PDA

View Full Version : Yet another WTF laptop glitch

W1GUH
04-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Not really looking for answers, this concerns my work laptop -- don't really need a fix because there's a shiny new machine waiting for me in the home office & it looks like I'll get to spend some time there next week. This is only to share this wierd symptom.

It's an HP laptop. Out of the office I use it nekkid, in the office I put it on a docking station. What it's doing is it works just fine in the docking station, but when I take it to the hotel it refuses to power up. Argh! To make this even more interesting, yesterday just before I left work I shut it down in the docking station, pulled it off, and checked to see if it had "fixed itself". Yep, it powered up. Cool, I thought, it's fixed. But when I got to the hotel, it again wouldn't power up. WTF?

Well, not my problem. Well, actually it's a good feature! It means I have a good excuse for not working or checking emails off-site! :lol: :dance: :monkeydance:

But, still, a big WTF?, over....

W4RLR
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Check the power settings and see if you are set for high performance. Chances are your laptop is not going into sleep mode when you take it away from the docking station. The batteries go dead between the time you leave the office and the time you set up shop elsewhere. On my Toshiba Satellite, the built in battery is good for about 45 minutes in high performance mode. Then I have to plug it in to get it to work.

Thankfully, I have the Toshiba set up on a RAM mount in the van, when the generator is running, the computer runs on AC power. It only uses the battery pack between appointments.

KC2RPP
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
junk battery, send laptop to me and just say nothign

n0iu
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Switch hotels??