PDA

View Full Version : E4X

W3WN
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Finally had a little time to sit down in front of the rig last night (between overtime, extras shifts, dress rehersals, and play performances I've had NO appreciable spare time in the evenings, and danged if work didn't keep me busy all day). Discovered I'd accidentally mucked up the notch filter settings as well, which explains why I couldn't hear much when I only had a spare minute or 3... still learning the new-to-me rig. :wall:

Heard E4X loud and clear coming in on 40 CW. Of course, then the tuner-uppers and UP senders and all the rest found them too :wall:, but I could filter them out. But, sad to say, 45 minutes of a hot pile-up, no soap, no love. And then they went QRT. :irked:

Went up to 30, started listening around. Sunnova Beach, there's a weak CQ NA signal from E4X!! Got him on the 2nd call! :-D

Then I look at the cluster. Right about the time I worked him, E4X was spotted, with a few wags wondering if he was, ah, kosher. Checked the on-line log this morning, and there I am. :-D:-D:-D

One more closer to 300 entities worked and confirmed! :evil:

...of course, nothing around here goes smoothly. The fan in the shack computer's PS decided to go kaput last night, which takes my log out of commission until I get that replaced. Figures...

KG4CGC
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Care for a bracer? A little stabilizer?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/dinkdink.jpg

KJ3N
06-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Well done, Ron.

So far I've got them on 20m and 17m phone. Don't think I'll be working them on any other band at this point.

N8YX
06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
If they fire up on Da 'Bowl I'll work 'em. :snicker:

W3WN
06-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Well done, Ron.

So far I've got them on 20m and 17m phone. Don't think I'll be working them on any other band at this point.

Thanks!

I was resigned to missing them. I actually had to come home a little early the other day, saw spots for them on 17 but couldn't hear anything. Thought it was the antenna, but I now know it was the notch filter muck-up... no one's fault but my own.

They're supposed to be on through tomorrow, but between Jessie's play (she played The Professor in The Wizard of Oz... yes I have video that I have to convert...), tonight's ball game (which we're blowing off) and getting ready for Breezeshooter's tomorrow, I just didn't think I was going to have another chance. So when the proverbial window of opportunity came along last night, I grabbed it.

Of course, this also means my newsletter is now behind schedule, but 'twas worth it!

W3WN
06-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Care for a bracer? A little stabilizer?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/dinkdink.jpg
Umm, not on an empty stomach, I have to drive in the morning. Let me get back to you after dinner.

KG4CGC
06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Umm, not on an empty stomach, I have to drive in the morning. Let me get back to you after dinner.

It's OK Mon! You're on Island Time!

W3WN
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
It's OK Mon! You're on Island Time!
After the morning monsoon, I don't care what it is, as long as it's DRY.

KJ3N
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
After the morning monsoon, I don't care what it is, as long as it's DRY.

Still waiting for something more than a spritz here. I keep watching the radar and seeing things fall apart before they get here.

Oh, BTW, worked the subject of this thread on 15m RTTY for a total of 3 bands. :giggity:

W3WN
06-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Still waiting for something more than a spritz here. I keep watching the radar and seeing things fall apart before they get here.

Oh, BTW, worked the subject of this thread on 15m RTTY for a total of 3 bands. :giggity:

Enjoy the respite. Butler PA area had a tornado warning most of the morning, and it was monsoon conditions for quite awhile. Finally started clearing up around 9:30, and we had 70 degrees and sunshine by noon, but the damage to the Breezeshooter's Hamfest was done.