PDA

View Full Version : Dragging 'RH's 10M thread over here...

N8YX
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=245972

Along with a similar one:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=247120

Both of these gentlemen make valid points.

Last evening - while wiring up the other 'R' of my SO2R setup - I parked a receiver on 28.400 to check out potential band openings.

* Everyone and their brother was on that frequency;
* The ever-present garbage 10M 'export' radios were out in force, and you could easily pick them out via their crappy, splattering audio;
* A station who wanted to break into a conversation did so by saying "QSK";
* Instead of calling CQ, an area station announced his presence with "KB8-blah-blah-blah listening";
* The DX was out in force: 'First personal is...' from a PY2. :wall:

Isn't anyone educating newcomers in correct operating procedures these days?

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Isn't anyone educating newcomers in correct operating procedures these days?

In a word...... no. :roll:

W3WN
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
What he said.

You try, and you're either ignored, or they tell you that you're an old member of the Friendly Amateur Radio Transmitting Society. At best.

I really loved K8YZK's comment (post 19 in the first thread). Somehow, Ham Universe's website and the FCC's decision to give Tech's limited 10 meter privileges is "another fine mess thanks to the ARRL." No explanation for that logic, but considering his signature line is quoting Jack Nicholson's character from A Few Good Men saying that he doesn't give a dang what you think you're entitled to, I don't expect one, either.

Then there's AG3Y's commend (post 10 in the second thread) deriding OO's. Yeah, heaven forbid that someone who observes bad operating point it out to you.

W5RB
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
What he said.

You try, and you're either ignored, or they tell you that you're an old member of the Friendly Amateur Radio Transmitting Society. At best.

Sounds like a good name for a club to generate some OF activity on 10 . You need 4 members , if FCC ever questions the "club" aspect . KF3ART is vacant.......
:snicker:

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Werd! :werd:

Then there's AG3Y's commend (post 10 in the second thread) deriding OO's. Yeah, heaven forbid that someone who observes bad operating point it out to you.

Yeah, people get so defensive when you point out their stupidity. :snicker:

N9FE
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
First personal.. Oy yae.. Were they destinated too.