PDA

View Full Version : brand new linux user trying to get the wifi working on this laptop

kb2crk
05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
i picked up a n older dell c-840 laptop dirt cheap on ebay. the hard drive i am using used to have xp home on it in an old compaq. i have installed freespire on it and after a little research i have found that madwifi should work for my belkin f5d7010 ver. 5100 wireless notebook card. the computer is a Dell latitude c-840 with a p4m at 1.6 ghz.
i have tried several times to download madwifi but when i go to unzip it it says it cant be saved on the drive.
this is the first time i have attempted linux. any help would be appreciated as i really have no clue how to go forward with it.

kb2crk
05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
ok i know i am doing something wrong but i dont have a clue what it is. i just tried downloading google chrome and it says it should self install.
i get the same error message as i did when trying to unzip the madwifi stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated.

kb2crk
05-04-2010, 01:47 AM
tried to update the firefox browser and it is a no go also. would i be better off dumping the freespire and loading up ubuntu? i have a copy of that also. i used the freespire because it gave me the option of saving what was already on the hard drive. nothing ended up being saved anyway so a clean sweep is not out of the question. any help at all is greatly appreciated.

and a quick edit. trying to update the freespire now and even that seems to be a no go.

W4GPL
05-04-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm not going to engage in a Linux distribution pissing match, but if you expect any wide spread support, using Freespire is a really bad way to go. It has like 1% of the Linux market. You might find Ubuntu works with your wireless out of the box, though I prefer Fedora. Almost all major Linux distros provide the option of maintaining you existing OS installs (e.g. Windows).

I couldn't begin to offer you any advice regarding Freespire -- not all Linux distros are created equal.

kb2crk
05-04-2010, 02:13 AM
thank you for your honest opinion. i have never messed with linux in any way shape or form so it is all new to me. ubuntu would have partitioned the hard drive if xp didn't have too much of it tied up. i had a freespire disk and it supposedly had a save data function on the install. that is why i tried it. i think tomorrow it will be time to wipe it clean and put the ubuntu on it. i may try fedora down the road. i figure i can only learn by trying and it looks like freespire was a mistake. thank you for the advice.

W4GPL
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
I've been using RedHat based (Fedora) installations since I was 13 years old. It's what I know best and I'm a creature of habit. I concede it's not the most "newbie" friendly distribution. Fedora adheres to a strict anti-patent/anti-commercial package (software) policy, which makes you go thru a 3rd party for various functions. Ubuntu has a more liberal policy and very much focuses on the end user -- Fedora considers themselves a test base for future version of RedHat Enterprise Linux & RedHat Desktop.

The majority of Linux users on this forum use Ubuntu - I'm in the minority by all accounts.

kb2crk
05-04-2010, 02:44 AM
thanks again.
linux is new to me and this is the first time i have ever messed with it. hell i didn't mess around much with dos until i started screwing around with the old motorola radios. i am one who is comfortable messing around with the hardware trying new things but for the most part a newbie at the software. maybee in the future i may delve deeper in but for now i am going to try to stick to the K.I.S.S. principle until i get a little more comfortable with it. i really dont want to have to try and find a copy of XP pro again.....lol

W4GPL
05-04-2010, 02:47 AM
You can always go with VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/).. let's you run an OS within an OS. So you can experiment with as many distributions as you want without having to worry about partition issues. Just a thought..

kb2crk
05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
i may try that but so far i plan on dumping freespire. i cant get it to update or load anything new. i cant even get firefox to update in it and it is having problems with most of the sites i frequent. i will be trying ubuntu tomorrow when i get up and i do believe it will do better.
thanks for the tips.
paul

kb2crk
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
it is up and running on ubuntu... freespire is gone. it is running great and yes ubuntu found and installed the belkin wifi card on install. with this computer running like this i may go ahead and change my 2.2 ghz dell laptop to linux. ubuntu updated and flash players loaded. google chrome in use now.
thanks for the help.

kd8dey
05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
tried to update the firefox browser and it is a no go also. would i be better off dumping the freespire and loading up ubuntu? i have a copy of that also. i used the freespire because it gave me the option of saving what was already on the hard drive. nothing ended up being saved anyway so a clean sweep is not out of the question. any help at all is greatly appreciated.

and a quick edit. trying to update the freespire now and even that seems to be a no go.

I tried Linux a little while back when I had to replace my HDD.

I tried a few different flavors. Ubuntu 9.04 had a bug in the Wi-Fi setup, I downloaded 9.10, problem solved. maybe if the free-spire version you have is based on the same 9.04 distribution, that the wi-fi connection package has the same buggy version?

I got a 320gb hard-drive, split it into 2 equal partitions. Installed windows XP on the primary partition.

Then installed Ubuntu 9.10 on the second partition.

After getting Ubuntu up and running I discovered that Ubuntu for some unknown reason had taken over half of my windows partition as well.

After discovering this, Along with getting stuck in terminal mode trying to install programs not listed in the depository, yada yada yada, I finally got pizzed off, wiped everything and went back to windowz.

n2ize
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I've been using RedHat based (Fedora) installations since I was 13 years old. It's what I know best and I'm a creature of habit. I concede it's not the most "newbie" friendly distribution. Fedora adheres to a strict anti-patent/anti-commercial package (software) policy, which makes you go thru a 3rd party for various functions. Ubuntu has a more liberal policy and very much focuses on the end user -- Fedora considers themselves a test base for future version of RedHat Enterprise Linux & RedHat Desktop.

The majority of Linux users on this forum use Ubuntu - I'm in the minority by all accounts.

I'm also a Fedora user. :)

KA5PIU
05-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Hello.

I like Fedora but play with Red Hat.
This machine is Ubuntu and 7 dual boot, normally in Ubuntu, like now.
I have never had any trouble with any Linux partitioning.
But, Linspire, formally Lindows, is an interesting solution, a windows look and feel in a Linux distro'.
Sorry to hear you were having trouble with it.
My only trouble with it would be when I would load it on someones machine and they would forget that it was indeed Linux and try and get a Windows app to run.

kb2crk
05-05-2010, 03:12 AM
i was using freespire which is a version of linspire. it did have a windows look about it but i could not get it to update and the programs that were availible would not decompress and install. i had the ubuntu disk also and that is what i am using right now. i am quite impressed with the way it is working on this old 1.6 ghz laptop. my other laptop which is a 2.2 ghz dell takes forever and a day just to get started up and the antivirus and anti spyware now has about 20% of the 20 gb harddrive tied up. this starts up in less than a minute and google chrome is just flying on it.

KC2UGV
05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
RHEL 5 For Businesses who like to spend money, Ubuntu for me :)

n2ize
05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
it is up and running on ubuntu... freespire is gone. it is running great and yes ubuntu found and installed the belkin wifi card on install. with this computer running like this i may go ahead and change my 2.2 ghz dell laptop to linux. ubuntu updated and flash players loaded. google chrome in use now.
thanks for the help.

Bear in mind that you can also switch to Linux and you can still keep Windows. What I have done on a few machines as home is make them into dual boot machines. On laptops I simply partition the drive and make one partition (of suitable size) a Windows partition and the remaining partitions are for Linux (or other OS's). Then I install a bootloader and the user can which OS they want to boot into. On larger desktop machines I usually install 2 separate drives. One for Windows, the other Linux.

On one laptop machine that had Windows pre installed I was able to resize and repartition the drive without hosing the Windows.

kb2crk
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
the copy of windows that was on the hard drive was fubar'd i my old copy was scratched beyond recognition.

N8GAV
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I think every Linux user should try Gentoo:). And say words you never knew you could. Out of all the ones I have tried it's a toss up between Ubuntu and the Red Hat disto's for me. I have one box that is Ubuntu only and on a laptop XP Pro and Fedora.

W4GPL
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
RHEL 5 For Businesses who like to spend money, Ubuntu for me :)www.centos.org (http://www.centos.org) -- free rebuild of RHEL with hundreds of thousands of installs. Offered by most rent a box hosting companies like ThePlanet, FDC, LayeredTech, etc.

W4GPL
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I think every Linux user should try Gentoo:). And say words you never knew you could. Out of all the ones I have tried it's a toss up between Ubuntu and the Red Hat disto's for me. I have one box that is Ubuntu only and on a laptop XP Pro and Fedora.Gentoo has serious internal strife. Many of their build scripts are out of date.. and who wants to wait for 6 hours while you compile Firefox? If you go with Gentoo, you might as well read the Linux From Scratch how to. :p

KC2UGV
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
www.centos.org -- free rebuild of RHEL.

Problem with CentOS? For some reason, CEO's want to spend money to get a neck to wring. Confusing to say the least, but it's what the CEO's want. But, CentOS for QA and DEV environs.

W4GPL
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
That's a gross generalization, isn't it? We ran Centos at Sprint and <insert unnamed defense contractor here>. No one up the chain of command concerned themselves with support as long as the staff internally could handle the situation.

KC2UGV
05-05-2010, 02:57 PM
That's a gross generalization, isn't it? We ran Centos at Sprint and <insert unnamed defense contractor here>. No one up the chain of command concerned themselves with support as long as the staff internally could handle the situation.

True, it is a gross generalization. But, one that holds across pretty much every enterprise I've worked in. They want to buy support agreements.

WØTKX
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Because they are afraid of the technology, and refuse to hire expensive but effective personnel internally.

Oh wait... they wouldn't listen to their in house team anyway. Never mind.

N8GAV
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Gentoo has serious internal strife. Many of their build scripts are out of date.. and who wants to wait for 6 hours while you compile Firefox? If you go with Gentoo, you might as well read the Linux From Scratch how to. :p

Well Jeff I started a Gentoo box just to see IF I remember how to program a computer, since it's been 20 years when I played around doing so. I gave up. Like you said outdated and if I had Larry -The - Cow near me I would turned him into Hamburger :)