crisp and bright orange glow. Small but stands out in the dark. Now my 4 572B's give off plenty of light. ~^

The only glass tube in it when new was the rectifier, all others were metal cased tubes.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
The only glass tube in it when new was the rectifier, all others were metal cased tubes.
One is more than none:P. One + 3 light bulbs..at least I think there are three bulbs but maybe it is only two IDK Im not looking at it at the moment..lemme see. Three light bulbs and 4 glass tubes. One big one in junction with two little ones and a medium on in the corner. Dont ask what they are, I havent a clue. Still seems to work well. Should this be a concern? Though at a glance the one looks to be in the 6kd6 family..something similar..just going by shape. I can get a better look at them tomorrow.

N9FE
06-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Did'nt know that. Still good that you got some vintage gear. You'll like it.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Did'nt know that. Still good that you got some vintage gear. You'll like it.

I do so far. Time to find me a "matching speaker". Not that I have seen many HQ speakers with model numbers on them...Prolly still use my headphones but it will look nice beside it.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 10:01 PM
This thing should be armorall safe right? Outside obviously..I know my ProIII isnt fond of it but my amp shines up nice with it.

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
One is more than none:P. One + 3 light bulbs..at least I think there are three bulbs but maybe it is only two IDK Im not looking at it at the moment..lemme see. Three light bulbs and 4 glass tubes. One big one in junction with two little ones and a medium on in the corner. Dont ask what they are, I havent a clue. Still seems to work well. Should this be a concern? Though at a glance the one looks to be in the 6kd6 family..something similar..just going by shape. I can get a better look at them tomorrow.

I don't recall offhand how many and what type lamps are in the 129X? If possible you might want to look at changing those lamps to LED types. A lot of boatanchor guys switch to the LED bulbs to cut down on heat damage to the dials and bezels.

KG4CGC
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
DO NOT put ArmorAll on heavy radio gear or objects that you do not wish to slip out of your hands!
Polish with Goo Gone and wipe down with Windex. Also do not use Goo Gone on the face or any lettering.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
DO NOT put ArmorAll on heavy radio gear or objects that you do not wish to slip out of your hands!
Polish with Goo Gone and wipe down with Windex. Also do not use Goo Gone on the face or any lettering.

Meant the case..the face is clean as a whistle. Just wanted to shine it up a bit. Thank you for the suggestion..Goo Gone as in the stuff that gets rid of the sticky stuff left from price tags or the hand cleaning stuff?

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't recall offhand how many and what type lamps are in the 129X? If possible you might want to look at changing those lamps to LED types. A lot of boatanchor guys switch to the LED bulbs to cut down on heat damage to the dials and bezels.

Yeah my grandpa suggested that I do the same.

I take it since you didnt respond to the glass tubes that this is not an issue? I have heard of many people subbing tubes that are "acceptable". God..I feel like such a noob atm.

KG4CGC
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
gets rid of the sticky stuff left from price tags That one.

KB3LAZ
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
That one.

K thank you.

N4VGB
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah my grandpa suggested that I do the same.

I take it since you didnt respond to the glass tubes that this is not an issue? I have heard of many people subbing tubes that are "acceptable". God..I feel like such a noob atm.

No problem with the glass versions of the old metal cased tubes. There are specific applications where the glass versions can cause problems but not in the 129X.

KG4CGC
06-06-2010, 11:38 PM
K thank you.
YW, and the reason I say wipe it down afterwards with Windex is obvious.

N9FE
06-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Super Clean. Comes in purple bottle. NAPA has it up here. Exelent Cleaner. You have to delute it though.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
No problem with the glass versions of the old metal cased tubes. There are specific applications where the glass versions can cause problems but not in the 129X.

Ty, I figured as much but wanted to make sure. The tube sets for the 129x seem to be easy to get and are not expensive at this point. So that is a good thing. On top of that I have a few friends with tube museums, lol.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Now I need to find a good deal on a Transmitter. Though I still want to get an HQ-170AC and Johnson Ranger setup at some point.

W3WN
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Meant the case..the face is clean as a whistle. Just wanted to shine it up a bit. Thank you for the suggestion..Goo Gone as in the stuff that gets rid of the sticky stuff left from price tags or the hand cleaning stuff?
There was a gentleman down the row from the WASH setup who had some old Hammarlunds for sale, all around $25. Face plates of the receivers were pretty rusty, to the point that a proper restoration would probably involve stripping the paint, sanding, repainting & relettering.

Did you get your receiver from him?

I ended up breaking even (well, not counting gas, but the car was due for a fillup anyway), so my hopes of earning a few bucks towards a purchase were for naught. Older gentleman next to me had some CD-45 rotors for sale for $50... and he sold them, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the shekels, not with our trip to Dallas in a few weeks.

I still have to finish the half-assed shack remodel... I probably should tear down most of it and start over, the shelving didn't work out the way I'd hoped... but when that is said & done, not only will I have a working spot for my Corsair again, but I'll be able to work on the Swan 3Drifty I was given a few years ago.

After that, I can start looking for another HT-37. That's the one thing I really regret losing from the shack when we had to leave the old house. Had a complete setup... HT-37, SX-111 receiver, HT-41 linear, and an HA-9 TO keyer. With a near-mint S-108 on the side. Probably never see a setup like that again, as rare as the linears are.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
There was a gentleman down the row from the WASH setup who had some old Hammarlunds for sale, all around $25. Face plates of the receivers were pretty rusty, to the point that a proper restoration would probably involve stripping the paint, sanding, repainting & relettering.

Did you get your receiver from him?

I ended up breaking even (well, not counting gas, but the car was due for a fillup anyway), so my hopes of earning a few bucks towards a purchase were for naught. Older gentleman next to me had some CD-45 rotors for sale for $50... and he sold them, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the shekels, not with our trip to Dallas in a few weeks.

I still have to finish the half-assed shack remodel... I probably should tear down most of it and start over, the shelving didn't work out the way I'd hoped... but when that is said & done, not only will I have a working spot for my Corsair again, but I'll be able to work on the Swan 3Drifty I was given a few years ago.

After that, I can start looking for another HT-37. That's the one thing I really regret losing from the shack when we had to leave the old house. Had a complete setup... HT-37, SX-111 receiver, HT-41 linear, and an HA-9 TO keyer. With a near-mint S-108 on the side. Probably never see a setup like that again, as rare as the linears are.

No, mine was clean, recapped, aligned, and had a few tubes replaced. I just wanna shine it up a bit.

N4VGB
06-08-2010, 01:32 AM

I've got the HT-37, SX-111, external speaker (can't remember the number), TO keyer and a matching mic that is Electrovoice but branded as Hallicrafters. Bought the outfit from an old retired gent who had bought it all brand new and it had spent it's entire life sitting inside an old rolltop desk that he never opened except to operate, so it was very clean inside and out.

I had a shot at buying a HT-41 amp some years ago but even then the price was rather high and I passed on it.

N8YX
06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
If I could have but one 'anchor (all tube) station it would be either of the following:

SR-2000/PS/VFO/Keyer

KWM-2A/312B5 - 75S3A (or C)/32S3A/312B4/62S1, plus a 516F2 for each position

And the Eldico "twins" wouldn't be a bad choice either.

N4VGB
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
If I could have but one 'anchor (all tube) station it would be either of the following:

SR-2000/PS/VFO/Keyer

KWM-2A/312B5 - 75S3A (or C)/32S3A/312B4/62S1, plus a 516F2 for each position

And the Eldico "twins" wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I dunno exactly why but neither the KWM-2 or Eldico twins have ever appealed to me. For many years in the past at 'fests around here those Samsonite cased KWM-2As would show up with many accessories, even the CP-1 crystal pack, for $375-$450. Many of them appeared to be NOS 'nam surplus (AN/FRC-93 in military nomenclature) that was never used? At the last Stone Mtn. Hamfest in Lawrenceville GA I believe there were 2 sets of Eldico twins for sale very cheap, neither tempted me in the least.

The behemoth SR-2000 would be a neat item to own but I doubt I'd be willing to pay the going rate for one.

w2amr
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah!!! I finally spent a few bucks of my money and got a boat anchor. My day felt like a CCR song (Who will stop the rain). Then something wonderful happened, the sun came out and before I knew it I was "stepping into the twilight zone" (Golden Earring). What exactly did I find after the rain stopped? Well I found an old HQ-129X (nothing uber special but it is in damn good shape. It was aligned and recaped about 8 months ago and the outside looks new. There is a wee bit of tarnish on the inside but this thing is almost as old as my grandpa so overall it is in great shape. All controls are smooth, the lights are bright, and the S-Meter works.

Why am I in the twilight zone? Well I am listing to some odd amateur radio news but it is more like a story about a guy that had an operation and woke up in the future where radio was illegal or something like that. Im not entierly sure what frequency I am on, lmao....band spread says 7.28 and the but the main tuning dial says about 7.45. Give me a break it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a boat anchor.:lol: (At least I know what band Im using. :P)

Morel of the story, I;m happy.:-D

...now for a pair of good headphones cuz these ones suck and I don't like using a speaker. (Now this dude is ranting about facebook and walmart.

Anyway I think it was worth the 150$ I paid for it. :) I have looked on AMfone.net and am seeing between 200-350$ for them. The important part is that I am happy and already have 3 hours of time listening to it.Good find young feller, congrats. :agree::clap:

W1GUH
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Congrats! A good ol' BA receiver is a real joy to play with. I'm in the market for a "special" one myself. What I want to find is a BA receiver that also does time-shifiting, so that when I fire 'er up I can here SW broadcasts from the 50's and 60's. Radio Moscow, BBC (I know they're still there -- but, OTOH, I can see BBC news on the telly, so...), VOA, Radio Free Europe -- all those great stations from yesteryear!

In your original post you mentioned something about the bandsperad and the main tuning reading differently. I'd guess that by now you've figured that out and how to calibrate the bandspread?

Enjoy! And in you quest for a transmitter, the Ranger is pretty much the gold standard for single 6146 plate modulated rigs, but its price reflects that, so......in the same power class (and desirability, too):

Eico 720/730 + VFO. The '730 uses EL34's & can produce outstanding distortion-free audio with a very simple mod -- take out the clipper and bridge the low-pass filter. Easy!!!!! Then, you can either play with coupling/bypass cap values to tune it to your voice or, easier, use an equalizer.

Multi-Elmac AF-67 (Sigh, I'll get mine on the air someday!) Single plate-modulated 6146, covers 160. PS can be a hassle -- but the '67 runs about $100 (that's what I paid last year. and eBay prices are about that), so it's a real bargain.

Globe Scout Well, I know, it uses Heising modulation (http://www.w8ji.com/Heising%20modulation.htm)-- but it can sound good. And won't cost a much as a Ranger.

In the higher power realm, a good ol' scratchy Apache will work very, very well, and I understand that they're pretty easy, too, to fix up the audio. Uses the same modulation tubes as the '730. Apaches are workhorses that'll give you great service -- and I'd guess there are still bargains out there. And they look so impressive!

The other "Star" is the Viking Valiant, but those are commanding the same premium prices as Rangers.

Happy Hunting! Keep doing the hamfest circuit ( I believe you're in the NE)...not only will you find that perfect BA, eventually (sometimes takes patience), but you'll have a great time seeing the countryside and meeting other hams. Enjoy!

And let me know if you figrure out if a '129 can time-shift!!!

W3WN
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I've got the HT-37, SX-111, external speaker (can't remember the number), TO keyer and a matching mic that is Electrovoice but branded as Hallicrafters. Bought the outfit from an old retired gent who had bought it all brand new and it had spent it's entire life sitting inside an old rolltop desk that he never opened except to operate, so it was very clean inside and out.

I had a shot at buying a HT-41 amp some years ago but even then the price was rather high and I passed on it.
Oh, forgot about the speaker. Had two of them, sold the older (larger) one off and kept the smaller one with the SX-111.

My HT-41 had been modified by the previous owner (K3MD) to replace the "stock" finals with 572B's. The original finals are made out of Unobtanium or close to it. IIRC it was basically a socket rewiring and some other minor changes.

The day may come when I get my hands on a working station again... specifically another '37 and an SX-101 or SX-111. Won't be the same, of course.

Some days, you really can't go home again. * sigh *

N4VGB
06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
My HT-41 had been modified by the previous owner (K3MD) to replace the "stock" finals with 572B's. The original finals are made out of Unobtanium or close to it. IIRC it was basically a socket rewiring and some other minor changes.

Yessir those 7094s used in the HT-41 might as well be made of pure gold these days. Almost impossible to find and expensive if found. I see a few dealers listing them at $250-$300 each. :yuck:

KB3LAZ
06-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Congrats! A good ol' BA receiver is a real joy to play with. I'm in the market for a "special" one myself. What I want to find is a BA receiver that also does time-shifiting, so that when I fire 'er up I can here SW broadcasts from the 50's and 60's. Radio Moscow, BBC (I know they're still there -- but, OTOH, I can see BBC news on the telly, so...), VOA, Radio Free Europe -- all those great stations from yesteryear!

In your original post you mentioned something about the bandsperad and the main tuning reading differently. I'd guess that by now you've figured that out and how to calibrate the bandspread?

Enjoy! And in you quest for a transmitter, the Ranger is pretty much the gold standard for single 6146 plate modulated rigs, but its price reflects that, so......in the same power class (and desirability, too):

Eico 720/730 + VFO. The '730 uses EL34's & can produce outstanding distortion-free audio with a very simple mod -- take out the clipper and bridge the low-pass filter. Easy!!!!! Then, you can either play with coupling/bypass cap values to tune it to your voice or, easier, use an equalizer.

Multi-Elmac AF-67 (Sigh, I'll get mine on the air someday!) Single plate-modulated 6146, covers 160. PS can be a hassle -- but the '67 runs about $100 (that's what I paid last year. and eBay prices are about that), so it's a real bargain.

Globe Scout Well, I know, it uses Heising modulation (http://www.w8ji.com/Heising%20modulation.htm)-- but it can sound good. And won't cost a much as a Ranger.

In the higher power realm, a good ol' scratchy Apache will work very, very well, and I understand that they're pretty easy, too, to fix up the audio. Uses the same modulation tubes as the '730. Apaches are workhorses that'll give you great service -- and I'd guess there are still bargains out there. And they look so impressive!

The other "Star" is the Viking Valiant, but those are commanding the same premium prices as Rangers.

Happy Hunting! Keep doing the hamfest circuit ( I believe you're in the NE)...not only will you find that perfect BA, eventually (sometimes takes patience), but you'll have a great time seeing the countryside and meeting other hams. Enjoy!

And let me know if you figrure out if a '129 can time-shift!!!

Yes I did figure out how to calibrate it. :) It was rather simple actually after reading the manual..but I was too impatient at the time, I just wanted to see if I could hear anything out of that box from yesteryear as it is put.

As for the Eico I have one..it is not in my shack but rather at a local hams house. An older fella that says I can have it. I know he is unsure if it still works as it has sat in his closet with all of his other vintage gear for half a decade or so. I have been saying Id take it home for awhile now. But every time I get out that way it is more of a bullshoot. We never seem to get around to digging through "the junk closet" as he calls it. It is a spare bedroom full of BA's and BA parts.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well.

I'm not sure why I have an obsession with some of the gear that I do as I have never used a lot of it...kinda like with this HQ-129x. It is not a model that I really even knew about but it stood out when I saw it. I flip flopped between that an HQ-145, HQ-110, and a few other models all day. I suppose that the price, the fact it was reccaped, aligned, had all documentation and actually looked like a BA had a lot to do with it. But at the end of the day it was still there (as were the others) and a little voice inside my head said talk to him and buy it. Part of what I liked was the fact that the man selling it actually used it himself on a regular basis and knew a lot about it. He also took the time to asses my needs before and seemed to take an interest in me rather than just saying...you wanna get it off my table.

So far I have had nothing but fun using the 129. Little things that I have noticed is that I dont like to use the Crystal selectivity in any position other than off or 1 with am and 5 for cw. I dont much care for the Limiter either...its like using noise blanker and makes everything muffled..IMO. The beat Oscillator on the other hand is a wonderful tool! When listening to someone transmit code it sounds like code rather than a high pitch screech. Sounds more like the telegraphy that one would hear in a western movie.

It is hard to believe that there is so much to continue to learn from a receiver with only a dozen knobs and no menus.

I really need to get off my but and get batteries for my camera so that I can post a pic of it. It looks good on my desk (out of place but good, lol). Hard to believe that it is like 65 years old with as good of shape it is in. The trick is going to be keeping it that way for another 65 years. :D

KB3LAZ
06-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Good find young feller, congrats. :agree::clap:

Thank you :)

W1GUH
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes I did figure out how to calibrate it. :) It was rather simple actually after reading the manual..but I was too impatient at the time, I just wanted to see if I could hear anything out of that box from yesteryear as it is put.

As for the Eico I have one..it is not in my shack but rather at a local hams house. An older fella that says I can have it. I know he is unsure if it still works as it has sat in his closet with all of his other vintage gear for half a decade or so. I have been saying Id take it home for awhile now. But every time I get out that way it is more of a bullshoot. We never seem to get around to digging through "the junk closet" as he calls it. It is a spare bedroom full of BA's and BA parts.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well.

I'm not sure why I have an obsession with some of the gear that I do as I have never used a lot of it...kinda like with this HQ-129x. It is not a model that I really even knew about but it stood out when I saw it. I flip flopped between that an HQ-145, HQ-110, and a few other models all day. I suppose that the price, the fact it was reccaped, aligned, had all documentation and actually looked like a BA had a lot to do with it. But at the end of the day it was still there (as were the others) and a little voice inside my head said talk to him and buy it. Part of what I liked was the fact that the man selling it actually used it himself on a regular basis and knew a lot about it. He also took the time to asses my needs before and seemed to take an interest in me rather than just saying...you wanna get it off my table.

So far I have had nothing but fun using the 129. Little things that I have noticed is that I dont like to use the Crystal selectivity in any position other than off or 1 with am and 5 for cw. I dont much care for the Limiter either...its like using noise blanker and makes everything muffled..IMO. The beat Oscillator on the other hand is a wonderful tool! When listening to someone transmit code it sounds like code rather than a high pitch screech. Sounds more like the telegraphy that one would hear in a western movie.

It is hard to believe that there is so much to continue to learn from a receiver with only a dozen knobs and no menus.

I really need to get off my but and get batteries for my camera so that I can post a pic of it. It looks good on my desk (out of place but good, lol). Hard to believe that it is like 65 years old with as good of shape it is in. The trick is going to be keeping it that way for another 65 years. :D

Re: The Eico with your name on it. If that's with the '730, I say, grab it while you can. That's a really great vintage AM station. If it doesn't have a VFO, that's no big deal; they're easy to find. Personally I avoid Heathkit VF-1's and HG-10's because they need an external PS and their output is on the low side. OTOH, others love them, so...you pays your money and takes your choice! The only "quirk" with the '720 is it's standy/transmit switching. It works OK, but doesn't lend itself to easy mods for PTT (Press to talk). But that's minor issue & doesn't detract from the great signal it puts out.

Love your words about buying a BA from someone who's used it a lot. That's pretty much my experience buying at hamfests.

"Little things that I have noticed is that I dont like..."

Ahhh...I hear that. I'm not a personal fan of crystal fiters in that vintage receiver, either, but then, the filter was there mostly for CW and in that application they can be very useful. If that model has an xtal phasing control it can be used to both peak the desired signal or null an interfering signal. Takes a bit of practice but it can be very effective. I'm sure google will turn up words about that.

"It is hard to believe that there is so much to continue to learn from a receiver with only a dozen knobs and no menus. "

Yea, but hams are nothing but "knob twiddlers" at heart -- back in the day we'd judge a piece of equipment by the number of knobs! And...those knobs give you a better feel for what's going on inside the cabinet. Moreso than a menu can. Have FUN!!!!!!!!

And, please, please, puh-leez get of you butt and post some pix. That sounds like a real beauty!

Enjoy!!!!!

:agree::cheers: