PDA

View Full Version : ARRL "Please Renew" Books?

KE7DKN
06-02-2010, 03:58 PM
What is the ARRL currently offering as a renewal incentive, book-wise?

It's getting close to my yearly dues payment and I might've already received all the "free" books.

kf0rt
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
If they've been giving out renewal freebies, I've been missing out.

N8YX
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Dear Newington,

I'll gladly renew - sans books or other freebies - if you quit pushing that d@mned EmComm/WinLink agenda of yours down our collective throats.

But absolutely not until.

N4VGB
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't know on this one. Haven't been a member for more years than I can remember?

W4GPL
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
A couple of weeks before your subscription is up, you should get a post card with book offers for renewing. I've been getting a free repeater directory for years by using this method. :)

W4RLR
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
A couple of weeks before your subscription is up, you should get a post card with book offers for renewing. I've been getting a free repeater directory for years by using this method. :)Ditto.

W5RB
06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
They promised me an antenna book when I renewed in March. Still waiting . It's usually a choice of about 4 books , and I usually get the antenna one , and wind up losing it , or giving it away . Used to enjoy the emails with pix of the little cutie that was membership chairman a couple years ago . I hear she moved to Montana or something .

KJ3N
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
ARRL? Member? :rofl: :rofl:

Surely, you jest. :wtf: :hand:

"... and don't call me Shirley." :naughty:

W3WN
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
They promised me an antenna book when I renewed in March. Still waiting . It's usually a choice of about 4 books , and I usually get the antenna one , and wind up losing it , or giving it away . Used to enjoy the emails with pix of the little cutie that was membership chairman a couple years ago . I hear she moved to Montana or something .
Contact League Hq and ask them what the status of the book is. It usually takes a few weeks, but 2 months is pushing it. Oh, and CC your Division Director on it.

I've had that happen with some of the promotions in the past. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. But a reminder has always gotten it for me, usually with an apology.

Oh speaking of that "little cutie"...

W4GPL
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
ARRL? Member? :rofl: :rofl:

Surely, you jest. :wtf: :hand:

"... and don't call me Shirley." :naughty:Eh.. Every time I get the renewal notice, I'm conflicted as to whether or not I'm going to renew. I usually do because QST is something to flip thru on the train or between classes. That's not an endorsement of the content or even their "amateur radio advocacy", but there aren't many periodicals I actually care to read. :)

Advertisements for radios I can't afford and have no room to operate.. :drool:

kd8dey
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I've never been an ARRL member But every few months I get the invitation / book offer thingy. I already have the only 2 books that I was interested in out of the 4 books they offer as incentive.

W5RB
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Contact League Hq and ask them what the status of the book is. It usually takes a few weeks, but 2 months is pushing it. Oh, and CC your Division Director on it.

I've had that happen with some of the promotions in the past. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. But a reminder has always gotten it for me, usually with an apology.

Oh speaking of that "little cutie"...

Yeah , they said it'd be 6 weeks or so. I'll ask when I send my VE order up this week . If memory serves , that is Katie Breen , heard she married an ARRL official from out west and moved off to the boonies .

KJ3N
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Eh.. Every time I get the renewal notice, I'm conflicted as to whether or not I'm going to renew.

Never been an issue for me. Never been a member; never wanted to. :bfd:

n6hcm
06-03-2010, 04:24 AM
weird: usually i let my membership lapse every year (not because i'm fishing for a free book, but because this isn't the most important thing on my plate) ... the "reminders" i would get before expiration didn't have the incentive, and the reminders afterwards did ... until this year.

now the first reminder included the book offer. extra q&a, newest repeater directory (isn't this stuff stale as soon as its printed?), an antenna book of some sort, maybe one or two others.

W3WN
06-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah , they said it'd be 6 weeks or so. I'll ask when I send my VE order up this week . If memory serves , that is Katie Breen , heard she married an ARRL official from out west and moved off to the boonies .Yes, that's Katie. I met her at the Skyview RS Hamfest a couple of years back, just before she left.

Frankly, I heard a lot of high praise about her from many League officials, but something in her attitude just rubbed me the wrong way. That aside, she did do a lot of good for the League, but despite promises to the contrary, haven't heard word one about or from her since she got hitched.

W3WN
06-03-2010, 09:19 AM
weird: usually i let my membership lapse every year (not because i'm fishing for a free book, but because this isn't the most important thing on my plate) ... the "reminders" i would get before expiration didn't have the incentive, and the reminders afterwards did ... until this year.

now the first reminder included the book offer. extra q&a, newest repeater directory (isn't this stuff stale as soon as its printed?), an antenna book of some sort, maybe one or two others.Usually the reminder notice about a month before included the book offer. And if you note the code on the bottom of the letter, you can use that on-line to get the same offer.

Advantage of being a master procrastinator, I get those notices almost every year!

I think I have all the books offered at present, but I'll have to check.

W4GPL
06-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd rather they just reduce the the membership price $12, but hey.. books are nice too.

KE7DKN
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Sooooo... same stuff as usual. I'll probably just hold off on renewing and get an incentive book when they're offered. Even if it's an extra copy, I can always give it away (like W5RB).

I find that the ARRL membership is worth it for the QSL service alone. The QST magazine is a nice "light reading" bonus.
...Not that it matters.

n6hcm
06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Usually the reminder notice about a month before included the book offer. And if you note the code on the bottom of the letter, you can use that on-line to get the same offer.

Advantage of being a master procrastinator, I get those notices almost every year!

I think I have all the books offered at present, but I'll have to check.

exactly ... this time it was offer code R3 ... and here are the books offered:

ARRL Repeater Directory 10/11 Pocket-sized
ARRL EMCOMM Handbook
Wire Antenna Classics
ARRL Tech Q & A - 5th Ed.
ARRL General Q & A
ARRL Extra Q & A

WN9HJW
06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Deleted

W3WN
06-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I don't try to milk the ARRL for every last cent. I renew on time.

So basically I am paying for your "free" books. A nice TNX would be appropriate!
TNX. Nicely.

KE7DKN
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't try to milk the ARRL for every last cent. I renew on time.

So basically I am paying for your "free" books. A nice TNX would be appropriate!

You mean the ≪ $0.001 your dues are paying towards the printing and delivery of the books? Thanks for nothing. :p

N7RJD
06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
A couple of weeks before your subscription is up, you should get a post card with book offers for renewing. I've been getting a free repeater directory for years by using this method. :)

I probably have a stack of these postcards waiting for me at home. Oh well, I think I'm expired right now but may be on a grace period because I can log into the website but they don't show when my expire date is.
Almost as bad as the website I use to pay my homeowners insurance that came up with a new thing where you have to enter a zipcode to enter the site. I enter my zipcode and it tells me I am outside their service area and after all
of my money they have gladly been accepting too.

W5RB
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Put in 20252 and see what they say .

:whistle: