PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get to play with a GPR-92?

W1GUH
05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I believe they actually made a few, but they're extremely rare. That'd be a receiver that I might not be able to resist if I saw one.

KG4CGC
05-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I dunno but has anyone told Black Widow Pat that there is an SX-88 for sale on teh Zeds?

W1GUH
05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Yea, but there were two identical ads for it by different calls. Both of which are banned!

KG4CGC
05-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Yea, but there were two identical ads for it by different calls. Both of which are banned!
Ah! The thlot pickens!

KG4CGC
05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Got a pic of this radio? The GPR-92.

N4VGB
05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I've seen a couple of GPR-92s that were for sale. One of 'em belonged to a friend of mine and he assured me that I didn't want it, he wasn't thrilled with it apparently?:roll:

A couple of SX-88 owners assure me of the same thing about those sets, just not what their cracked up to be. It takes a hell of an honest man to admit his SX-88 isn't all that great a performer after forking over all that cash to acquire one.:lol:

It's impossible to beat a R-390/R-390A or a Rohde & Schwarz EK-07 in RF lab test specs for the boatanchor family of tube receivers.

WØTKX
05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Click pic to enlarge...

KG4CGC
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Click pic to enlarge...

Yeah, looks like my SP600J. That's one hell of a band cruiser too.

N4VGB
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I've been told the GPR-92 was designed for a specific military system and not so much as a general use HF receiver???

It does have the 3 rear panel oscillator inputs meant to be used with single source oscillators for 2+ receivers. That definitely pegs it as at least a basic diversity receiver system component.

kb2vxa
05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
http://jptronics.org/radios/TMC/bulletins/RX/tmc.ssb_3006.pdf

N4VGB
05-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Hmmmm, it says 1 part in 10 to the 6th per day frequency stability for the external oscillator. Tall numbers for the time period.

W1GUH
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the link. I'm not surprised that those who've tried one were less than thrilled with it. It was like that when I had a GPR-90. It was pretty and very, very well built, but seemed to lack something. Or maybe the audio was yellowy. Never did get around to tapping the detector for an external amp.

N4VGB
05-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm not surprised that those who've tried one were less than thrilled with it. It was like that when I had a GPR-90. It was pretty and very, very well built, but seemed to lack something. Or maybe the audio was yellowy. Never did get around to tapping the detector for an external amp.

It's amazing but very true that somewhere and somehow the military norm for audio output was mandated to be...........lousy!:yes:

It's just about the only thing consistent in all military receivers that I've ever owned.

It's SOP these days to tap the detector output to an external audio amp and luckily so many military receivers have that detector output already on the back panel.:dance:

I've had more than one GPR-90 owner tell me they kept it because they loved the looks and build quality, not because of it's performance.

W1GUH
05-14-2010, 07:45 AM
It does make a nice display piece, but I sold mine when I moved into a place where I couldn't use it. It got a good home; someday I'll take a drive out and visit it.

The GPR-90 by itself was as has been talked about. But add the GSB-1 SSB adapter and it becomes much, much more interesting. It's got that 17kc IF and a very flat filter with very low phase distortion & it's a pleasure to use on sideband. The only problem with that setup is that the S-Meter becomes kind of useless. The GSB-1 has it's own AGC, and the AGC in the '90 needs to be "off" to work OK with the adapter. Sure wish they'd put an S-Meter on the adapter, or worked out a better way to do the AGC.

"It's SOP these days to tap the detector output to an external audio amp and luckily so many military receivers have that detector output already on the back panel."

Just like a 75s-3x! Only there it's disgused as a "Sidetone In" jack.