PDA

View Full Version : Dayton 2010 thread

N8YX
05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
At entrance to fleamarket now, waiting for gates to open.

Will post updates and tidbits as they become available.

Anyone else in attendance? Jump on in...

N8YX
05-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Treasures here; sunken there...buried treasure everywhere!

Just snagged a Cubic Astro 150R and PSU7R - part of the "Cubic Kilowatt". Only 20 of these combos were made.

Same guy has a Corsair II, 263G VFO and PS/speaker unit - $650.

N9FE
05-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Have Fun Fred !!

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Stuff!

KJ3N
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Stuff!

Old stuff. :yuck:

N9FE
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah some new stuff too... And the Icom Girlz.... Whoooo hooooo

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Old stuff. :yuck:
I've had old stuff, I've had new stuff. Right now the old stuff is outperforming the new stuff.

N8YX
05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
P3 for K3 - $700
KPA-500 for K3 - $2000
Fully loaded K3 - $4000

I've just found my new HF/VHF station.

KJ3N
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
P3 for K3 - $700
KPA-500 for K3 - $2000
Fully loaded K3 - $4000

I've just found my new HF/VHF station.

Welcome to the fold. :muhahaha:

N8YX
05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Myself, 'DSG and Suddenseer now sittitng down to a nice Mexican dinner, replete with margaritas topped with those neat little umbrellas... :dance:

N9FE
05-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Fred if you see a blue van down on the helper springs, And N9WQ on the license plate. Thats Dave coming home with a load.

KU0DM
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Of course. The year I'm not there the Icom Girls show up. Of course.

N4VGB
05-14-2010, 10:22 PM
The emails I've gotten indicate a severe lack of mil surplus & boat anchor gear, also a thin flea market turnout compared to years past.

Discouraging to me on ever making the trip again.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 05:54 AM
The emails I've gotten indicate a severe lack of mil surplus & boat anchor gear, also a thin flea market turnout compared to years past.

Discouraging to me on ever making the trip again.
We've seen quite a bit of Collins, Hammarlund and TMC stuff...a nice B&W 5100 w/SSB converter...a number of Johnson and Gonset pieces. The guy who sold me the Astro stuff is a green-radio buff from Missouri - one of the few milrad guys in attendance. If you like I'll pass his contact info along.

suddenseer
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Myself, 'DSG and Suddenseer now sittitng down to a nice Mexican dinner, replete with margaritas topped with those neat little umbrellas... :dance:
You are sneaky, and fast/ I did not recall you sneaking in a posting.

ki4itv
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
You are sneaky, and fast/ I did not recall you sneaking in posting.

Kool!
Y'all lookin' good.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Went in search of Sienna (DZ-Kit) and found them outside in the fleamarket. Spent a bit of time talking to Brian, W0DZ about slaving their transceiver and receiver kits together.

I like the ergos and overall layout of that setup...a LOT.

KG4CGC
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Went in search of Sienna (DZ-Kit) and found them outside in the fleamarket. Spent a bit of time talking to Brian, W0DZ about slaving their transceiver and receiver kits together.

I like the ergos and overall layout of that setup...a LOT.

I checked them out at their website a few weeks ago. Are those the real specs or is there some 3 card montey number crunching? Those things should be able to hear a cricket on Sarah's window sill as she watches Russia.

suddenseer
05-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Yeah he snuck in posting in about 10 seconds. They took my pic too. Damn I look like I had a rough weekend. :lol:

KU0DM
05-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone seen the new Kenwood? I is curious.

N4VGB
05-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah he snuck in posting in about 10 seconds. They took my pic too. Damn I look like I had a rough weekend. :lol:

Damn man, you look like WA1HLR/Tim in a knit skull cap!!!:lol:

suddenseer
05-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Damn man, you look like WA1HLR/Tim in a knit skull cap!!!:lol:
Half of my hair is gone. I look like Phylis Diller:rofl: I have gone from 35 pills a day to 7. I aint quitting the weed though. :yes:

N8YX
05-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes.

Ergos are a cross between the TenTec Jupiter/Omni VII and the Elecraft K3. You can definitely see the influences of each in its execution.

No antenna was connected, so I couldn't get an idea of how well its receiver compares to the competition.

You may be getting a call/e-mail re: boat anchor stuff. I ran into a guy from Joisey with a whole lineup of SB-series toob Heathkits he was looking to sell and steered him your way.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I checked them out at their website a few weeks ago. Are those the real specs or is there some 3 card montey number crunching? Those things should be able to hear a cricket on Sarah's window sill as she watches Russia.
I didn't get to check on this - the founder had plans to run the rig from the parking lot with a Force 12 at 50 feet, but you know the saying about the best-laid plans.

Managed to snag their brochures and I plan to be in contact with 'DZ over the coming months discussing the radio. I very well may end up with a K3 in one 'multiplier' position and a transceiver/receiver Sienna combo in another.

KU0DM
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes.

Ergos are a cross between the TenTec Jupiter/Omni VII and the Elecraft K3. You can definitely see the influences of each in its execution.

Well if the receiver is parallel to either, then it should be a good rig. Any talk on price range?

Regarding the old gear, excellent! Thanks for thinking about me, will let you know what I hear.

N9FE
05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Damn am i glad to see the umbrella drinks. Keep up the good work All !

N8YX
05-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I got hold of the final piece of the "Cubic Kilowatt" this evening - that is, the ST-2R 2kW rack-mount antenna tuner.

It's my understanding that 20 of these sets were specially made for N&G Distributing (FL) during the early '80s, and they were quite the pricey outfit. I have no idea how many survive "intact" - last one I saw advertised for sale was in 2004, on Eham.

The amplifier came to me in 2006, and I don't know if the seller really knew what he had - given the deal I got.

It sat on my front porch for the past 4 years while I tossed around the idea of selling the thing. Meanwhile, I had been keeping my eye on the tuner (which has been advertised on-line at a surplus site) for some time now.

Finding the rig and PSU/phone patch cinched the deal, so to speak. I bought the tuner as soon as I got home from Dayton.

The cosmetic condition of the equipment ranges from dirty and restorable (in the case of the tuner) to excellent (amp). The rig and PSU/patch are in very good shape, although the PSU's speaker grille is going to need a re-paint.

Electrically...the Astro-150R is the 80-10M version of the set. Cubic also made the 151R (160-15M) and Astro-DR (1.5-30MHz general coverage) versions. I would dearly love to lay my hands on the two latter units but for now I'll count my blessings and be happy with the version which interfaces directly with the 1500ZR amp. It'll need some work as the synthesizer doesn't lock but if there's one line of equipment which I'm intimately familiar with, it's Cubic's Astro series. Having a huge stash of spare parts and sub-assemblies for them doesn't hurt either.

Tuner and amp are 9" high; rig and PSU are 5 1/4" high. The whole shebang fits in a 30" high desktop rack. What you got was coverage of 2.990-4.510, 5.990-8.310, 13.790-16.010, 20.790-23.010 and 27.990-30.010 MHz. Modes covered are USB/LSB and CW, with a built-in CW filter (and associated "CW-N" mode switch position). Full or semi break-in when run "barefoot" and the CW key jack was brought out to the front panel on this model. The amp will put out 700w PEP via a pair of 572Bs when run from 220VAC and driven with 80-90w; it covers 80-10M. Tuner is a wide-range unit with coax/single-wire/balanced line outputs and has illuminated FWD/REF metering.

When reconditioned, this will likely be my rag-chewing rig. If I can lay my hands on the rack-mount version of a DSP-599 or an NIR-12 I'm going to add that to the setup.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Well if the receiver is parallel to either, then it should be a good rig. Any talk on price range?

Unfortunately, I didn't get to ask the Kenwood reps - the booth was rather packed, even early (9:10 AM) Saturday morning. Managed to get about 5 minutes with the radio but no interaction with the booth staff.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Of course. The year I'm not there the Icom Girls show up. Of course.
One other note:

Didn't see the Icom Girls.

What I did see, on the other hand, was a bunch of white-haired DOM getting rather grabasstic with their very young (20-25 yo) 'companions'. I asked my compadres if I was imagining this...and I wasn't. :yuck:

N4VGB
05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I have gone from 35 pills a day to 7. I aint quitting the weed though. :yes:

You sound like Tim also!:rofl:

WV6Z
05-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Alright Fred, I almost tolerated the crap over being a Hamsexy member and what useless pieces of $#!t we are last year....... serve your penance, Richard Cranium, and post pix of the ICOM girls or GTFO!

suddenseer
05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
You sound like Tim also!:rofl:
It's time to bust the hymen on another bottle of brew.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Alright Fred, I almost tolerated the crap over being a Hamsexy member and what useless pieces of $#!t we are last year....... serve your penance, Richard Cranium, and post pix of the ICOM girls or GTFO!
Didn't get any - when we went to the Icom booth (three times over the course of two days), none were in attendance.

Managed to get a pic of the R-9500 tuned to "Da 'Bowl" - 'DSG was NOT amused with me for programming basically every receiver I could lay my hands on to that frequency. :dance:

kf0rt
05-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Just noticed that the new Kenwood is on the back cover of June's QST. No price, no specs; not even a model number. But a pretty good photo. It does look a lot like the TS-570.

N8YX
05-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Just noticed that the new Kenwood is on the back cover of June's QST. No price, no specs; not even a model number. But a pretty good photo. It does look a lot like the TS-570.
In a '590 thread 'over yonder', some of the folks stated an MSRP of ~$1800.

kf0rt
05-16-2010, 06:30 AM
In a '590 thread 'over yonder', some of the folks stated an MSRP of ~$1800.

For that kinda coin, the FT-950's looking good.

N8YX
05-16-2010, 06:40 AM
For that kinda coin, the FT-950's looking good.
For a few dollars more, the IC-9100 is looking even better.

WV6Z
05-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Didn't get any - when we went to the Icom booth (three times over the course of two days), none were in attendance.

Managed to get a pic of the R-9500 tuned to "Da 'Bowl" - 'DSG was NOT amused with me for programming basically every receiver I could lay my hands on to that frequency. :dance:

Heh, heh, you evil man you!

W3WN
05-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Treasures here; sunken there...buried treasure everywhere!

Just snagged a Cubic Astro 150R and PSU7R - part of the "Cubic Kilowatt". Only 20 of these combos were made.

Same guy has a Corsair II, 263G VFO and PS/speaker unit - $650.
I saw that Corsair. It was still on the table as late as the middle of the afternoon on Saturday.

NB3C was interested in it until he saw the condition; Greg felt that considering the cosmetic damage on the top of the rig, it wasn't quite worth that. He ended up passing on it.

I didn't think it was so bad, but since I already had a Corsair II, I didn't need it.
What do you think?

WØTKX
05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Same thing availability locally for $600, and very clean. I'm thinking about it, but prefer the first Corsair for my fetish.
I get first crack at it, as he's ordered a K3.

W3WN
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I was going to create a new thread on this, but what the hell...

Yes, our favorite connosuir of antique radios and quesy dillas was there.
2790I bumped into Pat in the flea market on Friday... actually, I thought I had spotted him earlier, but it was a VE3 who is the spitting image of Pat's picture. We had a very nice short eyeball. I helped him bring a few of his treasures back to the car (complete with fake bullet holes), and you can see him here holding a very used old Hallicrafters speaker that he was about to stuff into his trunk.

I also got an earful about the friend who he gave a ride too, but that's his story to tell and I'm sure he will.

And I want you all to know that on behalf of the Island, I presented Pat with four packages of Top Ramen noodles (picked up on sale at the local CVS Pharmacy for 12 cents each!!), which he informed me would be his dinner on Friday night! So I think he was somewhat appreciative!

Pat also insisted on working me on 146.52 simplex so that I'd be on the log for W6D.

I ended up taking him through the flea market and back up to the ARRL area, I remember that there was something he was looking for enroute. Last saw him at the ARRL area, looking for a place to sit down.

Nice guy.

Oh, he did make a few comments about how "heavy handed" the moderation on a certain other site has been of late. An invitation to a pina colada was extended, and he said he'd seriously consider it. We shall see...

N8YX
05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh, he did make a few comments about how "heavy handed" the moderation on a certain other site has been of late. An invitation to a pina colada was extended, and he said he'd seriously consider it. We shall see...
Pat's already a member here.

As long as he can take some busting of the chops re: drama-queening, he'll fit right in. :dance:

We also took Ramen for him but didn't make his acquaintance. :(

KG4CGC
05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I saw that Corsair. It was still on the table as late as the middle of the afternoon on Saturday.

NB3C was interested in it until he saw the condition; Greg felt that considering the cosmetic damage on the top of the rig, it wasn't quite worth that. He ended up passing on it.

I didn't think it was so bad, but since I already had a Corsair II, I didn't need it.
What do you think?
Post numbers $$$

N8YX
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Post numbers $$$
$650.
The seller is the guy who sold me the Astro 150 stuff.

KG4CGC
05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
$650.
The seller is the guy who sold me the Astro 150 stuff.
With VFO, PS and radio I'd say it's a good price assuming the radio and everything works like it should. I've seen power supplies for those over the last 6 weeks go for $240 on ebay (one went for 190 but it was not specific to the Corsair) and I do not recall at this time ever seeing a VFO although I'm sure they're out there.
Eh, I suppose if you don't want one then that's fine but how bad was the cosmetic fubar?

N8YX
05-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Eh, I suppose if you don't want one then that's fine but how bad was the cosmetic fubar?
Unless the panel escutcheon itself was gouged, damage to the top - specifically, to the cover - is inconsequential. Spray paint (or powdercoating) is relatively cheap.

KG4CGC
05-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Unless the panel escutcheon itself was gouged, damage to the top - specifically, to the cover - is inconsequential. Spray paint (or powdercoating) is relatively cheap.
Yeah, I was looking for something in the picture but I guess the pic is too small or the scratch was a mere passing wind.

W3WN
05-16-2010, 06:25 PM
With VFO, PS and radio I'd say it's a good price assuming the radio and everything works like it should. I've seen power supplies for those over the last 6 weeks go for $240 on ebay (one went for 190 but it was not specific to the Corsair) and I do not recall at this time ever seeing a VFO although I'm sure they're out there.
I didn't think the scratches were that bad, they seemed to me pretty minor blemishes, easily fixed. They were on top of the Corsair itself, so there must have been something sitting on top of the unit in a previous owner's shack. They don't show up too well on the photo, and that should tell you something.

I suspect Greg could have negotiated down some from $650 if he had really wanted to... he kinda vacllated for a while and then decided to pass based on that -- and that he'd have to write a check, he didn't have enough cash on him.

Considering the price, well 2 years ago I bought a Corsair II with the remote VFO & PS from W3WH for $550, and mine included 2 of the 3 filters (1.8 kHz and 500 Hz but not the 250 Hz). Granted, mine also has two small issues -- some cosmetic damage to the front of the speaker grill on the PS, and both the RVFO & PS are colored for the Corsair, not the Corsair II... big deal, they are the exact same units. So I didn't think $650 was out of line.

Also keep in mind that price included the desk mike; you can see the base of that in the cropped picture (on top of the manual). No, not out of line at all.

suddenseer
05-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, I did not get to attend the big show, but I was very pleased to make eyeball contact with the lovely KD8DSG, and N8YX. Fred married 'up the scale' if you know what I mean. This lady is not only classy, and well read she is the brains of the outfit. Fred is like a head and a half taller than me. So naughty Islanders beware not only can he ban you, he can come over and open a can of whoop ass if ya smell what I'm cooking. Ok all kidding aside, they are my kind of ham operators, normal smart folks who are not wearing vests, hats, and walkie talkies all over the place. I threw a couple technical bits of data about a commercial radio station where I was a part time engineer: He correctly told me what the wavelength of the hot towers, and how they were fed for night time co phased operation, and the width, and depth of the buried copper ground field. Hell I worked there, and needed to use a pencil, and calculator to figure that. So when he does tech talk ya better shut up, and bend your ear. Good to meet ya Fred!

WØTKX
05-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Yabbut Fred will bend your ear about anything. And Tim, you need a tie dye or fractal do-rag. :neener:

N8YX
05-16-2010, 07:53 PM
...normal smart folks who are not wearing vests, hats, and walkie talkies all over the place.
We took an old Apple laptop bag full of the following:

1x VX-7R and two antennas;
1x VX-6R and two antennas;
2x GXT900 FRS/GMRS talkies;
2x SV220 MURS talkies;

Chargers, belt clips and speaker mics for all of the above. None of it got used because our traveling partner was having better luck keeping in touch with us via cell phone.

I own a vest. It looks like this:

http://arizonabikerleathers.com/images/brfrvest.jpg

Inside pockets come in handy for carrying a cell phone, small HT and spare battery, etc.

Don't wear it to hamfests unless I'm riding the bike.

Was nice meeting you as well, Tim. I spent the better part of the morning putting up the tri-band vertical I told you about. If you want to give 52.525 or thereabouts a go some evening using FM, let me know.

suddenseer
05-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Yabbut Fred will bend your ear about anything. And Tim, you need a tie dye or fractal do-rag. :neener:
LOL I wore my work dudz. I was faced with the post chemo hair dilemma: shave your head, and hell with it, or let the peach fuzz grow. I know, I am bloated, and my eyes look weird. I am done with this &*(#. My blood work is NORMAL did ya hear that cancer? you are gone!!!!!!! My oncologist is a sweet lady, she has held my hand through all of this. She suggested a vegan raw food macrobiotic diet to fix all what is wrong that this cancer did. I am really thinkiing about it. it means no coffee, no processed food, no vodka. Good weed OK:agree: She promises I will feel better.

I am cancer free as of last week!!!!! I am a swollen, bloated, red, purple eyed wreck, but I won!!!!!!Did I mention weak? I don't know how to express this. I am happier than I was last week.

I tried to keep all of this to myself. So when they were cooking my insides with radio isotopses, and began to poison my healthy tissues with the poisons I might of let if slip that I was sick. I am a gay man living with a gay man we take great efforts letting others know about what we are going throught.

That is what i was faced with. I offer no apology, or explination. I have arrived, and are ready to take the next step.

N4VGB
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
So I'm cruising the flea market space assignments and couldn't help noticing this tidbit, Lemon James had 3 empty spaces on on side and one empty space on the other side.:lol:

Bunch of cowards!:rofl:

N8YX
05-17-2010, 04:18 AM
So I'm cruising the flea market space assignments and couldn't help noticing this tidbit, Lemon James had 3 empty spaces on on side and one empty space on the other side.:lol:

There were a lot of empty spaces this year. I think Ms. James had little to do with the poor turnout.

N8YX
05-17-2010, 05:20 AM
So I'm cruising the flea market space assignments...
Did you actually go this year?

W3WN
05-17-2010, 09:06 AM

I think it may have had more to do with the bikini top she wore on Friday and Saturday. :evil:

How can I put this? Let's just say that the on-line photos you see of her were taken earlier in her career. Oh, she's not bad looking, by any means... but she has seen better days, and she definitely should have worn better sunscreen when she went tanning.

Also when I went by, she was not playing any of her own music. Insert obvious wisecrack of your choice here.

I do have a couple of snapshots of her... and she was actually selling some small electronics junque, so unlike some (I did get a great buy on a new leather belt & wallet-that-has-no-money-in-it) she actually had a legit reason to be in an electronics flea market.

W3WN
05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
There were a lot of empty spaces this year. I think Ms. James had little to do with the poor turnout.
There were more in the flea market on Saturday than on Friday, but I think it's safe to say that a good 1/3 of the flea market space on Saturday was empty.

And if you looked carefully (especially if you remember the glory days), you could see where the flea market area of the parking lot had shrunk. There was a lot of space along the side of HARA that was obviously converted from flea market to ADA parking, for one. On the other side, where the big tent used to be... quite a bit blocked off.

I'd guesstimate attendance as around 17-18K. They may announce a higher attendance, but that may be based on ticket sales, not actually people through the gate. Way down from the glory days when the attendance was legitimately over 30 K.

I don't recall seeing US Tower. I know The Daily DX wasn't there. I don't recall seeing the Red Cross mobile unit. GM and/or Ford had been there in the past showing off HF equipped cars, instead there was electric cart rental.

W3WN
05-17-2010, 09:20 AM
I did look at it Friday morning. And I do mean "look" as that was all you could do.

There wasn't much of a crowd at that point, although later in the day and on Saturday there must have been, as I couldn't get near the booth.

They had no brochures. No MSRP listed. And the rep I asked said that they hadn't been told much about the rig yet, and couldn't even tell me when it would go on sale.

Wasn't like it was a bad looking piece of gear, but nothing I saw was that innovative. But keep in mind that it was on display and we really could not get our hands on it. Nothing that comes across as exciting.

I do have a couple of snapshots, I'll try to upload them when I get home tonight.

Oh, no Kenwood pins this year. The rep told me that they hadn't been shipped any. Those who snagged the Yaesu hats got a nice looking one, I like the design... I just don't care for Yaesu, and since I'd never wear the hat, why bother?

ki4itv
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I am cancer free as of last week!!!!! (+ everything else. (( heavily snipped)))

That's totally awesome!:agree:
Get well and raise hell!

W3WN
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Pat's already a member here.

As long as he can take some busting of the chops re: drama-queening, he'll fit right in. :dance:

We also took Ramen for him but didn't make his acquaintance. :(
I guess I didn't make much of an impression on him, Ramen notwithstanding. Especially after reading his post that he was going to the great greasy golden arches for dinner. Since when do they serve Ramen?

He indicated to me that he was not a member. Maybe he forgot? Whatever... if he can put up with the wisecracks being posted in the W6D thread (does WM3O have to have a smart-ass comment in EVERY thread these days?), he should have no problem here.

His choice.

N8YX
05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
He indicated to me that he was not a member. Maybe he forgot? Whatever... if he can put up with the wisecracks being posted in the W6D thread (does WM3O have to have a smart-ass comment in EVERY thread these days?), he should have no problem here.

His choice.
I would definitely think that to be the case:

http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?8295-Life-without-a-transmitter.&p=161199&viewfull=1#post161199
(http://forums.hamisland.showthread.php?8295-Life-without-a-transmitter.&p=161199&viewfull=1#post161199)

W5RB
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
:( Link's not workin' for me .

N8YX
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Try now...

W5RB
05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Mo betta . Thanx.

N4VGB
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
N8YX ask: Did you actually go this year?

And since he's back to being unquotable, I had to do the above manually!:lol:

No, I was just cruising the assignments on the web to see who all was there. Pretty dismal turnout I see.:irked:

Got several emails from Dayton and none were encouraging to me on ever returning there. I'll admit it, I got spoiled by the good old days at the Dayton Hamvention. It really is impossible for the Hamvention to ever be that good again, just from completely natural circumstances. My last attendance was in 2004 and it was marvelous.

You probably don't even need a good toolkit at Dayton any longer??? The toolkit was needed for all the stuff left behind by surplus dealers who after trying to sell the junk for 3 days would leave it behind rather than hauling it back home with them!!!:lol: You seldom wanted the whole thing, whatever it was, but you can't grab to good pieces out of it without tools!!!:lol:

W3WN
05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I'll tell you one thing.

The HARA Arena (both the original ice hockey arena and the various additions to the structure since) needed a coat of paint 15-20 years ago.

It still needs that same coat of paint today.

The place is slowly falling apart. The parking lot is half asphalt & half disintegrated asphalt. Most of the commodes still flush more than 1.5 gallons... so you can imagine how old they are.

One of these days, the Dayton Gems will move to the U of Dayton arena, and HARA will be left behind to finish rotting. If it hasn't passed the point of no return, it's coming up on it.

If it were up to me, I'd buy the car dealership (Honda?) property across the street from HARA (convince them to move to an empty dealership in the area, with all the ones GM & Chrysler folded, there has to be a place), the field behind it, and the field across from it (behind the state inspection station). I'd build a new arena and a new set of exhibit areas, along with a modernized food court and a hell of a lot more bathrooms (working yet). I'd convert the fields to parking areas. And when I was done, I'd hold a raffle... the winner gets to push the plunger and blow up the existing HARA arena building. Then I'd convert that to more parking as well.

But it's not up to me.

N8YX
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll tell you one thing.

The HARA Arena (both the original ice hockey arena and the various additions to the structure since) needed a coat of paint 15-20 years ago.

The place is slowly falling apart. The parking lot is half asphalt & half disintegrated asphalt. Most of the commodes still flush more than 1.5 gallons... so you can imagine how old they are.

One of these days, the Dayton Gems will move to the U of Dayton arena, and HARA will be left behind to finish rotting. If it hasn't passed the point of no return, it's coming up on it.
Heck, there are 3AGC fuses laying in cracks in the parking lot (good ones, yet!) which look to be several years old! We found 'em as we were taking a break from all the strolling.

Last year the rumor was that the event would be moved to the IX Center in Cleveland. Doing so would make a bit more sense...

N4VGB
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I'll tell you one thing.

That tired old building and the poor asphalt never bothered me in the least. Spent too many hamfests in gravel and grass areas to complain about having any condition asphalt under foot.

KØWVM
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM

Any of them K3OOO? What a cutie! OH WAIT!? She's not legal just yet or is she? I better stop...

N9FE
05-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Everyone said no Icom Girlz. DAMN.. The electric cart rental for 70 bucks a day was allmost worth it though.

N4VGB
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Everyone said no Icom Girlz. DAMN.. The electric cart rental for 70 bucks a day was allmost worth it though.

UH-OH!!! They have a cart rental there now? In 2004 I brought my own, no problem with them. I'm betting that is a no-no now?

suddenseer
05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
That's totally awesome!:agree:
Get well and raise hell!

I will not take ambien & post. I will not take ambien & post.
:quiet:

N8YX
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
<snip>
I will not take ambien & post. I will not take ambien & post
<snip>
I've got La Machine cranked up at the moment, turning out something that'll hopefully be better than the drinks we were served at Tumbleweed.

I'll see how it goes this evening. :snicker:

kf0rt
05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Rumor has it they might be renting piss-bags next year. :shhh:

suddenseer
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I've got La Machine cranked up at the moment, turning out something that'll hopefully be better than the drinks we were served at Tumbleweed.

I'll see how it goes this evening. :snicker:

I am curious, did ya get to try that stout yet?

N8YX
05-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I am curious, did ya get to try that stout yet?
Being saved for a special occasion. ;)