PDA

View Full Version : router issue

W5GA
05-07-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a Netgear WGR 614 that seems to require a power down reset a couple times per week. The symptoms are really slow or no page loads, DNS errors etc. Is this a configuration issue? If so, can someone tell what I'm doing wrong?

n0iu
05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a D-Link wireless router and a Westell DSL modem and I honestly don't know the last time I needed to do a reset on either of these. By any chance is the router in your "shack"? Some brands and models are more susceptible to RFI than others.

N9FE
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I've heard the same. Even putting the router at the other end of the house won't do it.

W5GA
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
No, router isn't in the shack. In fact, I'm not even QRV at the moment, and haven't been for 9 months...no antennas up.

WØTKX
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Is it overheating? Blast it with the "can-o-air".

W5GA
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Is it overheating? Blast it with the "can-o-air".
It appears that we have a winner! Thanks, Dave....seems to have done the trick.

HUGH
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a router notorious for overheating so I took it apart and stuck tiny bits of heatsink on the chips with superglue. It rarely requires a reboot now in spite of being in the boiler/furnace room.

KC2UGV
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I have a router notorious for overheating so I took it apart and stuck tiny bits of heatsink on the chips with superglue. It rarely requires a reboot now in spite of being in the boiler/furnace room.

I don't think the router was a problem... In a boiler room, most electronic devices will fail lol

w3bny
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
come one... somebody say "if you used linux or a mac you wouldn't have these problems"

KC2UGV
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
come one... somebody say "if you used linux or a mac you wouldn't have these problems"

No worries. The unit he is using runs embedded linux :P

w3bny
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
:wall:

n2ize
05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I have Verison FiOS service and they supplied me with a router. After a couple months of using it I noticed some problems. Every so often the router would slow down, start spitting out error messages, and then would freeze, requiring a reboot. Then, finally one night there was no internet access and I found the router simply was crapped out. In any event they replaced the router. The new one was electronically identical to the old one. The only difference was the outer case. the case was smaller and there were a heck of a lot more vent holes all around the case. My guess is that the router had some serious cooling issues. The new one has given me no problems. The old one was probably overheating.

ka8ncr
05-23-2010, 09:23 AM

My wife's first gen Macbook Pro will get wonky because of heat. The good news is that it keeps her tea warm.