PDA

View Full Version : Need nut, bolt, washer specs for Rohn 25 tower

W4RLR
04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm going to try and get the tower up in the next few weeks. Does anyone know the sizes and grade specs for the nuts, bolts, and washers to put the thing together. I have the tower sections, but none of the hardware.

Any help would be appreciated. I thank you for your support.

N8YX
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
At a minimum I would go with Grade 8 stainless. I have an area friend - Marty, N8XPK - who is a tower rigger. You might try getting in touch with him (bakertower_atsign_neo.rr.com) and asking his advice. Tell him I sent you.

N9FE
04-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Yep.. Just grade 8 stainless. Lock washers and anti seeze will do ya just fine.. You don't need to buy them from Rohn. Call around, You'll find the best price. www.winetwork.org (http://www.winetwork.org) Len will tell you more info you need to know. His email is on the website.

W4RLR
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I figured Grade 8 stainless, but there are two sizes of bolts. Anyone know the size and length of the bolts?

N9FE
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
It should say on rohn's site. If not i'll find out for ya. I work with three tower guys here. I should say i'm there weather man slash lightning detector. 3/8 corse thread with 1/2 inch heads 1 1/2 long comes to mind. But i'll find out forshure.

N9FE
04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
OK Heres the deal From da tower man. 5/16 fine thread 1 1/2 long is the one size and the other is 1/4 fine thread 1 1/2 long. He says don't waste your money on stainless. Reg Grade 8 is just fine. Lock washers and a dab of anti seeze so it comes apart in the future. Also knock the burrs and galvanizing out of the holes with spud pin.

W4RLR
04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
OK Heres the deal From da tower man. 5/16 fine thread 1 1/2 long is the one size and the other is 1/4 fine thread 1 1/2 long. He says don't waste your money on stainless. Reg Grade 8 is just fine. Lock washers and a dab of anti seeze so it comes apart in the future. Also knock the burrs and galvanizing out of the holes with spud pin. Thanks! I go to Ace Hardware tomorrow! As they say in Germany, donkey shorts!

N4VGB
04-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks! I go to Ace Hardware tomorrow! As they say in Germany, donkey shorts!

Then it's off to Shakespeare for one of their big HF marine mobile antennas??? :lol:

kf0rt
04-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Don't forget to lube the leg interfaces, too (where one section goes into the next).

I forget what we used to use for that, but it'll make it a lot easier to get the sections apart years from now. Bit of axle grease, maybe? Sucks when you have to dig out a scissor jack to pry the sections apart.

w3bny
04-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Unless you need them like right darn now.

I would buy in bulk from McBastard-Carr

KC9GBM
05-01-2010, 06:20 AM
I use Anti Seize for the nuts and bolts and the tower joints.

Call your tower friend and ask why they use 1/4 and 5/16 because I really do not get it but I drill them out and use 5/16 on both, I have two 70 foot Rohn 25 towers and when I am in the air, the fewer tools the better!

The Anti Seize works wonders, brush it on at the top of each nipple, don't go crazy with it! That just makes a leaking mess.

I put my tower together on the ground first so there will be no surprises in the air, you know like burrs from the galvanizing or bent nipples, we all hate a bent nipple :rofl:

We tend to skimp on things,

NEVER EVER SKIMP ON SAFETY! EVER!

Remember I talked about the fewer tools the better? Attach a bucket to a rope that you can carry tools with you.

I am a mechanic and I use my cordless impact gun, you don't need one, but it makes time go by quicker, I duct tape the socket to the gun so I don't knock it off accidentally.

Have you ever seen the anti static wrist straps? See attached imagehttp://www.elexp.com/antistat/wrist_strap.jpg I bought a few because they are cheap

Again I use the duct tape and tape the coil strap to the wrench and the wrist strap to the bucket handle, it is a pain in the ass to climb up and down several times if you drop something!

Lastly, I attach a wrist strap to a SMALL ball peen hammer and a tapered drift punch. http://www.msmw.com/Pictures/Drift%20punches.JPG

I use the punch as an alignment tool, JUST IN CASE.

N9FE
05-01-2010, 06:35 AM
OK :whistle