PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft "Silverlight"

n2ize
05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
What's with this Microsoft "Silverlight" crap ? Apparently it's supposed to be a "Flash killer". But to date most sites are using Flash and even Microsoft is using Flash on some of it's Silverlight videos.

Apparently , and in their usual form, Microsoft didn't support Linux in their initial releases of Silverlight. However, with Microsofts blessing a third party has produced "Moonlight" which is supposedly a Linux/Firefox Silverlight plug in. Well, I installed it and for the most part it works but it still has some issues and is not fully compatible with Silverlight. Typical. In any event the upshot is that after scouring the web I could find next to nothing that uses Silverlight. Fortunately almost everybody is using Flash which unlike Microsoft Adobe supports on Linux.

So, is Silverlight yet another one of those "killer Microsoft apps" that has gone by the wayside ?

KC2UGV
05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
The only saving grace Siverlight has going for it: Netflix uses it to stream movies. No, it still wont work trying to stream netflix to a linux machine yet.

n2ize
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
The only saving grace Siverlight has going for it: Netflix uses it to stream movies. No, it still wont work trying to stream netflix to a linux machine yet.

In other words it's broken.

KC2UGV
05-14-2010, 10:30 PM
In other words it's broken.

More or less. But,to it's defense, MPAA required some features available only via ActiveX to run.

n2ize
05-14-2010, 11:50 PM
More or less. But,to it's defense, MPAA required some features available only via ActiveX to run.

Typical of the archaic MPAA, They don't want their zoetropic images to fall into the wrong hands.

ka8ncr
05-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Silverlight is Microsoft's latest "Us Too" application.. The bastages in Redmond added that to my Visual Studio service pack, and then promptly added it everywhere on my system at work all without asking. Adobe is famous for the same kind of behavior.

W3WN
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Why does "Silverlight" remind me of Silverfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish)? :lol: