PDA

View Full Version : 'splain it to me, Lucy

KJ3N
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I posted this response (http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1928219&postcount=4) recently and got to wondering how these situations occur.

Now, I know that for a lot of people, ham radio is a fairly low priority (it is for me as well), but I can never seem to fathom how it takes anyone so long to do WAS (or DXCC, for that matter).

Is it too little time to operate? Is it crappy antennas? Operating from an apartment (this one I can understand)? Not enough interest to put forward the effort? Never operating even one contest? What....?

You gots some 'splainin' to do. :irked:

WX7P
05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Funny you should mention that.

I was reading this Heathkit history book last night. The author had been a ham since the '70's and his bio stated "still didn't have WAS". I thought it might be a joke. Maybe not.

It's probably because these guys don't qsl. Anyone can work WAS on Field Day from anywhere in the country with a modest antenna and 100 watts. It really doesn't even take much operating skill. On CW, it's even easier.

Must be some kind of weird "look at me" thing for some guy to he doesn't have WAS after being a ham for like forever.

KJ3N
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
It's probably because these guys don't qsl. Anyone can work WAS on Field Day from anywhere in the country with a modest antenna and 100 watts. It really doesn't even take much operating skill. On CW, it's even easier.

The guys who don't even bother with QSLs, I don't bother to count. I'm talking about the people who claim that they've actually been working on WAS for over 10, 20, 30 years and still don't have it. WTF? :wtf:

There are state QSO parties every year. Now, there are a few states that don't have them, but they usually show up in the regional QSO parties. The New England QSO party (Rhode Island, Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts) and the 7th Call Area QSO Party (Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming) are 2 examples.

I just don't get it. I worked 46 out of 50 states during the DE QSO party (one of the smallest QSO parties there is) in a weekend, using wire antennas and 100 watts on phone. The only states I missed were HI, AK, SD, and WY.

I still don't know how I missed SD and WY. Nobody was in those 2 states that weekend? :wtf:

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
75m
I've got Alabama!
NC!
And Mass of Two Shits.
Oh and Colorado!
20m Los Gatos CA via Los Cruces NM remote.
While it sounds like a crude joke, it's true.
I owe a pilot a QSL card.

N4VGB
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't see how it would be possible for anyone really trying to attain the basic WAS to take very long in accomplishing that goal?

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm in no hurry. No hurry what so ever.
What would really be impressive is if I got WASOAVCW.
That would be "Worked All States On A Very Crappy Wire."

n0iu
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
According to his bio, "I enjoy HF DXing and contesting." so yeah, I really don't get how you can help NOT getting WAS unless he only works DX contests! :nuts:

N9FE
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
75m
I've got Alabama!
NC!
And Mass of Two Shits.
Oh and Colorado!
20m Los Gatos CA via Los Cruces NM remote.
While it sounds like a crude joke, it's true.
I owe a pilot a QSL card.
Hey Hey we talked last year.. So you got the hick from the sticks too !

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey Hey we talked last year.. So you got the hick from the sticks too !
Are you the pilot who was in Charlotte?
God I'm a moron! (that's "moran" in Tea Speak)

N9FE
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Nah You, Ryan and i got on 75 the winter before last. Then one other night i hooked up with you on 3.916 or something like that.

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
That wasn't me sir. Some lurker hijacking my call perhaps.

N9FE
05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I could have swore it was you, i remember the tongue twister CGC call. ahh well we'll hook up,

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Ya gotta love when someone tries to get smart with you. :lol:

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1931791&postcount=10

You've been handed your ass, now run along.

KC2UGV
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Ya gotta love when someone tries to get smart with you. :lol:

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1931791&postcount=10

You've been handed your ass, now run along.

Hey, honest answer. I operate an hour or two a week, tops. Too much crap going on.

And, lesse... I only have a half a contact so far. I listen way more than I talk. If you like, I can hand your ass right back to you?

N8YX
05-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey, honest answer. I operate an hour or two a week, tops. Too much crap going on.

And, lesse... I only have a half a contact so far. I listen way more than I talk. If you like, I can hand your ass right back to you?
:popcorn:

W3WN
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
If someone REALLY want to get the WAS award, and only has a few hours a week to operate, there are several WAS nets around. 3905 Century Club (which started as the Bicentennial WAS net) on multiple bands & modes, OMISS, and the GERITOL nets come to mind.

Or wait for Sweepstakes. WAS on one if not both weekends is possible and for most practical.

Or, as others have mentioned, spend a few hours a weekend in the various station and regional QSO parties.

It's not hard.

Hell, I got my 80 & 40 meter SSB WAS in large part to the Century Club nets (but not entirely) back in 1984 (and most QSO's QRP with an Atlas 110, wish I still had that little rig), and I've since reworked all states outside of the nets on both phone and CW. If I really put what's left of my mind to it, I could probably finish off 20 15 & 10 in a few months, with what I've already worked... I just lost interest. Although 160 WAS is more challenging, and I only have about 8 states to go on that (have HI, need AK!) pending antenna repair before next winter.

In short: If you want it bad enough, you can earn it. You just have to want it.

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 10:20 AM

That's more than I operate on average, but I can still manage WAS in less than 10 years. :roll:

With an hour or 2 a week on some of the WAS nets out there, you should be able to do the lower 48 in less than 12 months. That's assuming you have a decent antenna. Maybe I'm assuming too much?

Not my problem you don't actually get on the air. Listening doesn't get you WAS, DXCC, or anything else, for that matter. You got to "make some noise" so people know you're out there.

KC2UGV
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
That's more than I operate on average, but I can still manage WAS in less than 10 years. :roll:

I'm glad, that in your situation, working an hour or two a week, you can get a WAS in less than ten years. You should be proud.

With an hour or 2 a week on some of the WAS nets out there, you should be able to do the lower 48 in less than 12 months. That's assuming you have a decent antenna. Maybe I'm assuming too much?
You might be assuming too much. Antennas cost money + time + real estate. Not every ham has those going for them. I'm glad in your situation you have the correct combination of that to be able to get WAS in a couple of hours a week.

But, heh. Until just now, I had no idea there was any such thing as a WAS Net.

And to add to that, you know nothing of the guy's situation. Maybe for 20 years of those 31 years or whatever, he was battling cancer, divorce, deaths in the family, or whatever other fucking reason for not getting WAS.

But, I guess it makes you feel better that you can do it, and probably have, and someone else can't or hasn't. You must feel real good. Hats off to you, you earned a piece of paper.

Not my problem you don't actually get on the air. Listening doesn't get you WAS, DXCC, or anything else, for that matter. You got to "make some noise" so people know you're out there.I never said I was aiming for that. Right now, I'm focusing on antenna work, and home brewing. I send out the occasional CQ to test shit out.

So, I hope it feels good. Penis envy contests, so much fun, right?

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Penis envy contests, so much fun, right?

The envy isn't on my end.

N8YX
05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Antenna raising party at Corey's house?

I've got wire and tools. Who's bringing insulators and coax...baluns and the rest?

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Antenna raising party at Corey's house?

I've got wire and tools. Who's bringing insulators and coax...baluns and the rest?

I'll bring the ladder line, insulators, and the 4:1 balun.

KG4CGC
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I can add Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin and West Virginia to 75m WAS.

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM

See? Not all that hard, is it? :-D

KG4CGC
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
See? Not all that hard, is it? :-D
I forgot to mention Delaware! LOL!
No, not hard and eventually, as conditions permit, I'm sure I'll hit more states.

KC2UGV
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
The envy isn't on my end.

I'm sure it isn't. That's why you weren't looking for an excuse to bash the guy over there because he voiced interest about earning WAS and hasn't in X years of operating.

N8YX
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
...he voiced interest about earning WAS and hasn't in X years of operating.
Heck, I've been licensed (and active on the air) for 30 years and I STILL don't have it...probably due to me not turning the cards in.

Granted, it is easy to do during a contest but doesn't really seem to be at the top of my priorities list. I'd rather tinker with the stuff and put it on the air to test.

N8YX
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I gotta get cards printed up first.

KG4CGC
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh wait, I'm not looking to accumulate cards for awards or whatever.
Nevermind! I'll be happy to send out whatever others might need though.

KJ3N
05-04-2010, 12:02 PM
That's why you weren't looking for an excuse to bash the guy over there because he voiced interest about earning WAS and hasn't in X years of operating.

I'm not out to bash anyone. I just don't get how a guy who's into DX chasing and contests (by his own admission), hasn't at least "stumbled" into WAS. If you contest and chase DX, you've got the antennas to do it.

I never set out to do WAS; it just happened. Same goes for basic DXCC. All I've ever done is get on the air. That's all it seemed to take.

Guys who don't have good antennas I understand why it takes them so long. Guys who contest and chase DX don't really have an excuse, IMO.

suddenseer
05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I never gave WAS, or DXCC much of a thought. I just did not care. I found the Geritol net by accident. I asked what it was all about. They found a newbie. 6 hours later, I was 5 states short of WAS. I got the other 5 the next night. I got all 50 cards. I did not submit it. I just realized it really did not add money to my bank account, or anything tangable to my life. I did not submit to the ARRL, but got a cool certificate from the Geritol Net for working 50 hams with extra class callsigns. I only had an advanced callsign (KG8HT) at the time. I got the N8TB call on election night 1996 after getting a vanity callsign.

I did WAS on 40M cw in a weekend during a SS contest. I only got 36 qsl cards. I even mailed the jerks a SASE, no reply. I just realised I have better use of my time. I don't need a WAS on my wall. I already have a nudie calander there anyway.

KJ3N
05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't need a WAS on my wall. I already have a nudie calander there anyway.

:agree:

:rofl:

KG4CGC
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
originally posted by suddenseer http://forums.hamisland.images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.hamisland.showthread.php?p=223231#post22323 1) i don't need a was on my wall. I already have a nudie calander there anyway.

:agree:

:rofl:
that ↑↑↑

W3WN
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I never gave WAS, or DXCC much of a thought. I just did not care. I found the Geritol net by accident. I asked what it was all about. They found a newbie. 6 hours later, I was 5 states short of WAS. I got the other 5 the next night. I got all 50 cards. I did not submit it. I just realized it really did not add money to my bank account, or anything tangable to my life. I did not submit to the ARRL, but got a cool certificate from the Geritol Net for working 50 hams with extra class callsigns. I only had an advanced callsign (KG8HT) at the time. I got the N8TB call on election night 1996 after getting a vanity callsign.

I did WAS on 40M cw in a weekend during a SS contest. I only got 36 qsl cards. I even mailed the jerks a SASE, no reply. I just realised I have better use of my time. I don't need a WAS on my wall. I already have a nudie calander there anyway.
Not everyone wants the certificate on the wall. And that's fine.

The important thing, though, is that you did it, you know it, and you have the cards in hand to prove it (even if you don't feel like showing them on demand). You have Worked All States.

And if the day comes that you want the official wallpaper (and the new certificate looks a helluvalot better than the old one), you can, if you so choose, apply for it with a clear conscience.

suddenseer
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Not everyone wants the certificate on the wall. And that's fine.

The important thing, though, is that you did it, you know it, and you have the cards in hand to prove it (even if you don't feel like showing them on demand). You have Worked All States.

And if the day comes that you want the official wallpaper (and the new certificate looks a helluvalot better than the old one), you can, if you so choose, apply for it with a clear conscience.

You have made a good point there. I have to agree with you, and 3N. I have never been what I consider a major operator. I am like a bored teenager with my ways to spend time. I jump from one hobby to the next. So if I can accidently stumble on a WAS net while scanning the band (I was headed for 3.518 after the ohio ssb net) anyone should be able to do it. I rarely used ssb, so that makes it funny that I did WAS on a single weekend using a mode I rarely use. In fact, I only have the supplied hand mic (no vox). If I flip hobbies again, I might decide to go SSB I will have to upgrade. I am going to get my wires back up at the least. My A3 is in the garage in about 30 pieces. The traps don't appear to be damaged. Who knows, maybe an ISLAND net might be the reason to get me off my ass, and back into operating?

KC2UGV
05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm not out to bash anyone. I just don't get how a guy who's into DX chasing and contests (by his own admission), hasn't at least "stumbled" into WAS. If you contest and chase DX, you've got the antennas to do it.

I never set out to do WAS; it just happened. Same goes for basic DXCC. All I've ever done is get on the air. That's all it seemed to take.

Guys who don't have good antennas I understand why it takes them so long. Guys who contest and chase DX don't really have an excuse, IMO.

If that's the case, I apologize. However, in that thread, it appeared you were just looking for a reason to bash him to me.

W5IEI
05-09-2010, 07:22 AM
I've probably WAS several times over,not sure.
I'm a what rig,antenna,mic you running kinda guy.
I do enjoy busting pileups with my new antenna,but I've never sent a QSL card in my life,and never asked for one.
Wierd HUH?

suddenseer
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I do enjoy busting pileups with my new antenna,but I've never sent a QSL card in my life,and never asked for one.
Wierd HUH?

Not wierd at all. I have not ordered new qsl cards since my callsign change back in 1996.

N9FE
05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Wierd HUH?
Me either. I know i've was'd . Thats all that needs to know. Don't have anything against was'ig, If fact i'll help them as much as they need. But i'm just not into the qsl'ing thing. Rather talk and get to know a person. One contest a year, Our qso party is way enough.

KG4CGC
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Me either. I know i've was'd . Thats all that needs to know. Don't have anything against was'ig, If fact i'll help them as much as they need. But i'm just not into the qsl'ing thing. Rather talk and get to know a person. One contest a year, Our qso party is way enough.
So wait, you went and was'd yourself?

N9FE
05-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I wonder how much it'd cost to get was'd in vegas ?

W3WN
05-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Not weird at all. I have not ordered new qsl cards since my callsign change back in 1996.
Neither have I. But then, I prefer to roll my own...

Now if I could just find the guys who used to be in the Hamvention flea market selling perforated card stock, I need to pick up a few bundles...

N9FE
05-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Neither have I. But then, I prefer to roll my own...

Now if I could just find the guys who used to be in the Hamvention flea market selling perforated card stock, I need to pick up a few bundles...
If you don't have the program to make your own cards, I can get it for you. KI9H Jim Prints out his own.

KG4CGC
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
If you're only going to print a few at a time at home, or not, I can help you with graphics.
The following was via open request from a club station. They wanted something a little risque but they weirded out on this.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/QSLCardFVARC_2copy.jpg

N9FE
05-09-2010, 11:05 AM
K9TIT is a real call and a real person. I laughed like hell when he checked in for field day !

suddenseer
05-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Truth is often funnier than fiction. KB8IPP is a gent named BEER:snicker: That is not a vanity call it was luck of the draw.

WØTKX
05-09-2010, 02:20 PM
A local ham buddy has the call:
WØOD

W3WN
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
If you don't have the program to make your own cards, I can get it for you. KI9H Jim Prints out his own.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't need help with the software. I'm running out of cardstock, and Avery 8577 can get expensive.

Hank KB3FNM provided me with some before he sold his shop, but sadly he became a Silent Key, so that avenue isn't around either.

If you're only going to print a few at a time at home, or not, I can help you with graphics.
The following was via open request from a club station. They wanted something a little risque but they weirded out on this.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/QSLCardFVARC_2copy.jpg
I seem to recall a discussion about that little bit of risque-ness from another site. In fact, I think I contributed a few thoughts to it...

There's nothing magic to printing your own QSL cards. If you can manage a mail merge, and understand how to sort your information correctly in a spreadsheet or database table correctly, you can push one out in almost no time.
2741This should give you an idea. Nothing fancy to it, created in Microsoft Publisher and the data converted into Excel from dBase. This is a "2 QSO Per" version, I also have them for up to 6 QSO's per card. (The boxes you see are for editing purposes, they don't actually print)

Nice thing about doing it this way, if I want a card for a contest or operating event, or something seasonal like this one (most people have seen the Incline in summer, but in winter?), I can make changes on the fly.

N4VGB
05-10-2010, 10:22 PM
A local ham buddy has the call:
WØOD

Big Woody's Tree Service, a local company. Some of his older trucks still have the old company saying on them.

"Because Everybody Likes a Big Woody"

N9FE
05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I don't need help with the software. I'm running out of cardstock, and Avery 8577 can get expensive.

Hank KB3FNM provided me with some before he sold his shop, but sadly he became a Silent Key, so that avenue isn't around either.

I seem to recall a discussion about that little bit of risque-ness from another site. In fact, I think I contributed a few thoughts to it...

There's nothing magic to printing your own QSL cards. If you can manage a mail merge, and understand how to sort your information correctly in a spreadsheet or database table correctly, you can push one out in almost no time.
2741This should give you an idea. Nothing fancy to it, created in Microsoft Publisher and the data converted into Excel from dBase. This is a "2 QSO Per" version, I also have them for up to 6 QSO's per card. (The boxes you see are for editing purposes, they don't actually print)

Nice thing about doing it this way, if I want a card for a contest or operating event, or something seasonal like this one (most people have seen the Incline in summer, but in winter?), I can make changes on the fly.

I suppose the thicker card stock in getting more expencive. You don't want to use the thin floppy stuff.

W3WN
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I suppose the thicker card stock in getting more expencive. You don't want to use the thin floppy stuff.
Strictly speaking, one could print the QSL on paper and just cut it up, since it's not actually being mailed anymore (most of us use envelopes to protect the card from the Post Office's machinery, right?)

Cardstock I can get, in many different thicknesses and colors. The trick is getting the perforated stuff, and that's not as popular an item as it used to be.

N8GAV
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey anyone know of an Linux program to print cards? And Ron if you find some card stock let me know it has dried up here too.

N9FE
05-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Linux . Don't know. But i'll ask

KC2UGV
05-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey anyone know of an Linux program to print cards? And Ron if you find some card stock let me know it has dried up here too.

Open office? You can set up the page formatting however you like.

W3WN
05-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Will do.

Hank KB3FNM(SK) spoiled me. He could get me just about anything I needed... but then, he ran a commercial printing company. Not that that's the only reason I miss him, mind you... our club (and our community) lost a very good man when cancer took him.

WØTKX
05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Most page layout and many word processing programs will do a fine job.

I made some with MSWord and perforated card stock. StarOffice?

N8GAV
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Yea I forgot about Open Office, I am working on something will post it when I am done

N8GAV
05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Here's my first attemp with Open Office and a jpeg. What do you guys think?