PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for portable HF ops?

KC9ECI
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I've got a Superantennas MP-1 that I use if I need to make minimal impact on my operating environment. Normally a simple speaker wire dipole does the job though. I tried out a LMZ-50 UNUN and speaker wire antenna last weekend while camping and that seemed to work out OK as well. What's in your bag of tricks?

KU0DM
05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm tempted to invest in one of these: http://www.parelectronics.com/end-fedz.php
If I land a summer job would love a Buddipole. But ATM, a small dipole.

KC9ECI
05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I have a friend who has one of those End Fedz. I used it a couple weeks ago to make some CW QSO's in the FLQP. It works great, but it's kind of spendy for what it is. You can only order them during certain 'windows' of opportunity to as the company making them concentrates on supplying the military. The next opportunity to purchase is the 21st of this month. I'd hold off though if I were you. I can't say more at this point due to a non-disclosure agreement I made.

N4VGB
05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Icom 706MKIIG mobile setup and if I ever operate portable again it'll probably be a mil surplus PRC-47 on CW. It really will load just about anything for an antenna.

KC9ECI
05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Rig in use here is an Icom 703+. I'm primarily a QRP guy and that internal antenna tuner really rocks.

N9FE
05-14-2010, 09:21 AM
A 706 and a small matchbox, And throw a 130ft doublet up in the trees. Oh and a marine battery.

kf0rt
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
IC-7000 and a Palstar AT1KM tuner that switches between an end-fed random wire and a 20 meter dipole.

WØTKX
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Had an FT-897D, traded for a loaded FT-857D... prefer the button layout on the latter, and it has Inrad filters. I have also used the Ten Tec Omni D camping. It's voltage fussy, but works better in a multi-op setting, as it doesn't get swamped like the FT-857 does. I have a quantity of AGM deep discharge batteries, and take my MFJ-941D manual tuner along.

A few baluns, and a few dipoles. The 160 meter OCF with 300 ohm twinlead is a favorite, if I got the room. Ground rods, cable, lightning arrestors. Lots of slippery skinny rope, bungees and nylon pulleys. Tennis ball slingshot, and I have upgraded to an untried pneumatic antenna launcher kit.

Sometimes in the middle of nowhere, I really get into SWL'ing. You can hear the weak ones better.

w3bny
05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Lessee....

Got an MP-1...its ok...but considering selling it. (no emails! will let you all know when I make up my bunny mind!) A 12ft collapsible whip on a tripod, an 8'ft mil surplus break down whip for backpack and other lulzy things...dont ask..it was stupid. And a 100' 26ga dipole with either zipcord or 300ohm ladder line.

Everything except the MP-1 goes thru my SGC-211. how's that go? Oh yeah.. Fine bidness!

KC9ECI
05-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Portability is a must for this project.

de M0KCE.

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Portability is a must for this project.

de M0KCE.
Going back to Ireland?

KC9ECI
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Negative. Going back to the UK in just over a week. Looking forward to messing around in the CQ WPX for a bit, drinking pints of tasty goodness and just being a lazy git.

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Ah, fine business OM hihi.
Take lots of pictures for us or we'll say it never happened. We're all cruel like that.
Jaded Americans the lot of us!

KC2UGV
05-14-2010, 10:30 PM
+1 pics or it didn't happen :)

N4VGB
05-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Negative. Going back to the UK in just over a week. Looking forward to messing around in the CQ WPX for a bit, drinking pints of tasty goodness and just being a lazy git.

Guinness Draught always in the fridge here.

But of course, it's from Ireland.:lol:

Hey, it's next door to the UK.

N9FE
05-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Ahhh Guinness.. A meal in a can.

WV6Z
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, as portability is an obvious must and as I have viewed your YouTube flicks of the radioactive camping adventure, I would say stick with what you are running as it obviously works.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Used to use an HW-8, motorcycle battery (charged by motorcycle), am MFJ QRP tuner, wattmeter and a fan dipole made from multi-conductor rotor control cable - fed with RG-58 or RG-8X. Or a random-length wire thrown into a nearby tree.

Would probably go the 703/817/K2 route now.

KC9ECI
05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I have more trees available to me when I'm camping. On the other hand in the UK I have something that sort of resembles a beach and a large mass of saltwater. I had the MP-1 out today and made a few domestic Q's. Thought about ordering a stake mount from Blue Star Antennas until I added up the final cost. $22+ was a bit much. I took the 3/8x24 mirror mount off my backpack frame, cut a length of solid aluminum rod, put a 90 degree bend near the top and made my own stake mount. I planted that, screwed the MP-1 to it, tuned and checked in to the MMSN on 14.300 to check it out. Got a good report from the net control station in NE. I think tomorrow I may mess around with the UNUN some more. I'm thinking that I might like to try the UNUN, a seriously long length of magnet wire and a helium filled weather balloon for field day.

KC9ECI
05-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Used to use an HW-8, motorcycle battery (charged by motorcycle), am MFJ QRP tuner, wattmeter and a fan dipole made from multi-conductor rotor control cable - fed with RG-58 or RG-8X. Or a random-length wire thrown into a nearby tree.

Would probably go the 703/817/K2 route now.

I've got an HW-8 on the desk downstairs. Fun little rig. I like my 703+. I had one of the original 703's and it suffered the finals failure twice in less than a year. After the 2nd failure I got a little agitated with Icom when I was told I'd be without a radio for 3 months. Long story short they eventually sent me a 703+ and it had been a champ ever since. I like the built in auto tuner and thought it was a fair trade in exchange for the 817s 2M/70CM and I have very little interest in those bands unless there is some ducting or a contest.

N8YX
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I did something interesting in the way of rigs this evening:

There are a total of four (count 'em) FT-726Rs in and around the shack. Space was made available this week for a 6M/2M/440MHz vertical so I reconfigured one unit for those bands and another for HF/2/430 - this for satellite work.

That left two more and a bunch of band modules.

Rig #3 got HF, 6 and 2M. There is a spare 430MHz module which can be swapped with the HF module to allow 6M/2M/430MHz operation @ 10w out - perfect for those VHF hilltop excursions.

I have one more of the rigs which is a bare-bones unit...it'll get 6M/2M/430 installed and maybe a spare HF module to boot. It's going up for sale to some like-minded VHFer/Field Day enthusiast.

KC9ECI
05-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Thought about ordering a stake mount from Blue Star Antennas until I added up the final cost. $22+ was a bit much. I took the 3/8x24 mirror mount off my backpack frame, cut a length of solid aluminum rod, put a 90 degree bend near the top and made my own stake mount. I planted that, screwed the MP-1 to it, tuned and checked in to the MMSN on 14.300 to check it out. Got a good report from the net control station in NE.

Since you guys like pictures, here you go. I didn't bother with the telescoping whip for the MP-1, I just used the top section of a 40M hamstick I had out in the camper.

http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/mp1.JPG
http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/mp1mount.JPG

W1GUH
05-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Based on the awesome performance I've had with my mobile setup, the first thing to suggest is a mobile antenna mounted on a car, or anything else for that matter. Here's a very convenient way of mounting something like that...

http://www.pacetronics.com/graphics/mount12.jpg

That's not an endorsement of that particular product -- just a generic pic. I got one of those at a hamfest last year -- think it was < $10, actually cheaper than buying the parts and doing the welding yourself. Haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet, but it was such a great idea that I HAD to get one!

;)

Anyone who has followed my portable/mobile comments over on the other site that we all know and love knows what's coming next -- :rant: (sort of). But I am stepping up on the :soapbox:

IMHO, there's no reason (at least for general, "recreational" operating) to get anything that costs more than a generic hamstick. Those babies get out!!!!!! :yes:

And I did an informal comparison between a 40m hamstick mounted on the car and a 31' vertical wire up in the tree. Never transmitted 'cuz the band was in one of those yellowy states, but on receive the wire was "about" (by a very subjective method of measurement) a S-unit better than the hamstick. But practically speaking, there wasn't much audible difference.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is that when I operate that baby in motion, I get really, really, really good reports. And a generic hamstick is < $20 and has nothing fragile to break. That, plus a Diamond 400 lip mount, and you've got the lowest cost possible (without making you own from junk box parts) mobile or portable setup. And SOOOOOO quick and easy to setup. I imagine that finding something to clamp a vice-grip mount should be pretty easy, too, and that saves $$$$$ on the mount.

Another idea is a dipole mount to mount two hamsticks back-to-back.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/5170.jpg

That one's from MFJ, but there's bunches of others -- I see them at hamfests all the time. I've got one but haven't used it. I guess the thing is that the vertical hamstick'll give you the low-angle radiation for more range, the dipole mount'll be better for close-in? OTOH, the dipole mount needs 2 hamsticks. But if you want a short, protable dipole, it seems to me that 2 hamsticks and a dipole mount is far preferable over a buddipole becuause it's extremely cheaper. Approx $40 the the hamsticks and $15 for the dipole mounts. Last I checked the buddipole will set you back far more than that.

But, in conclusion, a hamstick mounted on a car is an almost ideal setup. It gets out like gangbusters -- most days last year were days when Europe was easy and routine from the car -- in fact, one Saturday afternoon I worked 6 or 7 E. Europe nations, including Russia on CW (2x 599's). (Who needs sunspots?) AND, I worked Amsterdam from the NJTP (New Jersey Turnpike) with my '817 & hamstick. If you need more performance than that....well...you pays your money and you takes your choice.

PLUS....for even more "goodness"...

Adding "mobile" to your call adds at least 10 dB to your signal. Whether you're parked or in motion, hams LOVE working mobiles, especially DX. "Portable" just doesn't have that cache'.

Ok, :rant:over and I'm stepping down from the soapbox. My advice is try a generic hamstick first, for either mobile or portable with a vice-grip mount. It's not a lot of money (well, it's more than speaker wire, but less than speaker wire + tuner), and will probably do great things for you. AND be a lot easire to setup!

Vinnie
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
In April we used a hamstick clamped to aft rail of a canal boat up near Chester, Wales. Worked a few state-side (no west coast) and EU using an old TS-50. Trouble was, everytime we'd stop, the pub came first, THEN the radio......

KC9ECI
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a blast, the pub part in particular. I will be QRT as KC9ECI tomorrow and QRV as M0KCE on Thursday sometime. I doubt I'll get much op time on Thursday, but by the weekend I'll be on the air as much as time and the XYL permit.