PDA

View Full Version : It Isn't Ham Radio But It is Beautiful

N4VGB
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Well OK it is audiophoolery but it's still nice tube construction.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac03/vsac_3.html

http://www.electronluv.com/

KG4CGC
05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to listen to some old Beatles albums.

WØTKX
05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yPYYTw4WE

W1GUH
05-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I couldn't tell from the pix, but if those pieces don't have wooden knobs, forget it! Ya just can't get perfect sound with metal knobs...just ask the guys who sell wooden knobs.

Though this pair won't be for sale, two commissions in a similar chassis (and clocking in at $50-60K) are already in the works...

And audiophool and his money? Price of everything and the value of nothing?

N4VGB
05-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Acura has a new auto commercial out that features a guy sitting with his tube audio amp beside him trying to convince the world and himself how impressive it is, it's very funny and has the tube audio amp people in a real dither.

kb2vxa
05-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Just what DOES a choke, or a rectifier sound like???

N4VGB
05-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Just what DOES a choke, or a rectifier sound like???

At the input or output of either??? 60hz, 120hz or 240hz most likely.:lol:

N8YX
06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I suppose an audio-frequency kilowatt made from a push-pull 4CX250 or equivalent pair would send those yahoos off the deep end, right?

N4VGB
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I suppose an audio-frequency kilowatt made from a push-pull 4CX250 or equivalent pair would send those yahoos off the deep end, right?

Probably. Most of the audiophools are reallly hungup on big triodes in Class A.

N4VGB
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Acura has a new auto commercial out that features a guy sitting with his tube audio amp beside him trying to convince the world and himself how impressive it is, it's very funny and has the tube audio amp people in a real dither.

Just bumped into the Acura ad on YouTube, funny stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe62LFmYMCY

"There's real gas in these tubes" the man says. Must be some of those cheapest Chinese numbers!? :lol:

kf0rt
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Just bumped into the Acura ad on YouTube, funny stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe62LFmYMCY

"There's real gas in these tubes" the man says. Must be some of those cheapest Chinese numbers!? :lol:

What happened to the vacuuuuum? :rofl:

Actually have an AF kilowatt setup here. It's not all that expensive to do (& do quite well). But, you have to "settle" for transistors.

N4VGB
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
What happened to the vacuuuuum? :rofl:

Actually have an AF kilowatt setup here. It's not all that expensive to do (& do quite well). But, you have to "settle" for transistors.

The "vacuum" inside even good tubes has never been perfect, they all have some gas in them and they all produce some gas from the tube elements with use. Some of the carbon plate numbers outgas a lot with use.

I have plenty of tubes and iron to build an AF amp but I'm just not that big into music. Just about any old cheap commercial stereo satisfies my meager needs.

And yes I'm still mad at all the audiophools for buying up all the Eico 730 modulators, that one is a real shame.

kf0rt
06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
The "vacuum" inside even good tubes has never been perfect, they all have some gas in them and they all produce some gas from the tube elements with use. Some of the carbon plate numbers outgas a lot with use.

I have plenty of tubes and iron to build an AF amp but I'm just not that big into music. Just about any old cheap commercial stereo satisfies my meager needs.

And yes I'm still mad at all the audiophools for buying up all the Eico 730 modulators, that one is a real shame.

No disagreement here concerning toob gas.

As for AF and music, I love it and often prefer it loud. Thing is, the state of the art in AF is now such that your "cheap commercial stereo" is likely to be quite good as long as you're not buying from the bottom tier. Marketing in AF stuff is simply amazing when one approaches anything near the fringe.

N4VGB
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
No disagreement here concerning toob gas.

As for AF and music, I love it and often prefer it loud. Thing is, the state of the art in AF is now such that your "cheap commercial stereo" is likely to be quite good as long as you're not buying from the bottom tier. Marketing in AF stuff is simply amazing when one approaches anything near the fringe.

To my ears the class A SS stereo amps sound better than the high end tube numbers anyway. You can look at the specs on the old tubes and easily see that in AF service the modern SS devices are far superior. The big toroidal xformers used in the modern SS amps produce far less distortion than most of the vintage tube iron also.

But I'll also admit that there is a place for distortion in some music listening.

I make fun of them but I sold most of my NOS NIB WE 300B and 350B tubes to audiophools at unbelieveably high prices and they all walked away with huge smiles on their faces. There's one born every minute. ;)