PDA

View Full Version : Truckers didn't learn the first time around about 10M

N8YX
05-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Caught a bunch on 28.085 this afternoon.

Since the first round of warning letters didn't serve to make you folks take notice, perhaps the next batch will. I seriously doubt that Laura Smith is going to have a sense of humor regarding bootleggers within amateur radio spectrum, considering her track record when dealing with 11M miscreants thus far in her tenure.

So...back in the car goes the '2510 and a notepad. The quarry is PUCO numbers along with other truck/trailer identification and the bailiwick is the lower end of 10...

N9FE
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Just as fed-ex and the UPS drivers i know. The company says NO 10 Meter radios or your fired. Simple as that. Laura will call the company owners and inform the as well.

suddenseer
05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Beep

PA5COR
05-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Roger?

Beep

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 02:32 AM
What is the advantage of drivers using out of band equipment? Is it the allure of that which is taboo? They have more channels than they'll ever need already. 26.0mhz to 27.9mhz is generally considered freeband. They have amps.
I guess it's fun to feel special.

PA5COR
05-14-2010, 03:40 AM
:ugh:Pffft... a few lorry drivers on 10 meters....

I'm waiting for the band to open, then we can "enjoy" the miriad of polish russian etc taxicab drivers from 25 - 30+ MHz...

All illigal of course, and notifying the officials didn't help the last time.
:-|

WØTKX
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
What is the advantage of drivers using out of band equipment? Is it the allure of that which is taboo? They have more channels than they'll ever need already. 26.0mhz to 27.9mhz is generally considered freeband. They have amps.
I guess it's fun to feel special.

Some consider it unused spectrum, and free for the taking.

But it's dumb, as there is plenty of space elsewhere... especially when the band is not open.

When it does open, ops like that will be more noticeable.

w3bny
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
While I applaud your zeal in reporting, I do fail to see what Ms. Smith is going to do with the data. Just like Mr. Hollingsworth, It really appeared that he could care less who or what was invading our frequencies. As long as you aren't jamming repeaters...even then, that took how many years to deal with that loon in California? (keep forgetting his name...Jack something or other.)

Me. Even though I am pretty much a Mud Duck in the output power department, I do enjoy doing station maintenance, CW practice, RTTY CQ's, or any digital mode afforded me by my license class.....RIGHT ON TOP OF SAID ILLEGAL USE OF THE FREQUENCY.

So until the FCC grows a set...balls, teeth, and spine, I will keep on keeping on. And yes, you should do the same and thanks!

KG4CGC
05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
If you have the actual truck and trailer numbers along with the time and date, what happens next is that the trucking companies get leaned on lest they face fines.

WØTKX
05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
And there has been a lot of these citations, after Laura got in there. I don't pay much attention, but ham radio Email buddies will keep you posted. You know, the dudes that get a filter and a folder, due to mass quantities. But I don't read the obits or police reports for lulz, either.

w3bny
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
But I don't read the obits or police reports for lulz, either.

Oh come on...we know you do...you sit there in your smoking jacket and pipe....and fez and read the obits.... Well...Jack so and so died...so sad...MOFO owed me fiddy bucks

WØTKX
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Clicky, I like this artist...

N8YX
05-15-2010, 09:00 PM
...I do fail to see what Ms. Smith is going to do with the data. Just like Mr. Hollingsworth, It really appeared that he could care less who or what was invading our frequencies. As long as you aren't jamming repeaters...even then, that took how many years to deal with that loon in California? (keep forgetting his name...Jack something or other.)...
You haven't been looking in the right places.

Check out the latest EB listing for various NOUO and NAL actions against bootleg CB operators.

I can tell you this - a few in my area were served notice on nothing more substantial than a complaint from a 3rd party. Just how does said 3rd party know, for example, what kind of equipment someone is running unless he or she is very familiar with the operator in question? One of life's little mysteries, because most of the CB operators in this area don't mention what they're using unless specifically asked - and not many people do.

Bear in mind that the warnings were for operation within the normal Class D allocation and not for out-of-band operation. the terms "high power", "non-type-accepted equipment" and so forth can be found in a number of warning letters that have been sent out since late last year.

It does appear that the 'New, Improved!' Enforcement Bureau actually is.

There are a few RCI sets in the area with 20+ KHz-wide transmitters which seriously need taken off the air but as long as they're not bothering 10M (either directly or indirectly) they're someone else's problem.

KA5PIU
05-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Hello.

I do 28.185 MHz on a regular basis, 1 MHz up from CB channel 19.
But, I do this legally, and with AM even.
The rules say that a Novice must run SSB or CW on 10 meters.
Now the question is one of what exactly is Single Side Band?
Are we dealing with SSBSC or VSBSC? both meet the qualifications.
How far down does the carrier need to be? the other sideband?
However, yes, it is correct to say that quite a few trucking carriers prohibit Amateur Radio equipment in the trucks, blanket policy with no exceptions.
Yet, running an out of band radio, such as a Galaxy or Ranger, provided it is kept off the ham bands, is fine, go figure.

W5RB
05-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Hello.

However, yes, it is correct to say that quite a few trucking carriers prohibit Amateur Radio equipment in the trucks, blanket policy with no exceptions.
Yet, running an out of band radio, such as a Galaxy or Ranger, provided it is kept off the ham bands, is fine, go figure.

How do you figure any phone transmission is legal at 28.185 ? Are you outside the US when that happens ?

KC2UGV
05-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Hello.

Um, dude, that area's for CW and RTTY... And that's not a bandpland.

KG4CGC
05-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Reminds me of the woman who said she had Mary Jane in her basement on Face Book and got busted by the cops.

WØTKX
05-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Not to mention, the happy beacon hunting grounds. :scared:

Goshdarnititall! :rant:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/9/13/633569431234455250-imeanttodothat.jpg

VE7MGF
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
BAND PLAN i dont need no stinken band plan:lol::lol:

KA5PIU
05-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Hello.

Yes, and There is the trick.
I Never said Voice transmissions.
RTTY, single tone detection, but no Transmitting!
For Phone I do 28.385 MHz.
I have one of the channel 9 monitor receivers that I added a BFO to so that I might do some RTTY with a computer sound card.
28.185 and 28.385 are real easy to do, the second oscillator is shifted 1 MHz, so whatever crystals I put in are 1 MHz up.
Transmit is with a true FSK signal.