PDA

View Full Version : The QSL Automation Project

W3WN
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Considering some of the comments in the thread of my quest for a 2009 QRZ? CD-ROM, maybe it would help if I explained what I was trying to do.

Let's be honest. When you work a lot of stations, especially in a contest environment, QSL'ing can be a chore. That it is (IMHO) an important and neccesary one is beside the point... it still has to be done.

For many years, I've been trying to automate the process. I know what I want to do, but for various reasons, I haven't been able to do it all (sometimes I wanted technology that didn't exist, sometimes I didn't have the time or shekels to invest) -- until now.

I have my QSL generation down pat; oh, some things to iron out yet, but a mail merge using an Excel spreadsheet or dBase .DBF database file to a QSL card format done in Microsoft Publisher has gotten me pretty much where I wanted to be (I can also do it as a report form in Visual dBase 5.7, but I digress)

So what I'm working on now is automating the envelope printing. I can set up a routine to mail merge envelopes in Word from a database file; simple enough, if you have the address information. And there's the rub.

Getting the US and Canadian address information on a regular basis is a challenge, but it can be done; just as N4MC or AE7Q, to name two. Problem is that I work mainly DX these days, so I need access to DX station addresses.

Do you know how many DX country databases are out there on the web? Lots.
Do you know how many aren't? Lots.
Do you know how many are downloadable? Not a lot. And... almost everyone uses a different file format.

So to do this, I have two basic choices. The Radio Amateurs Callbook CD is fine for individual lookups, and it has the most information, but the database file is encrypted or password protected. I spoke with them briefly at Dayton. If I pay an annual developer's license fee, they'll provide me with what I want... suffice to say that the fee mentioned is higher than I think it's worth for an individual project.

And that leaves *sigh* QRZ. (I haven't forgotten Buckmaster, but I don't know anything about their file formats etc., or how much data they really have)

The QRZ? CD-ROM uses a very easy to read file format... or at least they did. Due to various circumstances, I don't have a current (2009 was the last) CD, which is why I'm trying to find a used one to purchase... I want to make sure I can do what I want to do before investing in an annual subscription to the download information.

The good news is that one of the download files is a .CSV comma separated value text file. And it's specifically listed as being provided for someone who wants to import the file into their own database format, which means no legal hassles when I do the conversion (of course, I'll confirm this with K3AIR before doing so, that's the advantage of having a lawyer on your multi-single team).

If I can't find a CD, I will have to bite the bullet and buy a one month subscription to get the file. If it works, as I think it will, then I'll go ahead and invest in the annual subscription. I would just prefer to get a used CD and verify before investing in the .CSV download blindly.

Once I get the data... convert it into a .dbf file (can't use Excel due to it's limitations). Then, the idea will be that I run a routine that asks for a data range, then extracts from the master log database that range into a seprate log file. One run to print cards, one to print mailing envelopes (return envelopes can be done separately and in advance). Then, sign cards, match cards to envelopes, stuff, stuff SAE/SASE and GS/IRC as needed, seal, stamp and mail.

It sounds tougher than it is.

Once I get this part ironed out, I can look into printing postage direct onto the envelopes. It can be done right now, but if I don't get the address information automated, what's the point?

And if I ever get my hands on a Documatch printer, I can go the next step and have the machine do it all. But those things are expensive, and despite Pitney-Bowes advertising, they're a lot more tempermental than you'd think. Down the road though...

W5RB
05-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I thought all the others had gone by the wayside . Is this one any use ?

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Radio-Amateur-Callbook-CD-ROM-2010/

http://www.arrl.org/shop/images/P/0126.jpg

W3WN
05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Nope. Can't read the data directly, which means I can't convert and import it into.