PDA

View Full Version : Got one of These Lying Around?

W3WN
05-06-2010, 03:29 PM
In the pre-Bencher days, Butternut sold a series of V/UHF colinear verticals, for all practical purposes they're J-Poles.

The 2-meter flavors were the "trombone" 2MCV and the "double trombone" 2MCV-5.

Anyone got one of these sitting around that they don't need anymore?

The reason I'm asking... Eric N3DWS found out that I have an "NOS" 2MCV-5 that I picked up from R&L quite a few years ago on close-out. He's looking for one, and to be honest, his monthly e-mails to me are starting to become annoying... he's not taking "no thanks" for an answer.

So I'm hoping to find one somewhere just so that I can get him off my back.

I know, not the most noble of reasons, and I know he should do his own digging (he has a classified on QTH.COM right now looking for one, so he is trying)... I'm just tired of the emails. I'm also just ornery enough right now... never mind. I don't want to sound like I won't sell it out of spite, but I had no intentions of selling it in the first place, so this is the next best thing. I hope.

KG4CGC
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
In the pre-Bencher days, Butternut sold a series of V/UHF colinear verticals, for all practical purposes they're J-Poles.

Anyone got one of these sitting around that they don't need anymore?

The reason I'm asking... Eric N3DWS found out that I have an "NOS" 2MCV-5 that I picked up from R&L quite a few years ago on close-out. He's looking for one, and to be honest, his monthly e-mails to me are starting to become annoying... he's not taking "no thanks" for an answer.

So I'm hoping to find one somewhere just so that I can get him off my back.

I know, not the most noble of reasons, and I know he should do his own digging (he has a classified on QTH.COM right now looking for one, so he is trying)... I'm just tired of the emails. I'm also just ornery enough right now... never mind. I don't want to sound like I won't sell it out of spite, but I had no intentions of selling it in the first place, so this is the next best thing. I hope.

Kind of reminds me of f$%ktards on ebay that hassle you sell to them before an auction starts.
Yeah right dude, I don't care how bad you need it for work. Play the game and bid.

BTW, what you are doing is noble, it is just a shame you have to do it for him.

KJ3N
05-06-2010, 05:31 PM

A simple email filter to the bit bucket will take care of that. :evil:

K7SGJ
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=W3WN;223420]In the pre-Bencher days, Butternut sold a series of V/UHF colinear verticals, for all practical purposes they're J-Poles.

<snip>

If it were corroded, would it be the old "Rusty Trombone"?

W3WN
05-06-2010, 08:26 PM
A simple email filter to the bit bucket will take care of that. :evil:

I may have to resort to that. Haven't QUITE reached that stage... yet... but I'm almost there...

W5IEI
05-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Will you sell it to me ? :)

W3WN
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Will you sell it to me ? :)That would be spiteful and vindictive... and a little mean.

I'd rather have another Pina Colada. But it's too early in the morning.

W3WN
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
After giving the matter some thought overnight... I've added Eric to my blocked list.

He's point blank said he's going to continue to harass me until I give in. Who needs that grief?

So if anyone has an old 2MCV-5 and feels like negotiating with him, be my guest. But no need to do it on my behalf.

KG4CGC
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
and feels like negotiating with him
Wait, is he begging AND not willing to pay you top dollar?

W3WN
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Wait, is he begging AND not willing to pay you top dollar?
He is begging... more like demanding... but not taking "thanks but no thanks" for an answer.

It's not a question of "top dollar" or for that matter any dollar. I told him from the first email that mine wasn't for sale, period.

N4VGB
05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Old antenna fixation, very strange.

If it were mine, I'd be getting into this guys pockets big time and then buy a newer and much better performing antenna.

KG4CGC
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
He is begging... more like demanding... but not taking "thanks but no thanks" for an answer.

It's not a question of "top dollar" or for that matter any dollar. I told him from the first email that mine wasn't for sale, period.
I understand. I would think that Mr. Demanding would have at least however, offered you an outrageous amount of money. That's all I'm saying.
No Sale means No Sale! Bad touch! Bad Touch!

W3WN
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Old antenna fixation, very strange.

If it were mine, I'd be getting into this guys pockets big time and then buy a newer and much better performing antenna.
Well, in part it's nostalgia. When I worked at the ham store, I sold a lot of these, and the one I had at my old QTH performed well for years. I know nothing lasts forever... but I liked this antenna.

Besides, considering that I haven't opened the box ever, and I've had it for years, who knows what condition the aluminum is in? I sell it, turns out something isn't right, I'd never hear the end of it.

The antenna has stayed in the box because right now I have limited antenna room, and I need the dual-band antenna up right now.

Well, enough is enough. I'm sorry he found out I had it, and I'm sorry I even opened this thread. The matter is closed, the antenna stays right where it is, and that is that.

W3WN
05-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I understand. I would think that Mr. Demanding would have at least however, offered you an outrageous amount of money. That's all I'm saying.
No Sale means No Sale! Bad touch! Bad Touch!
I think he did offer me a price at one point... a little more than I paid for it, but not much more.

That said, if I inquire further, it implies that I'm opening negotiations. I have no interest then or now in selling it, so why bother?

KG4CGC
05-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I think he did offer me a price at one point... a little more than I paid for it, but not much more.

That said, if I inquire further, it implies that I'm opening negotiations. I have no interest then or now in selling it, so why bother?
Perfectly reasonable attitude. I do not blame you not one bit. Guy is a moron. Probably had to end up raping his wife to convince her to marry him. Strange world we live in.

KG4CGC
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
That last post was a joke folks.

KA5PIU
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Hello.

Why does her not simply hire somebody for a "finders fee" to get it for him?
I can just see it now, cheap ham goes up to the kind of person who does this type of thing and offers them a few bucks, and gets robbed for dissing the guy.
Now that would be fun to watch.

W3WN
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello.

Why does her not simply hire somebody for a "finders fee" to get it for him?
I can just see it now, cheap ham goes up to the kind of person who does this type of thing and offers them a few bucks, and gets robbed for dissing the guy.
Now that would be fun to watch.
Are you suggesting that that yutz hire a professional thief to steal the antenna from me?

Not funny, not in the slightest.